Storage Solutions Which HDD/SSD to buy

atiamd

Adept
I need to buy one of the 2 things:

1) 1TB HDD:

Seagate ST31000524AS
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive (ST31000524AS) - Seagate: Flipkart.com

or WD10EARX
WD Caviar Green 1 TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive (WD10EARX) - WD: Flipkart.com

Which one is more reliable? Who honors warranty more? What is the RMA process for Seagate and WD? Seagate only has 1 year of warranty while WD has 2 years of warranty. But if Seagate provides onsite warranty or if it is more accessible, I'll buy it.

There are chances that I dont go for an HDD at all and go for an SSD. SSD needs to be a minimum of 120GB and should have a nice warranty and maximum reliability. I have never used one, so need to know from you guys, which one I should go for. I can spend maximum 6500 on it. There are kingston and OCZ available in that price. But, again, how is the RMA handled? Who takes care of it? WHich brand is more reliable/speedy etc. Please guide me in this. THanks.

Here is a link to the SSDs that I am looking at. If you have any other option from any other website/delhi store, let me know. Oh BTW, flipkart sucks. I'll open another thread to explain.

Internal Hard Drives - Buy Internal Hard Drives Online at Best Prices in India - Computer Components : Computers | Flipkart.com

Will the hard disk be used in a download rig? Yes go for regular Seagate ST31000524AS magnetic Hard disk. Absolutely NO SSD.

Go for SSd only if the machine is not used for prolonged downloads.

If you require an HDD for data dump then go for the green drive.

Thanks @flash23.....

These are 2 separate questions. Mutually exclusive. HDD wont replace SSD and vice versa. HDD is for the DL rig, but SSD is for the gaming rig.

Now, which HDD to buy. My questions are just related to warranty, hassles, known issues and such

For the SSD, I have never bought one, so am asking which one to go for in the price range (<6.5K) and having >= 120 gigs of space. Brand preference? Why? you get the picture...

Last edited by a moderator:
The Seagate you have mentioned has 1 year warranty, which is not good I have the same HDD which failed just a week ago after working tirelessly for about 15 months. While the WD mentioned has 2 year warranty, it is a green drive and not suitable for a download rig. I'd recommended WD blue if you can find one.
If you are looking towards Seagate check out Seagate ST2000DM001 2Tb which comes with 2 years warranty and will set you back by about 5850/-.

Regading RMA, Seagate has walk in service while WD along with walk in also provides pick up service. Though personally I haven't used WD I have read the pick up takes considerable time.

So to sum up Seagate and WD are pretty much the same, get the drive which has better warranty period even if it means a few hundred bucks extra. If it boils down to the only two HDDs you have mentioned then I will choose the WD one simply because it has double warranty.

Regarding SSD, I havent used one so can't say much. But seeing you requirement and budget they are only a few choices. Check out Buy 120GB SSD | 120GB SSD Price | Online 120GB Solid State Drive in India

Okay, so WD green is finalised.

Now, the question remains about SSD. Which brand is better in terms of reliability? @ALPHA17, @Gannu?

Here are the SSD's I would recommend --
  • Crucial M4 (Marvell controller)
  • OCZ Vertex4 (Marvell controller)
  • Corsair Neutron GTX (LAMD controller)
  • Any Intel SSD (SandForce controller)
Hope this helps, Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be looking for a new 1TB soon too. But external, as a replacement to my current WD Essential 1TB

Major point to remember:
1. Seagate replaces their drives with REFURBISHED drives. Your mileage from these will wary & for sure as hell knock off more from any resale value within the warranty period
2. WD's RMA is much better and is hassle free. They offer a very reliable home pickup for any defective drive & are prompt in RMA turnarounds. I've RMA'd twice with WD & it's been a hassle free experience.

LOL, someone hacked onlyssd.com

Edit: shiyaatt, did not realize its some hacker from Pakistan who did that. Nothing to laugh about anymore.... Won't say much over here.

Thanks guys. Crucial M4 is way out of budget for 120 Gb. OCZ has reliability issues going by the comments posted in forums worldwide and on newegg. That leaves me with Corsair and Kingston. Corsair is not available everywhere. So, I would like to know if there are any reliability issues with the Kingston drive. To be more specific, about this one:

Kingston V+200 120 GB SSD Internal Hard Drive (SVP200S37A/120G) - Kingston: Flipkart.com

If you're on a budget, get the Corsiar Force 3. Yea it's not got the fastest NAND but it offers a good performance for the price. Get it off Flipkart, they should have no trouble delvering to you locally.

Another big plus i chose Corsair - their absolute untouchable RMA service & warranty standards. What more can you ask for? If you really dont need the latest & greatest but just want to get somethings thats just right to make the move from HDD to SSD for OS handling, do give it a shot

Back