Why dont we split Jammu and Kashmir into 3 parts

AMG

Skilled
Why dont we split Jammu and Kashmir into 3 parts?

I mean, from the elections it appears that there already exist 3 separate states with their own set of problems and challenges and thought processes.

Jammu just wants a stable govt.
Leh Ladhakh just wants development
Kashmir and the Valley has their own separatist agenda for which they are jeopardizing the entire progress of the whole state.

Also wouldnt it be easier to deal with the problem when we have isolated the problematic region?

haha. I am from Jammu. This will never happen. 370 treats Jammu and Kashmir as a special state and NC/PDP wants that. If that changes, then grip of govt goes away to central. It's actually the govt that wants 370 not the people from either kashmir or Jammu. Atleast that's what people from twitter trended when 370 thingy was trending

When I visited J&K for a short trip we interacted with people from all 3 regions.
What I understood was that people of both Jammu and Ladakh are pretty angry with the situation in Kashmir.
They feel left out as the Centre gives much more importance to Kashmir and its people.

There is a hill council or some administrative council which looks after the development of the state. Majority of the seats are occupied by people from Kashmir. And they manage to divert maximum of the development funds towards their region.

haha.
I am from Jammu.
This will never happen. 370 treats Jammu and Kashmir as a special state and NC/PDP wants that. If that changes, then grip of govt goes away to central. It's actually the govt that wants 370 not the people from either kashmir or Jammu. Atleast that's what people from twitter trended when 370 thingy was trending

"haha" I dont get whats funny. Please explain
"I am from Jammu" You've already said it a 100 thousand times.

Also, your source is twitter?
Ataka-Facepalm.jpg

My point was that the procedure should and may be inititated if BJP gets 44+, this may and should be done.
I dont want two regions to suffer because of the valley people.
Also, if you see, all other state split ups were done by NDA, except maybe Telengana.

Article 3 of the Constitution confers extraordinary power on Parliament to merge or separate states at will. Article 3 also allows Parliament to amend Constitutional provisions and Amendments by simple majority. These are sovereign powers and are confirmed by the Supreme Court.

Article 3 makes it clear that the Bill for separation has to be sent to the Assembly for its views alone. Only in the case of Jammu and Kashmir is the specific consent of its Legislature required; in all other States no consent is required. In the event of President’s Rule, the President can suspend the Assembly, and Parliament assumes all the powers of the State, and the Assembly’s views and, even in the case of J&K, its consent, is not necessary.

Prior resolution by the Assembly is also not required. The NDA government managed to get it before the bill (not after) for Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand as Digvijay Singh’s Congress government ruled Madhya Pradesh and Rabri Devi’s RJD Government in Bihar. Uttaranchal was not an issue as Uttar Pradesh was under BJP rule. These were the only cases. http://www.newindianexpress.com/sta...and-precedents/2013/10/17/article1839772.ece1

How will J&K get all the central government funds with the special status and run with Ranjit Penal Code instead of IPC . NaaaaH too much profits for everyone to be made from taxpayers central government money including the public , bureaucracy , police and the politicians
J&K people don't take it personally . I don't mean everybody
And yes Jammu and Leh are suffering due to Kashmir Valley .
Come one who doesn't like freebies ....

haha. I am from Jammu. This will never happen. 370 treats Jammu and Kashmir as a special state and NC/PDP wants that. If that changes, then grip of govt goes away to central. It's actually the govt that wants 370 not the people from either kashmir or Jammu. Atleast that's what people from twitter trended when 370 thingy was trending
The idea of scrapping 370 is it promotes nation building.

What is your identity and does India have anything to do with it.

We went through a similar problem in the south in the 50s when the centre wanted to impose hindi, but the southern states held fast and preserved their languages. linguistic nationalism had the potential to dwarf religious nationalism as language pretty much influences how you communicate and by extension think. The south is calm now because these issues were laid to rest long ago. The identity is whatever language you speak within a larger indian context.

"haha" I dont get whats funny. Please explain

I meant you saying "split the state" won't happen tbh. Govt here won't let that happen. That's why "haha", don't take it seriously.

Also, my source isn't twitter, I was just saying I got to know that even kashmir people don't want 370 from twitter, as I am not from kashmir, so that's something I dind't knew abt..

We should cut loose Kashmir, since they want their own State. It will remain independent, or be taken over by another nation within 4-5 hours. And we can be at peace.

