Laptops Which RAM stick for my HP Pavilion 14-n201tx Notebook?

aka911

Skilled
I am not sure which section this belongs to, so posting it here...

Well, I have a HP notebook which I bought a few months ago. Came with 4gb on board ram and a lot of bloatware which still exists.
I am thinking of upgrading the RAM as one of the RAM slots is free.
The HP model is Pavilion N201 Tx 14 inches.
The ram listed is "4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3L SDRAM (1 x 4 GB)"

Details about the notebook pc can be found in this page:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c04031374

Now when I went and searched on flipkart,I was confused a bit as to which Ram to buy? as in the brand,rated frequency, type of memory ?

I am a complete noob and any pointed link/suggestion will be appreciated .

The only thing is I dont want to put a slower RAM and make my system any slower and pokey then it already is.

Also is there any difference between desktop and laptop RAM?

Hello
Search for DDR3 CLASS AND 1600MHZ is the frequency of RAM.
As per your specifications your machine has just one RAM which is of 4gb DDR3 SDRAM WORKING WITH 1600MHZ frequency.
Yes there is difference between a desktop RAM and laptop RAM
Desktop ram are comparatively bigger in length than laptop ram
Laptop rams are smallest in size n lengthwise

Run CPU Z, get the RAM details. Check the timings, frequency and latency. Compare this to the RAM you are buying.

There is no need to buy another 4GB stick, as you will not get a matched pair anyways. You can also go with 2 and 8 GB if you want. Just FYI

Laptop RAMs are a different form factor compared to Desktop ones (SO-DIMM vs DIMM). You cannot interchange the two.

I think another important point is that the RAM is DDR3L, i.e. you need to look for sticks that run at 1.35v.

BTW the best upgrade for a slow laptop is an SSD. They tend to put in slow 5400rpm drives to keep power and heat low.

I think another important point is that the RAM is DDR3L, i.e. you need to look for sticks that run at 1.35v.

BTW the best upgrade for a slow laptop is an SSD. They tend to put in slow 5400rpm drives to keep power and heat low.

I was gonna go on about SSDs, but felt he may not have the budget.

As for DDR3L, yeah, forgot.

Thanks a lot for your replies people.
Most of the RAM options I am seeing online are the "1.5v" version...
I am not getting the "L" version ie 1.35v anywhere..
any links for getting the DDRL version online will be very helpful..

Memory details I got out of CPU z

DIMM # 1
SMBus address 0x50
Memory type DDR3
Module format SO-DIMM
Manufacturer (ID) Ramaxel Technology (7F7F7F7F43000000)
Size 4096 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC3-12800 (800 MHz)
Part number RMT3170EF68F9W1600
Serial number 433AAF4A
Manufacturing date Week 47/Year 13
Number of banks 8
Nominal Voltage 1.35 Volts
EPP no
XMP no
AMP no

I checked a few SSD deals going around on flipkart. A 256 GB SSD for around 10k thus sound nice, esp if it prevents me from throwing my notebook against the wall. How do the brands Adata , Transcend and sandisk compare when it comes to SSD's? Allthree have similar specs are are about the same range.

DDR3L on Amazon and Ebay.

For SSDs the controller and the type of flash memory being used matters more than the brand, since most brands are simply mixing together a standard set of components. In general you're better off sticking to Samsung or Marvell controllers. Sandisk has the Ultra Plus thats based on a Marvell controller and is selling for quite decent prices.

Back