White stains on red oxide floor after oxalic acid contact

Sorry for this weird topic. But today I was cleaning our loft tank with dust acid (says oxalic acid on the packet) mixed with slight water, and after I was done I noticed the red oxide floor has turned completely white. It looks like sh!t. Please tell me what I can do to undo my doing. Lol.

PS: Added a photo

Attachments

• PXL_20240505_125050132~2.jpg
    PXL_20240505_125050132~2.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Sorry for this weird topic. But today I was cleaning our loft tank with dust acid (says oxalic acid on the packet) mixed with slight water, and after I was done I noticed the red oxide floor has turned completely white. It looks like sh!t. Please tell me what I can do to undo my doing. Lol.

Oh no! I have red oxide floor in my house too and it's a very touchy surface! Even Harpic causes instant white spots on it so I'm very careful when I clean my tiled floor rooms with Harpic because if I accidentally spill some on the red oxide floor it leaves white marks.

Usually wiping the floor with water for days gets rid of the Harpic stains but in your case it's a much larger area and painting the floor could be the best option I think.

I'm very careful when I clean my tiled floor rooms with Harpic because if I accidentally spill some on the red oxide floor it leaves white marks.
Why not try Lysol? It's neutral and will be gentler.

Harpic has acid in it and will be harsher. I didn't even know Harpic did a floor cleaner

Why not try Lysol? It's neutral and will be gentler.

Harpic has acid in it and will be harsher. I didn't even know Harpic did a floor cleaner

I use the normal blue Harpic on ceramic tiles in my house (bathrooms) and never had a problem with it. I use only a little though, scrub the tiles and then wash the tiled area with water thoroughly. I do not leave the Harpic on the ceramic tiles long at all... smear, scrub lightly and wash. Done.

However, Harpic on red-oxide floor is a strict no-no. Like I said it leaves white marks instantly.

Now coming to Lysol... yes you can use it to wipe red oxide floor. That's what is used in my house daily (Lysol & Water mixture) to wipe the red oxide floor. But it takes a very long time to remove white stains on red oxide floors. For larger stains like in OP's case I think painting is the best option.

I use the normal blue Harpic on ceramic tiles in my house (bathrooms) and never had a problem with it. I use only a little though, scrub the tiles and then wash the tiled area with water thoroughly. I do not leave the Harpic on the ceramic tiles long at all... smear, scrub lightly and wash. Done.

However, Harpic on red-oxide floor is a strict no-no. Like I said it leaves white marks instantly.
Amazed you use blue Harpic on the bathroom floors. I guess it works but that is hydrochloric acid and it can't be good long term for the white cement that the tiles are on.

No question of using Harpic on red oxide

Amazed you use blue Harpic on the bathroom floors. I guess it works but that is hydrochloric acid and it can't be good long term for the white cement that the tiles are on.

No question of using Harpic on red oxide

Ooops... I just went and checked. I use the red bottle of Harpic for the floors, not the blue one. It's meant for floor cleaning.

Idk about the undoing but that picture feels so nostalgic! That floor.. That wooden chair.. The stain right under that tank matching the tank's shade.. Just wow!

Ooops... I just went and checked. I use the red bottle of Harpic for the floors, not the blue one. It's meant for floor cleaning.
See how easy it is to confuse given what Harpic is known for. And that's not a good thing this Harpic's decision to offer a floor cleaner as well.

Idk about the undoing but that picture feels so nostalgic! That floor.. That wooden chair.. The stain right under that tank matching the tank's shade.. Just wow!
Ha ha yes. It's a 50 year old house, never bothered to change the red floor with the tiles/marbles.
Anyway, really wish there was an option which is other than painting over. Read online that baking soda works or something, not sure.
Thanks for the replies.

It's too late now. Should've poured something basic on it immediately, like baking soda. You can lighten the marks upto some extent with baking soda even now. If the floor is etched, you'll need to reapply the red oxide coating. Redoing is not a big deal though.

I play with acids a lot and I keep baking soda nearby for any accidental spills. Same goes for strong bases... I keep vinegar handy. I also use baking soda or vinegar to clean my hands and tools afterwards.

I play with acids a lot and I keep baking soda nearby for any accidental spills. Same goes for strong bases... I keep vinegar handy. I also use baking soda or vinegar to clean my hands and tools afterwards.
Curious about why you play with acids... can always use more people with a knowledge of chemistry here

This idea that acid can neutralise base /alkaline and vice versa is largely missing with a lot of people. It shouldn't be because its 7th std stuff

This idea that acid can neutralise base /alkaline and vice versa is largely missing with a lot of people. It shouldn't be because its 7th std stuff
Therein lies the faulty education system focusing on theory and grades only. Without practical application, nobody is going to remember a 7th standard stuff after more than two decades, i mean those who are in their mid 30s anyway. In fact before creating this topic I was so embarrassed. Not knowing such a basic thing.

@chyawanprash how to you apply it the soda? Just pour it raw on the paches, or mixed with water? And let it soak for how long?

In fact before creating this topic I was so embarrassed. Not knowing such a basic thing.
At least you had an idea of the chemical present. That's not usually the case.

I've seen reviews for washing machine cleaner which contained oxalic acid and it took the shine right of a stainless steel drum. I don't have a good explanation for why that happened?

Last edited:
Agreed. In my case it didn't really work though. My bathroom tiles reacted badly to spilled blue harpic, so I put soda.
Unluckily, the bathroom tiles aren't exactly smooth, they have a texture (I guess for grip).

Now the formed salt is permanently stuck between the texture. It is non-soluble, so we are stuck with it (also added slipperiness in that area)

Back