Which is a better phone: Sony Ericcson W705 or Nokia 5800?

Oli

Disciple
Hi friends,
I'm really confused as to which one is better:
The Sony comes with a 4gb card whereas the nokia comes with a 8gb card.
Sony:15800 rs approx
Nokia:19000 rs approx
The nokia has a 3.5mm headphone jack, the w705 does not, but you can use normal heaphones with the converter.

Which one is better in terms of overall quality, service, music quality (I feel sony is better, but I haven't heard Nokia). I would be using a creative ep-830 earplug for the sound. The sound quality will be the deciding factor.

Somebody please help, your comments are really appreciated.

See basically

If ur looking for a phone which will make a style statement and delivers Amazing Music Quality with reasonable video capabilities and being unique with the interface being Java get the SE.

And if ur looking for touchscreen and a common phone with Symbian Decent camera get the 5800

ShaTTeR said:
See basically
If ur looking for a phone which will make a style statement and delivers Amazing Music Quality with reasonable video capabilities and being unique with the interface being Java get the SE.

And if ur looking for touchscreen and a common phone with Symbian Decent camera get the 5800

Kingg_of_tech said:
Nothing beats w705 SQ. But when it comes to overall, 5800.

Thanks for the input guys!!!! Aprreciate the help:hap2:

According to me, the Nokia 5800 will have better sound quality than the W705 since the 5800XM uses a discrete sound processing chip while the W705 uses the main processor to do process sound.

Also sinc you will be using a converter to attach standard headphones to the W705, some noise or distortion may creep in(the wires inside the converter may not have been soldered properly or maybe due to inferior quality of wire used). So for getting best sound quality the earphones should always be attached directly to the sound output port of the phone.

^ Why Do u assume it?

I have used SE and I mean No Distortion was there. If he uses the headphones that come with it then There is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Though 5800 uses a seperate chip for sound proccessing it is still not that better than the SE

hotshot05 said:
According to me, the Nokia 5800 will have better sound quality than the W705 since the 5800XM uses a discrete sound processing chip while the W705 uses the main processor to do process sound.

Also sinc you will be using a converter to attach standard headphones to the W705, some noise or distortion may creep in(the wires inside the converter may not have been soldered properly or maybe due to inferior quality of wire used). So for getting best sound quality the earphones should always be attached directly to the sound output port of the phone.

ShaTTeR said:
^ Why Do u assume it?
I have used SE and I mean No Distortion was there. If he uses the headphones that come with it then There is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Though 5800 uses a seperate chip for sound proccessing it is still not that better than the SE
I kind of agree with shatter, because I have been using the w810 from 3 years, I felt that my brothers nokia 5610 (pic below) sounded nearly as good as the w810. Sony claims that it has introduced two new features in the sound section. Clear bass and clear stereo. Its on the website, you can check out the demo. So that should have made the sound quality even better.
As far as the 5800 is concerned, I feel that the sound quality would be the same as my brothers 5610 (because even the 5610 had a dedicated audio chip), but it just may not be better than the w705i, I may have to listen to a demo of both the phones before I can confirm that
nokia 5610:

dragon_unleash said:

I feel the scores of the 5800 are more because of the features. The phone has more features, I would agree. But the sound quality may not be as good as the sony ericsson. I'm just waiting to test both of them for sound.
I want the music to sound like a home theatre :)
That's why I will not be using the same headphones that come with the phone. I may use the sennheiser cx-500, or the sound magic pl-30 or the creative ep-830 (thats another story:rofl: ). All of these earphones are available on this forum under the dealers paradise section.
(mediahome.in is the regd dealer/member on this forum who sells them at a best rate), I've brought quite a few earphones from him for me and my friends

Nokia 5800 is far far better than SE W705.....Check out reliable sites like Mobile Review, GSM Arena, etc and find out......

As a SE user, I am not satisfied with the ear phone connector and lack of 3.5mm Jack really spoils the party.....

Raider123 said:
Nokia 5800 is far far better than SE W705.....Check out reliable sites like Mobile Review, GSM Arena, etc and find out......

As a SE user, I am not satisfied with the ear phone connector and lack of 3.5mm Jack really spoils the party.....

same here, I have been using se too. You have to keep adjusting the connector sometimes for the sound to come properly. But that has to done only once.

Thanks for replying. I feel that this thread will not only help me but all those who face a similar situation. will check out mobile reviews

I found a few comments about the phone on tech2 and thought that I'd post them here for the benefit of those facing a similar situation:
this phone at its best is bad if not worst. build quality, software issues are just too much to ask. as for hardware, it too has some very serious issues. so beware of buying this phone. best thing will be not to buy it at all.
devadatta @ Apr 03, 2009
hamre paas nahi hai bhai so kahe ka comment
banti @ Apr 03, 2009
@ Amit: I too had the exact same issue within 3 days of use. Sent it back to Nokia for replacement and lets hope it doesnt happen in the new set.