But the best part is that Kashmir itself doesn't really want to go to Pakistan . You should see the state of less influential provinces of Pakistan , dire poverty .
Keep with India , do hulla gulla every time , do you bidding with politicians and enjoy the VIP status
Alas India also cannot leave Kashmir due to its military compulsions and strategic location

Just echoing sentiment of a colleague belonging to Kashmir - many people in Kashmir think Indian government has betrayed them over the 370 article. The Indira-Abdullah pact was the final nail in the coffin. So they removed the "Prime Minister" of Kashmir and denigrated them to have "CM". The whole premise was India provides certain things with Kashmir getting a greater power. And though there has never been a discussion of "going with Pakistan", he does like many things from Pakistan - specially their ultra realistic depiction of Ismalic values in TV dramas (our TV shows too many Hindu culture dramas you see).

After having this discussion with him, I did some reading up on this. Personally (from what I have read), this was one of the many mistakes Nehru did and we are now suffering from it. BR Ambedkar refused to write 370 saying , "You wish India should protect your borders, she should build roads in your area, she should supply you food grains, and Kashmir should get equal status as India. But Government of India should have only limited powers and Indian people should have no rights in Kashmir. To give consent to this proposal, would be a treacherous thing against the interests of India and I, as the Law Minister of India, will never do it." (from wiki)

Just because Nehru had promised Sheikh Abdhullah, he got it passed forcefully. I am just surprised, why do we celebrate his birthday - Children' Day again? That guy has done so many stupid things it is just difficult to count.

Last edited:
We should cut loose Kashmir, since they want their own State. It will remain independent, or be taken over by another nation within 4-5 hours. And we can be at peace.
Then every big city want state status,
Another nation we should take poll which preferred nation they want to over take

Think for above thought, and imagine Indian news channels torcher

Then every big city want state status,
Another nation we should take poll which preferred nation they want to over take

Think for above thought, and imagine Indian news channels torcher

Then we should ask the people.

Wasnt Punjab split into Himachal, Haryana and Punjab?
Wasnt UP split for efficient admin?[DOUBLEPOST=1419245185][/DOUBLEPOST]
hah, yes

challenge to the OP.

Legislative Assembly Seats in Jammu + Leh = 41
Legislative Assembly seath in Kashmir = 46

They're pretty much equal.

Last edited:
The knock on effect this will have in other areas of the country ?

Telangana is a case in point, total waste if you ask me, recreate two capitals. Twice the bureaucracy, for what.

The knock on effect this will have in other areas of the country ?

Telangana is a case in point, total waste if you ask me, recreate two capitals. Twice the bureaucracy, for what.

Small ares are better administered. Wasnt this the entire point of the BJP govts.

Look at how well NE is now run and how badly UP is.

Jharkhand is still a mess however Bihar splitting off improved things for them. uttarakhand improved mostly due to tourism.

Is chattisgarh better off. AP pushed its naxals there. what will telangana be like.

Oh and about UP, Maya wanted to do this when she was in office, created a ruckus with other parties because it would guarantee near permanent wins in some of the states for her party. So think of it as carving out your own kingdoms. The political parties are more interested in smaller states than the people as they stand to benefit the most.

So there is theory and then practice and the experience is mixed.

Last edited:
Small ares are better administered. Wasnt this the entire point of the BJP govts.

Look at how well NE is now run and how badly UP is.
No they are not. The rationale given by BJP is bullshit. Most states have to do with securing political powers than anything. With Jharkhand, BJP got to rule the state with Marandi and Munda. Ajit Jogi won the first election in Chhatisgarh for Congress and it has been BJP since. Uttrakhand has been a cesspool one time INC, then BJP and then 1 more round. Recent Telangana, I don't need to explain what happened there. TRS wanted power, a place where they could run amok. What with all the pooja etc KCR is doing. Will they ever develop? Its really doubtful.

As for UP, the issue is not the size rather the importance of the state. It has 80 seats for Lok Sabha and 31 for Rajya Sabha, more than any other state. No other state comes close. Nearest is Maharastra with 48 and 18 respectively. So that is nearly 15% of Lok Sabha and 12.5% of Rajya Sabha.

If you don't win majority here, say bye bye to your dream of controlling the houses. In the interest of this, it works for every government, Mulayam/Maya or Rajnath Singh, to keep people uneducated and under developed. Fight for caste works much better than intelligent, educated and developed state.

Last edited:
Back