Affiliate link URLs and IP?

blkrb0t

It's Nothing Personal
Skilled
Haha, @avi did you copy the previous book lists from the Broke Bibliophiles fb group? And then change the affiliate I'd?

That guy is naturally pissed after finding about it.

Haha, @avi did you copy the previous book lists from the Broke Bibliophiles fb group? And then change the affiliate I'd?

That guy is naturally pissed after finding about it.
He is now on forum as @broke_bibliophile and sent me a PM, told me not to copy and called me a**hole. I explained him that I was copying from different whatsapp group but some are from his group too posted in group and I apologized said I will not copy

So now URLs are copyright/intellectual property? whatever happened to free sharing of information on the internet...

The URL is standard. Adding an id to it doesn't make it that person's private URL.

He is now on forum as @broke_bibliophile and sent me a PM, told me not to copy and called me a**hole. I explained him that I was copying from different whatsapp group but some are from his group too posted in group and I apologized said I will not copy
Handled well. Should have not changed the affiliate IDs . But then I don't know if affiliate IDs are allowed here or not

The URL is standard. Adding an id to it doesn't make it that person's private URL.
You're right. The URL itself isn't in contention here, but the whole list consisting of select books which are great reads. It takes effort to curate such a list and keep it updated. Also, the original guy who makes it is open about the affiliate marketing angle, which is the ethical way to go.

P.S. I'm glad that the issue was handled well.

Just to be clear, I'm not trolling here. I'm genuinely wondering if such a list of URLs can be considered IP. There is a lot of free and open stuff out there which some people have put a lot of blood sweat and tears into. b**ching and whining about 'copying' doesn't make it a crime does it? One could also argue that avi made the effort to copy that list and post it here. By the same logic, he now has the right to put his affiliate ID on it because he has made that effort. would the brokebook dude be okay if he posted it without ANY affiliate ID?

And the previous posters mentioned not changing the affiliate ID. By that logic only one person in the world could ever post one amazon item anywhere.

I don't know avi and i have no business with any of this sh!t. but it just pisses me off to see the very spirit of the free internet and sharing of information trashed over some friggin URLs.[DOUBLEPOST=1472641695][/DOUBLEPOST]

If someone called me an a-hole over something like this i'd tell him to go fcuk off, get a lawyer and sue me. not apologise.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can understand where this ideology comes from. But it is surely not IP. Consider it as a copyleft license. And give due credit where due.

If you have a large fan following, then the amount of earnings on the aff ID is not something to be neglected. But I have no knowledge of that. It might be possible that avi might be using that as a statistic counter, the number of clicks/link.

And last, if it was the free internet, people would not put aff IDs, would they? Or change something in the original text (URL) and pass off as their own aff ID?

Curation of such lists is a very task intensive thing for some, but for avi, its not - I think he crowdsources the list.

I can see your point. If i was posting something here i might credit the source page or site. not sure.

affiliate marketing revenue is a completely different point from listing good reads for the book reading group you're in. and since he's using his affiliate ID he's obviously doing it for the money (partly at least). With a list of URLs which cannot be considered IP or copyright. Which is why i repeat, he needs to fcuk off abusing TE members and get back to his money making supposedly-hobby blog.

Heck, i've done loads of time and effort intensive things both offline and online, for free. If i were to start whining about every single thing people copied off that...

So now URLs are copyright/intellectual property? whatever happened to free sharing of information on the internet...
URLs are not IP and people will share anyways. Tons of links are posted in Desidime. I am part of many whatsapp groups, where many links are shared (@vivek.krishnan was also part of it, at one time). Just check my deals history, I have posted so many things, not at all surely could have come from same group right? I have been posting deals from so long.

However, I am receiving messages like this and looks like admin of that group is also encouraging people:

SHbctEQ.png

I don't want any mess over this. I hoped he would remove the post after I apologized, but I don't see that happening.[DOUBLEPOST=1472645586][/DOUBLEPOST]
Curation of such lists is a very task intensive thing for some, but for avi, its not - I think he crowdsources the list.
Yup

Last edited:
That dude is obv a retard to go nuts over a list of URLs of books sold on amazon of all places. report him to the TE mods for any offensive behaviour, other than that, ignore.

URLs are not IP and people will share anyways. Tons of links are posted in Desidime. I am part of many whatsapp groups, where many links are shared (@vivek.krishnan was also part of it, at one time). Just check my deals history, I have posted so many things, not at all surely could have come from same group right? I have been posting deals from so long.

However, I am receiving messages like this and looks like admin of that group is also encouraging people:

SHbctEQ.png

I don't want any mess over this. I hoped he would remove the post after I apologized, but I don't see that happening.[DOUBLEPOST=1472645586][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yup

Kick his ass.

Actually posting links with affiliate IDs is considered a strict no-no on forums world over.
Should people start asking for money for providing advise on forums too.

Just to be clear, I'm not trolling here. I'm genuinely wondering if such a list of URLs can be considered IP. There is a lot of free and open stuff out there which some people have put a lot of blood sweat and tears into. b**ching and whining about 'copying' doesn't make it a crime does it? One could also argue that avi made the effort to copy that list and post it here. By the same logic, he now has the right to put his affiliate ID on it because he has made that effort. would the brokebook dude be okay if he posted it without ANY affiliate ID?

And the previous posters mentioned not changing the affiliate ID. By that logic only one person in the world could ever post one amazon item anywhere.

I don't know avi and i have no business with any of this sh!t. but it just pisses me off to see the very spirit of the free internet and sharing of information trashed over some friggin URLs.[DOUBLEPOST=1472641695][/DOUBLEPOST]

If someone called me an a-hole over something like this i'd tell him to go fcuk off, get a lawyer and sue me. not apologise.
As a guy who once co-owned a big-ish internet forum and sold it, What @avi did is not wrong. Unethical? depends on whom you ask, but he's done nothing wrong.

He saw information on some other medium which is not present here and so he posted it here. Deleting affiliate links might be unethical but nothing wrong. This stuff happens daily on the internet.[DOUBLEPOST=1472673668][/DOUBLEPOST]
Actually posting links with affiliate IDs is considered a strict no-no on forums world over.
Should people start asking for money for providing advise on forums too.
This. Posting affiliate links is a no-go in many forums unless specified. Applies to subreddits too

Back