CPU/Mobo What is the 64 bit advantage?

1. Future proof.
2. Ram allocation raised
3. 64 bit register width. So technically when we have a programme fully configurable to use the extra width performance will increase.

On the note here, Deejay had said that even 32 bit has not been utilizied to its full potential yet.

Multi-tasking and graphics applications (not gaming) are close to my heart, so I just made the decision to go in for Intel P4 with HT instead of AMD Athlong 64.

I was inititally going in for

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (Socket 939)
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum / Asus A8N-E

Transcend 2 x 512mb DDR400
Seagate 160gb SATA

and the rest...

So now... which P4 with HT and which motherboard?

Please advise!

Hehe... I swear I hadn't decided to go in for Intel when I started this thread. I only just changed my mind. Been planning it for a month and now that my exams are over I can finally buy my system.

Hmm P4 3.2 ghz Presscot should be good.
Mobos I dunno abt the availibity but there is one one 925 chipset based mobo from Asus which contains the kitchen sink and all features... Expensive though.

Argh this is so confusing. I think I've changed my mind once again... AMD it is. The reason this time round is, the socket 939 will support dual core no...

Hey, he changed the decision within 30 minutes of the post saying he will buy a P4. Well how about getting a xenon system :)

and whats your budget, then only someone can give you a config. Also be specific like 60K-70K

So I'm a naturally indecisive person and I am confused because as much as I would like to go in for AMD 64 bit Intel HT seems to perform much better at multitasking/graphics and that had me kinda disillusioned. Don't resent me for it...

Hi

1)Firstly you have to be specific about your needs,requirements and expectations from your computer.
eg:You need to tell exactly what type of multitasking,what type of gaming applications.
Also,try to distribute weightage topics importantce wise.eg:10% to gaming.

2)Very important is knowing your budget and till when you will not upgrade your system again.

3)Also tell the sites and benchmarks which you are using as a source of knowledge and benchmarks,try to show the benchmarks if possible.

My vote too goes for AMD. Although Intel performs a tad better in certain graphics apps., it only marginal. Dude, go for da AMD, u won't regret it! :happy:

I recommend INTEL.Go for it,you wont get a better heater for the winters,a better frying pan to make some eggs.
Blah blah......
INtel is awesome dude go for it.
Its HOT in the real sense.

Darklord said:
I recommend INTEL.Go for it,you wont get a better heater for the winters,a better frying pan to make some eggs.

Blah blah......

INtel is awesome dude go for it.

Its HOT in the real sense.

well...INTEL serves you in the winter, but this is summer now :eek:hyeah: so go for AMD.....

SunMysore said:
well...INTEL serves you in the winter, but this is summer now :eek:hyeah: so go for AMD.....

YUP...INTEL for winter's cuz they r oohhhh soooo HOT :bleh: nd AMD for summer's cuz they r officially COOL :eek:hyeah: :bleh:

Another thing, AMD will let u run longorn, the future of all OS's , coming soon from Microsoft, while Intel won't, unless, you get the newest P4 600 Series which i doubt 'cause its not available in India till now

Back