PC Peripherals Which PSU to get?

Godless

Disciple
i had an antec tp 2.0 550w which blew up about a week back due to moisture..:mad:...i had got it from abroad so no warranty :(
now i need to get a new one...buget 2k-2.5k...pc confing below...
what do u guys think about vip 400w?

AMD 3500+
1gb ram.
500gb
audigy2
ATi x1800xl
2 x dvd rws
2 cooling fans

ps, does the vip pwr safe have a pcix pwr input?
let me know soon on this guys..thanks

The earlier Powersafe 400W models dint come with a PCI-E connector, no idea about present ones. Either way you could use a molex to PCI-E connector if necessary.

Or also up your budget a bit and try getting an entry level Seventeam PSU instead or the Coolermaster Xtreme Power 600W which is a Seventeam 500W OEM and costs around 3~3.5k.

Godless said:
i had an antec tp 2.0 550w which blew up about a week back due to moisture

OH MAN !!! One more TP II 550w bites the dust .... my same PSU blew up over a month back during the first heavy rains in Mumbai .... blew like a bomb - right in my face, I saw the flash right in front of my eyes :O - luckily it did not take any other hardware with it. Whats with these TP II 550w PSUs - I read in various forums that they seem to blow up a lot. My PSU has been with theitdepot for around a month for replacement and there is not a peep from them about when I will get it back. Can anyone from Chennai help ?

There was a test at Toms Hardware where they showed an excessive ripple current from an Antec TP II 550w PSU (the test was done in the prescence of an Antec rep) . The page is...
Stress Test: Power Supplies Under Full Load | Tom's Hardware

I read a thread at jonnyguru.com on power supplies and the effects of their ripple currents on hardware and I went and bought a Corsair 620w PSU. The thread was about the bad ripple currents from an Antec Smart power 500w :O

I do not think I would want to take a chance by running a lower quality PSU in my computer ever again.

Crazy_Eddy said:
The earlier Powersafe 400W models dint come with a PCI-E connector, no idea about present ones. Either way you could use a molex to PCI-E connector if necessary.

Or also up your budget a bit and try getting an entry level Seventeam PSU instead or the Coolermaster Xtreme Power 600W which is a Seventeam 500W OEM and costs around 3~3.5k.

thx eddy, hows the stability factor on power safe? will b enough for my config? ne idia on the price range? may consider abt seventeam psu..slightly high on buget, but i guess i can pull it off, hows the stability on this? don't knw much abt psus...

magnet said:
eazy how much corsair cost????

Also any effect with apc ups???with it??if u have any

got it for 7000/- from Prime. I have 2 APC UPS.... used a BackUPS RS 800 and last month I got a SmartUPS 750i. I read that the Active PFC PSU's behave better with a sinewave UPS. My BackUPS is over 3 years old so the battery will not last long.

In the Corsair forum the first question the people from Corsair ask for any problem is "DO YOU RUN AN APC UPS ? " :eek:hyeah: Blame it all on the APC UPS !! :p Many people complain about a buzzing sound from the Corsair PSU, but both these UPS's have worked fine with my Corsair PSU.

Godless said:
i had an antec tp 2.0 550w which blew up about a week back due to moisture..:mad:...

Eazy said:
OH MAN !!! One more TP II 550w bites the dust .... my same PSU blew up over a month back during the first heavy rains in Mumbai .... blew like a bomb - right in my face, I saw the flash right in front of my eyes :O - luckily it did not take any other hardware with it.
:jumpy: :hellno:

Anyone wants a TPII 550 with local warranty for cheap?:rofl:

the Seventeam ST-500-BKP should be an ok buy- i prefer it over the CM extreme power 600.
Becoz the CM600 is like a seventeam 500 with some 'ungli' done to it.:p

Back