Graphic Cards Why DX10.1 matters to you

john117

Adept
DX10.1 brings a lot of new features that don't really matter much if at all,

there is one there that will matter a lot, contrary to what MS people say. This magic feature is the multi-sample buffer reads and writes(MSBRW). ..

Games like Quake3 would do a lighting pass, then a shader pass, and another lighting followed by shaders and so on until everything was rendered right. This was quite precise but also quite slow. Dog slow.
To optimize around this, a technique called deferred shading took was invented. This does all the lighting passes followed by a single shader pass. If you have five passes, you basically can skip four trips through the shaders. The problem? Because the pixel isn't fully computed, just a pile of AA data, there is no way for it to be read. This is horribly simplified, but I don't want to go into the low level stuff here, go look it up if you really care.
What this meant is that you can't turn on AA if you have deferred rendering unless you do Supersampling which is rendering it at higher reolutions and sampling down. This is unusably slow, so it went out the door, meaning if you were designing a game, you picked speed in the form of deferred shading, or beauty in the form of AA
Most DX10 games go for speed, meaning the AA hardware will sit more or less idle.
DX10.1 brings the ability to read those sub-samples to the party via MSBRW. To the end user, this means that once DX10.1 hits, you can click the AA button on your shiny new game and have it actually do something. This is hugely important.

Read it at ..Why DX10.1 matters to you - The INQUIRER
Well !! This is something :cool2: ... all this time NViDiots and MicroShaft:no: were harping on the same note that DirectX 10.1 is an incremental update and nothing more.. but if this feature can be implemented in current DX10 Titles via a patch or something .. (Remember dx10 support to COH came via a path) then it will definitely give the owners of RV670 an edge ..

and the point to be noted is Nvidiots are not saying anything about their dx10.1 card .. so rumors of G100 seem far from truth ( as nvidia would not miss this feature in the next generation) .

probably we can see dx10.1 counterpart from Nvidiots may come in mar/april 2008...(pure speculation on my part)

PS.I have nothing against NVidia I just like the word NVidiot.. and MicroShaft is even better...:eek:hyeah:

Back