ZTE Blade aka DELL XCD 35 aka Orange San Francisco Thread

Has anybody flashed the recent nightlies (N208, 209 & 210) which have the new kernel, i.e. 2.6.35.7?

Is a full wipe necessary? I've been reading conflicting reports on this at Modaco.

Usually, it isn't necessary to do a full wipe when you're flashing from one nightly to another. But in this case, since the newer nightlies have the new kernel, some people on Modaco were saying that a full wipe is necessary. There are also others who said that they did not do a full wipe and have faced no problems. You made the switch from 206 to 208 without a wipe? Do you find a difference in performance? How's the new lockscreen? I think I might flash 210 today.

I was on n158 first. I made a backup of that then flashed kang p7 over that. then n206 over that. then restored back to 158. and flashed 208 over that. tried every combination. it works just fine without wiping anything, not even the dalvik cache. performance, i haven't really tested, but subjectively it's pretty good. 158 was crap, the new ones seem about right. i have the lockscreen completely disabled, never made sense to me since anyway the power button has to be used to wake the phone, having another process after that seems so redundant. i did take a gander and i didn't really like the look of it. the rotary one's much better.

Thanks Julian. :)

xtremevicky said:
Is Rooting the first step ?

Then installing a custom Rom next ?

Yes. Rooting is the first step. Once you're rooted, you have to install ClockworkMod Recovery via ROM Manager. Flashing a ROM using CWM is the final step.

Here is what I have found out

1. Root the device

2. Create a back up

3. Install a custom ROM

Where does Wipe come in ?

Am I missing something . I am planning on getting a 8Gb card and then starting this process.

Just flashed N210 and so far it's looking good. Wifi's remaining on after locking the phone and this is something new for me since I've been on CM7 since day 2 of my phone. Also for some reason, I like the new lockscreen. I might eventually get back to widgetlocker, but for now I'm sticking to this. Oh, and I only did a dalvik cache wipe, nothing else.

Hey, yeah, forgot to mention the wifi thing. i'm a cm7 dude too and i used to use advanced wifi locker or something like that, now i just uninstalled it! also disabled the wakelock in samba filesharing.

Flashed N210 a few hours ago. I'm impressed as of now. Seems to be a huge improvement since the days of N70s and N80s, when I had switched from CM7 to GSF. Will update after a couple of days' use.

Vasishta.Sushant said:
I am currently on RC1. Is N210 really that big a move ? Also how would you compare it with GSF ?

I was on N168 before I flashed to N210 today. Haven't found any bugs so far and battery life is even better, which is saying a lot because I was extremely pleased with 168's battery life in the first place. (compared to CM 7.0.3) Haven't used GSF so far, but I would like to think of N210 as 'GSF with CM7 goodies' ROM. It is free from the Wifi bug that the previous CM7 versions had and has good battery life.

Flashed and the phone does not pass the cm7 boot logo, When boots logo on skate then arrow then again on skates, can any one tell what could be the problem ?

karankapoor said:
Flashed and the phone does not pass the cm7 boot logo, When boots logo on skate then arrow then again on skates, can any one tell what could be the problem ?

Did you do a full data wipe and dalvik wipe? What ROM were you previously using?

@karankapoor: Try wiping the cache and user data completely, and then flash the ROM again. It should work.

@ Vasishta.Sushant: Like pageisgod85 has mentioned, it does look like GSF with CM7 goodies. As of now, it is completely stable. I cannot comment on the battery life yet.

Back