Linux Why Linux is Better

nucleuskore

Adept
Apr 25, 2009
www.neville.in
Yes good question^

Whatever said and done a lot of people are MS addicts. It took a while before I got rid of my addiction. That doesn't mean I don't use Windows. I use it in a frequency of once a month or once in two months to update my McAfee antivirus and patches :p

If I may point out to a few wrong things on that page

Forget about drivers - that's crazy. Drivers are like transducers, they interface between the machine language and the OS language. It's just that linux distros comes bundled with a lot of drivers.

Update all your software with a single click - All? I see Ubuntu in those screenshots/thumbnails. Even Ubuntu will update only those software for which repositories are available.

MrHappiness

Disciple
May 28, 2009
vishalrao said:
What OS/distro do you use?

Hey there vishal.

I use Ubuntu/Win 7.

I am a student and among other things Ubuntu makes it possible and easy for me to latex and run X11 programs over ssh: two things I spend quite a lot of time doing.

What about you?

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
Nov 10, 2007
Pune, India
Hey MrH. Nice. I use Kubuntu 9.04 + Win 7 at home and Ubuntu 8.04 + WinXP at work :) I used to boot mainly in Windows until KDE 4.2 and Kubuntu 9.04 came out, nowadays I'm mostly on Linux... at work it's a no-brainer, Ubuntu's killer performance (compiling and running software) beats WinXP hands down...

You should also post this info along with your hardware config in your Rig details / signature ... Rig gallery might be inaccessible for now, might take a month for it to be fixed...

MrHappiness

Disciple
May 28, 2009
Good to know mate.

Yeah will try to get that rig/sig thing done.

And BTW Mr Beans is awesome for happiness. Cool avatar. :)

MrHappiness

Disciple
May 28, 2009
Ah! To each his own?

Yes certainly, the awareness should not fall short. There are, as is, sufficient barriers to the Linux world, let knowledge not be another.

shaunak

Adept
May 30, 2009
Mumbai
www.shaunak.de
I guess when they say forget about drivers is that the end user, can forget about them.

Trust me, even installing a printer (In windows) can be hard for some people. So plug and play support (like under tux) really does count for a lot. The only problem is that the poeple who face problems installing printers also will be among the last people to embrace linux.

My prefered distro is Fedora.

main_trouble

Adept
Dec 30, 2007
shaunak said:
I guess when they say forget about drivers is that the end user, can forget about them.

Trust me, even installing a printer can be hard for some people. So plug and play support really does count for a lot. The only problem is that the poeple who face problems installing printers also will be among the last people to embrace linux.

My prefered distro is Fedora.

never had a single problem with any printer under ubuntu till now

Dark Star

ex-Mod
May 7, 2006
^^+1 . Ubuntu has the best printer support in the Live Cd env..

Its not distro which manages printer its CUPS/.drivers which manages your printer.. Ofcourse better integration is needed else it will fail to recognise your printer :p

greenhorn

Patron
Dec 29, 2005
my canon MP 160 doesnt work out of the box, esp the scanner.

and the fact that Its on the network, connected to my XP PC makes it harder :p

shaunak

Adept
May 30, 2009
Mumbai
www.shaunak.de
vishalrao said:
My printer was detected and installed automatically, HP 5160 all-in-one on Kubuntu 9.04 :)

You guys misread me!

That was a PRO-Linux comment! I meant that you need driver CDs under windows while everything is (virtually) plug and play in tux.

I need to learn to communicate better!

Dark Star

ex-Mod
May 7, 2006

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
Nov 10, 2007
Pune, India
shaunak said:
You guys misread me!

That was a PRO-Linux comment! I meant that you need driver CDs under windows while everything is (virtually) plug and play in tux.

I need to learn to communicate better!

No worries, I wasn't saying anything bad about you :p I too was only making a pro-linux comment heh

cool_cat

Adept
May 12, 2008
Cochin,India
www.getgnulinux.org
I am on GNU/Linux(90%) for past 8 years(Although I can claim that I started using Linux on 1998 onwards during college years).I will give myself a treat on 2011(10 years). ;)

BTW ,Here are few sites which can be inspirational for new GNU/Linux Users:

get GNU/Linux!

Linux is NOT Windows

We welcome you to 'Make The Move'

and

Learn (now under Linux Foundation)

and for some **INFO** for New Linux Users:

Note to new Linux users: No antivirus needed

http://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/8261-note-to-new-linux-users-no-antivirus-needed

http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/index.php?page=virus