More than 52% phones have this same issue comin up...!! Din expect this frm Nokia. Thinking of replacing mine with E71 if this issue comes up again.
Vyom Neeraj @ Jan 23, 2009
it looks good, still waiting for n97 , i think n97 will be great mobile.
divya @ Jan 18, 2009
mast
bharat @ Jan 15, 2009
best phone of nokia 5800 xpressmusic
Ashokbhai Patel @ Jan 14, 2009
@rohit
hi,
i too had the same earpiece problem in my phone which i bought 2 days back. it seem every two outta three 5800 XM owner has similar earpiece volume problem. i got it replaced with new one and keeping my fingure crossed. I googled this issue and concluded that fault is in hardware/firmware assembly . Donno wen Nokia is gonna address this?
Amit @ Jan 13, 2009
I got my Nokia 5800 in the launch cermony in Bangalore. Boy! I cant say if its an iPhone killer or not but definitely this piece from Nokia rocks. Sure iPhone has its positives and Nokia its flaws; but that is only one side of the coin.
iPhone lovers! nothing is perfect in this universe. Not even your iPhones. And most of these praises for iPhone will come from people who have already bought it for a bomb and are not able to digest a competitive product for much less meant for the masses. They seem to be pure jealous as they lose their tags of exclusive touchscreen mobile owners.
All that aside, yes there are a few glitches in Nokia 5800, but at the end of the day it is an absolute VFM. (actually a bit more than that; considering I got a Sennheiser headset worth 4k free with it! :)
Partha @ Jan 12, 2009
I had pre-booked the Nokia 5800 and got it on 2nd Jan...

I must say it is an awesome mobile device...I never expected this much from Nokia...

The best thing abt it is tht Nokia hasn't gone abt imitating the iPhone... but have made there very own touchscreen smartphone..

