Laptops Want to buy powerful lappy (multimedia/gaming, buying in Europe)

Hello people,

Its been a very long time since I posted, fact is being in office in switzerland access is highly restricted.

I would be grateful if you could suggest or help me choose a good gaming/multimedia lappy:

Not intense gaming otherwise i would ve chosen to upgrade my desktop but just casual gaming as in i play the latest games but not necessarily at the highest res (the 8600M is decent i guess)

Dx10 or Dx9 not sure really about this aspect, is it worth going to DX10 yet? Or if I stick to DX9 will i get left behind? Some inputs please.

HD DVD or Blu Ray one of them id like

Thing is am in europe so i dont know how much variety I have compared to US sites etc.

I narrowed down to the following options:

Alienware Area 51m 9750 (from alienware.fr) 7950 GTX but supports only DX9

Dell XPS series 7950 GTX but supports only DX9

Toshiba Qsimo G40 8600M supports DX10 but Gfx processor not as powerful 7950 series

Your views and any other suggestions are welcome

Thanks TE

Go for Asus G1S/V1S. These are pretty powerful systems with a 2 yr international warranty. Other option is to go for Zepto 6324 or Rock Xtrme 770. Thse both are custom built machines which will smoke the Dell/Alienware/Toshiba at a lesser price.

The Zepto notebooks look great will check out Rock Xtreme, Also the screen size as 17" would be nice. Any other suggestions, yes will also look at ASUS

Alienware and XPS systems are basically the same machines as Zepto and Rock, just fancy graphics. All these systems are built by Taiwan manufacturers Compal or Clevo. Thats why no point buying overpriced Alienware systems.

Is the Toshiba Qsimo series a good choice, the DX10 lappies dont really seem to have much of an advantage in whatever reviews Ive read and taht 8600 Miobile series are not too powerful i think for casual decent res gaming. Any thougts on this

the newer Sager based systems have a 8700m GT card in them. You can look for them at Rock direct. Another nice option for you will be the Asus C90S which has a user upgradable gfx card. Infact this is the main advantage of Sager and Asus systems over normal Dell/Toshiba systems.

And even 8600m GT is good enough for all current and future games in next 2-3 yrs. the 128 MB GDDR3 8600m GT in my MBP runs even Bioshock without a hitch.

The rock direct lappys are nice really. Are you guys of the opinion that the 8600/8700 gfx chipsets are good enough for casual who like to play the newest games?

8700m is really the best DX10 card in the market today for notebooks. And no one is really clear whether 8800 series will come to notebooks at all coz even 8700m is coming only in 17" notebooks. The only possible alternative is HD 2600 XT which is there only in the 20" HP HDX.

As far as these cards are concerned, for a casual gamer, theese should be more than good enough.

Guys, I got my lappy, its Toshiba X200-16z, here are the specs:

satelitte X200-16z:
core 2 duo T7300
2 GB DDR 667
2 * 200GB 4200 RPM Sata Drives (i guess this is a little slow)
8700M GT 256 MB dedicated
HD DVD Drive
screen 17" WSXGA (1680 * 1050)
Nvidia 163.75 Drivers from laptop video to go$
4 harman Kardon speakers and a subwoofer integrated
OS Windows Home Premium Vista 32 bit

All in all this is the only version available from Toshiba for the X200 here in Europe, in the US they have the X205 Sli1 and SLi3 which have both 8600M GTs in SLI. I was finally debating on the ASUS W2W which has a HD2600 and higher screen res but in the end i wanted the faster GFX card and said that i could live with the lower screen res or at least 720p.Of course there was also the monster XPS 1730 but then it was just too expensive with a blu ray drive.

Is it true that the Windows Vista 32bit supports only a maximum of 2 GB or something like that , am not sure.

So far i have played the Crysis Beta, COD4 demo, Timeshift, UT3 demo and can play them all excpeting at 1280*1024 with no major lags. So far am very happy

gr8 choice davies but i believe that you should have gone for the Rock with the 7950GTX.The 7950GTX is not DX10 but no DX10 card can compare to the 7950GTX performance................

happy gamin......:)

Thanks, I know there were others available but I had get something here locally since buying would have cumersome, due to insufficient credit card limit etc. alos delivering to my home address while im inoffice is another problem. Shucks Bioshockis one scary game i must say. Next is to buy an HD DVD and see the playback. Amazing download speeds here i dont know how many GB i have downloaded from File planet over the weekend

OOh ya....Bioshock is one hell of a game.....xcellent....I am playin it and absolutely lovin it..........

Lucky you.....here I am managging with 256Kbps.....:)

Takes ages to download....but one of the better UL connections.....:)

Back