Windows Windows 10 free upgrade

^^ no idea if starter edition has different licensing terms, but in general, windows7 keys can be reused/reactivated 3 times without any issues.

I don't think it has anything to do with it being starter. My understanding is that if it is an OEM edition, the license is tied to the motherboard make and type. If the motherboard is changed, the license is no more valid. I just want to confirm if that is right because, I want to use the license on my desktop after the laptop on which it was, died.

That license could be tied to more than one hardware, and not just the motherboard. Your laptop is dead anyways, why don't you try the license on your desktop? You can call-up MS support and tell them that you changed the hardware on the same machine and want to re-activate the windows. Most likely they'll ask to buy something (support package or upgrade etc) before they help you.

BTW, my desktop is currently running Win XP Pro. Is the Win 7 starter much inferior to the XP Pro in terms of features? My goal is to get Win 10 in lieu of Win 7 when I upgrade my desktop.

^^ never used Win7 starter edition. so, no idea if it's better than XP Pro. if it's your work machine then let it run XP, as it is already quite stable. you can try Win7 if you have lots of time to look into licensing issue as well.

your goal is Win10 and if Win7 can get you there, then you should try Win7 for a month.

is there any option to burn it to disc & do a fresh install OR is upgrading the only option?
have only 6.15gb free on my 60gb ssd :(

Go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

And install Media Creation Tool. It will create an install media (DVD/USB) for you. But even that, I think, will download data to your HDD first and then create install media.

6GB free space is too less even for normal windows working.

Anyone got the upgrade yet?
In case anyone wants a forced Windows 10 update,you will need to:
  1. make sure your system is set to receive and install Windows Updates automatically
  2. delete everything in the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder
  3. run this command in an instance of cmd.exe ran as administrator: wuauclt.exe /updatenow
  4. you should be all set and your download should begin shortly.
Force Download Windows 10 Free Upgrade Right Now, Here's How [Tutorial]

In case anyone wants a forced Windows 10 update,you will need to:
  1. make sure your system is set to receive and install Windows Updates automatically
  2. delete everything in the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder
  3. run this command in an instance of cmd.exe ran as administrator: wuauclt.exe /updatenow
  4. you should be all set and your download should begin shortly.
Force Download Windows 10 Free Upgrade Right Now, Here's How [Tutorial]
I did not delete anything.No need to do that.
Just open Command Prompt as Administrator and run wuauclt.exe /updatenow.
That's it

Then go to Control Panel and check for new updates.
It will get stuck on Checking Requirements for some time but don't worry soon it will start downloading the update.
The download size 2699MB.
I hope not deleting those files not F*ck up the upgrade process!Keeping my fingers crossed.

Update:
The file is not actually downloaded in C:/$Windows.~BT
A single 2.61GB tmp file is created and the update is downloaded in that file.
The file is located in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\
File name is BIT6618.tmp
It is inside a folder with a very long random name.

Last edited:
Well..... today should have been release day..... but the Windows 10 reserve app icon in system tray is missing..... it was there till yesterday..... I restarted PC multiple times.... checked windows update in control panel..... says "Windows 10 is Reserved".... so everything is OK.... but why missing from system tray?....

Using Windows 8.1 Genuine......

Ok.. I have a question..
I bought some Windows 7 student license... (ACM)
if I install using the license and upgrade it to 10.. can I reinstall (After uninstalling from original) on another PC after 2016 jul and get windows 10 activated...

I did not delete anything.No need to do that.
Just open Command Prompt as Administrator and run wuauclt.exe /updatenow.
That's it

Then go to Control Panel and check for new updates.
It will get stuck on Checking Requirements for some time but don't worry soon it will start downloading the update.
The download size 2699MB.
I hope not deleting those files not F*ck up the upgrade process!Keeping my fingers crossed.

Update:
The file is not actually downloaded in C:/$Windows.~BT
A single 2.61GB tmp file is created and the update is downloaded in that file.
The file is located in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\
File name is BIT6618.tmp
It is inside a folder with a very long random name.
Guys I have the BITC291.tmp file in the Downloads path but the update is not being triggered.
I tried checking for updates after this file being downloaded but is showing no updates found.
Get Windows 10 app is showing the same old stuff as before.
Do I need to restart the machine?

Back