Kudos to Nokia...
Aditya Shah @ Jan 12, 2009
gaawkk,.....nokia 5800 *drools
hey tech2,.....PLEASE HOLD A CONTEST WITH THIS PHONE AS THE AWARD
(and then make me win:p)
ashutosh singhal @ Jan 12, 2009
nokia had a made great phone after long time i will may be three year after it rock it price , looks and above all it a nokia phone great job i had mine and what about you?
mukesh jain @ Jan 12, 2009
nokia had a made great phone after long time i will may be three year after it rock it price , looks and above all it a nokia phone great job i had mine and what about you?
mukesh jain @ Jan 12, 2009
i have it already and it has a few glitches. the preloaded memory card got corrupted within minutes of use. the replacement card won't have this content on it.
also the earpiece speaker changes volume abruptly when within a call. apparently this issues is pretty common with this model. you can read nokia's official forums for this. and it's just the beginning.
3 days since i bought this and not a single day without a problem. i'd say wait for some time before these glitches are addressed.
i'm not bad mouthing nokia but i'm pretty frustrated.
i got rid of n82 because of pathetic battery life. e71 is a gem of a phone but seems nokia is back to square one with this one. nokia are you reading this?
rohit gowaikar @ Jan 12, 2009
this phone is nice only in batman, there are better phones in the market
vicky @ Jan 12, 2009
I must say one thing "whats the use of technology if its not affordable".Nokia only understand the indian marketing policy,so its No1 here.After all yeh hai india meri jaan,yahan pe paise ped pe nahin ugte,jub oil,gas ki price RS 5 ghatane keliye 5 din strike ho sakta hai toh woh koun sa bewakuf hoga jo 40k deke iphone kharidega.Apple,Sony etc. humen technology ke nam par bewakuf banate hain.Ab ye aap pe depend karta hai ki aap banenge ki nahin.
Shiladitya @ Jan 12, 2009
Hey its clearly an iphone killer!! its only the stylus that encumbers the catch except that im sure it is the fone thats gonna a be massive hit . I HAD MY HANDS ON IT recently the touch sensitivity being resistive is responsive !! and yes the accmetr is too responsive ill give it a star rather than a flaw !!!
dinaker @ Jan 11, 2009
I dont think there is any product in the world that can be compared to apple product. ANd Nokia 5800 is no exception. Apple has re-defined the so called multi touch technology. People who have atleast seen the iphone can recogonise it. IPhone rocks man!! might be this is like a chinese version of iphone SANDIP
SANDIP PATIL @ Jan 11, 2009
I dont think there is any product in the world that can be compared to apple product. ANd Nokia 5800 is no exception. Apple has re-defined the so called multi touch technology. People who have atleast seen the iphone can recogonise it. IPhone rocks man!! might be this is like a chinese version of iphone SANDIP
SANDIP PATIL @ Jan 11, 2009
Hi Varun,
I always insist on a product piece that should be on the shelf if not given to me for testing. So Yes, I'm presuming the handset I've got for testing will be just that. Although companies do tend to keep aside specific pieces for reviewers, I don't see why a company would send me a test piece that could potentially have issues with it.
Shayne @ Jan 11, 2009
5800 is full of features but weighs a lot. needs extra calorie to carry it in pocket. Form factor is not attractive as Iphone.
Dinesh S @ Jan 11, 2009
I would like to know how good is its music player.
Is it up to the mark or does it get better as compared to the previous XpressMusic models???
Agniva @ Jan 11, 2009
Its not as good as iphone but as for price is concerned it would be best value for money after one month. If anyone going to buy this he will might be wrong because after some time nokia is going to release n97 which will be an atom bomb and a real iphone killer.it would be the best phone ever. So dont buy it.keep patience and wait for the best
SUNIL @ Jan 11, 2009
ya its a great phone with alla the features that a phn should posses and the price is also affordable when compared 2 iphone but we d'nt know abt the battery life but we all belive tht nokia provies standard battery life why r u waiting for rush to the show room and grab a one i m rushing...................bye
manohar reddy @ Jan 11, 2009
what a great dude good competion aginst my old iphone 3G why nokia didnt launced it earlier to fight against iphone.
Bhaskar @ Jan 11, 2009
Go for LG Cookie or LG Viewty KU990R these mobile has better camera (5 Megapixel) and cheaper also ; and not a slow mobile like all N series
Khushal @ Jan 11, 2009
Hey shayne rana, the phone(nokia 5800) that u will be going to review will be a test version or the final product?
Varun @ Jan 11, 2009
I dont think there is any product in the world that can be compared to apple product. ANd Nokia 5800 is no exception. Apple has re-defined the so called multi touch technology. People who have atleast seen the iphone can recogonise it. IPhone rocks man!! might be this is like a chinese version of iphone
Harsha @ Jan 11, 2009
the iphone cannot be compared with this.the technology with the iphone is way above the nokia 5800. I have a very negative feeling about this h/s because it is so unlike nokia to release a h/s for a price tag of 19990 and also launching a similar phone like the N97 (without considering the keyboard and the 5MP camera) immediately after the 5800.It feels as if they have done something wrong or as if something is missing in the 5800 which they will add to the N97.I had experienced a lot of display problems with my nokia 7610 previously.currently i have the N91.my cousin recently got the supernova h/s and he is also facing the same screen issue as i did with 7610.5800 being a touchscreen i wouldnt take a risk as they would be having the same screen manufacturer.
drool @ Jan 10, 2009
Lovely phone at an extremely competitive price. The Sony Ericsson Guys must be eating humble pie, who would want to pay more than double the price for its Experia? Nokia is streets ahead of SE.
Akshay Vasudevan @ Jan 10, 2009
BTW the 5800 was never meant to take on da iphone.iPhone rules
This phone is more mass market compared to ihone and so the low price..Thherefore u will not be able to get a slick interface like the iphones.i used a prototype of this model for a month send by nokia and found a tremendoous amount of hardware and software bugs,,specially with the screen..the price of this mobile will crash next month as much as the htc touch did. it'll crash because the n97 is launchin and i am going to be reciecing a prototype of the model and am pretty sure it will be much smoother than 5800. the n97 will mostly be priced at 38.5K on launch and after a month will fall to 28.5k.however the camera is the best i have seen on a touch screen phone in that range and its got the loudest speakerss i have ever seen
prithveeraj @ Jan 10, 2009
MAN IT IS AN AWESOME PHONE..SURELY AN iPhone KILLER!
Syed Nizam @ Jan 10, 2009
This is the phone that everyone is waited for a long time & it doesnt disappoint with its price tag
Shreyas @ Jan 10, 2009

If u want it for pure music listening then get the sony otherwise get 5800.I hv tested ep-630 on a w610i and 5800.I mst say se beats nokia hands down when it comes to pure music listening.5800 cant drive the ep-630 properly u need to get an external amp to enhance the audio quality.

H@cKer said:
If u want it for pure music listening then get the sony otherwise get 5800.I hv tested ep-630 on a w610i and 5800.I mst say se beats nokia hands down when it comes to pure music listening.5800 cant drive the ep-630 properly u need to get an external amp to enhance the audio quality.

Awesome reply......was just waiting for this, I have a ep-630, and a ep-830 and I just wanted to know if it sounded better on a se or a 5800, thanks for the reply

Back