Apple Unveils iPhone 5 ,4" Display , 7.6mm thick , 2x faster Processor & More

I had dropped the idea of buying the Iphone 5 after the launch on Sept 12th, and though Ill give android a shot with S3, One X or the GNexus in mind. But, these benchies have really made me rethink, guess it would be best to wait for the Lumia 920!

My views on the same conundrum Sir, copy pasted from the iPhone thread --

Is this is an iphone 5 bash thread or a legit one discussing the phone? Seems ridiculous that people ignorantly bash a phone which out performs every android device on the market.

AnandTech - The iPhone 5 Performance Preview

All fine and dandy Sire.

But I can interpret the above mentioned, read 'emboldened' any which way I please.

If you buy a phone, PC, camcorder (OR any other electronic consumable) only by looking at its benchmark numbers then everyone of us should tote around an Intel powered PC, nVidia Kepler graphics card and nothing but D-SLR's with Instagram on our phones.

I am not going to say SAMSUNG / Google are Angels but the fact is, I will be able to do a lot, maybe every 'revolutionary' feature that the iPhone5 has introduced with an Android device that retails at half-price, 4" screen (SAMSUNG Galaxy S Advance / Ace 2, MOTOROLA Atrix 2), Panorama picture capability -- SONY XPERIA go / Sola / U (and just download a simple application from the Google store / Apple App Store), slim and light, if you cannot carry a ~150gm phone too bad mate you need to seriously build up.

All we (at-least the most sane and rational ones of us) are saying is that Apple should seriously do a little bit of fact finding before calling its products 'revolutionary'. They kicked Google Maps fine but they hamstrung a lot of users with a sub-par experience (Google services are not perfect) but seriously to screw up with the wondrous disappearances and relocations -- London, is not in England on the Thames it is in Ontario state, Canada. Huh!

A stupid new proprietary connector, SONY backed off its vindictive streak by packing up its proprietary standards like that stupid charger / ear-phone plug-point in the Sony Ericsson and the SONY M2 /MMC flash-memory.

And I have no qualms if you feel I have flamed you because you see we are a free nation (thankfully) and we can harbour our own thoughts on certain facts and this means we need to have a slightly thick skin to deflect criticism of our view points OR whilst airing our dirt in the public. No hard feelings. Peace!

Also would request the mods to move the useless posts from the dedicated iPhone 5 thread as bashing seems to be spread out across multiple threads. May be we can have a single thread to actually discuss the product and other for everything else.
Agreed that people hate apple to the core and moreover because of its ridiculous patent lawsuits. But it would be in best interest of people who are actually considering the iPhone 5 as their next phone, to get relevant and precise information to help them decide.

Wow, surprisingly performance of A6 processor out performs every other device (smartphone) in the market :O A big reason to worry (Android fans) and a big reason to show off (Apple fans)

My views on the same conundrum Sir, copy pasted from the iPhone thread --

Mate, your points are well taken (I am a iphone 4 user), and that's precisely why I wanted to try out Android. I am just wondering which one I should go for, or simply wait for the Win 8 phones. But the benchmarks were quite surprising, because the everyday usability of the Iphone was never in question , it was always the innards that were criticized, but the anandtech article was a real eye opener. Hence, I am considering getting the IP5.

^
No doubt and you're in no way making the wrong decision. The Lumia 920 won't stand a chance against the IP5 either, the A6 chip even equaled/surpassed Qualcomm S4 Pro Quad performance so there is no way the Lumia 920 is going to come close with Win8 and Dual Core krait.

I personally hate Apple but this time we have to give credit to Apple for this outstanding feat. A 1.2 ghz Dual Core chip is outperforming even 1.5 ghz Quad Core A-15 like chip in the Optimus G is no joke at all.

Also one must keep in mind that performance is CRUCIAL and that's what someone buying a high end smartphone should look at first. And as of now and even until first half of next year it seems like the Iphone 5 is going to be the champ as far as performance goes.

I'm a loyal Sony fanboy but trust me if I had to choose a phone today to replace my Xperia S, it would most probably be the Iphone 5 and not Xperia T/TX/V.

[h=1]Apple iPhone 5 aluminum shell plagued by chipping issues[/h]22 September, 2012 | Comments (355) | Post your comment
Tags: Apple, iOS, Touch UI

It seems to have become a routine now. Every year Apple releases a new iPhone and while most of the customers are delighted a subset of buyers pull the short end of the stick. With the iPhone 4, it was the antennagate issue, with the iPhone 4S it was the battery life problem and now some iPhone 5 buyers are noticing dents on their prized possession.
gsmarena_001.jpg

Yes, many owners, particularly of the Black & Slate colored model, are reporting dents and scratches along the chamfered edges of their new iPhone right out of the box. We haven't seen many reports from owners of the White & Silver model, but that just might be because the color isn't particularly popular.
Now, anodized aluminum is known to pick up scuff marks easily. Because the color is painted on top, even a minor scuff can make it come off, revealing a shiny silver spot below. Also, aluminum is a soft metal, so it dents very easily, especially along thin edges. You'll find scuffs and dents on practically every anodized aluminum object that has been used for a while.
Which is why it wasn't a shock to us when we saw the iPhone picking up dents along the edges in this drop test. However, it is surprising when the device comes with scuff marks out of the box and points to poor quality checks at Apple's end.
Of course, Apple will readily replace any such device for you. But if you're importing this device to a different country (and we know many do), you will need to be careful and hold on till the issue gets sorted.
Update: Apparently, white units have the same issues as the black ones. We are really hoping Apple makes an official statement soon enough and explain the cause.

Apple iPhone 5 aluminum shell plagued by chipping issues - GSMArena.com news

Mate, your points are well taken (I am a iphone 4 user), and that's precisely why I wanted to try out Android. I am just wondering which one I should go for, or simply wait for the Win 8 phones. But the benchmarks were quite surprising, because the everyday usability of the Iphone was never in question , it was always the innards that were criticized, but the anandtech article was a real eye opener. Hence, I am considering getting the IP5.

I'm a bit confused. If the usability was never in question, how come the specs matter ? I don't think anyone ever complained that iPhone 4s was slow because of its SOC :S

^
No doubt and you're in no way making the wrong decision. The Lumia 920 won't stand a chance against the IP5 either, the A6 chip even equaled/surpassed Qualcomm S4 Pro Quad performance so there is no way the Lumia 920 is going to come close with Win8 and Dual Core krait.

I personally hate Apple but this time we have to give credit to Apple for this outstanding feat. A 1.2 ghz Dual Core chip is outperforming even 1.5 ghz Quad Core A-15 like chip in the Optimus G is no joke at all.

Also one must keep in mind that performance is CRUCIAL and that's what someone buying a high end smartphone should look at first. And as of now and even until first half of next year it seems like the Iphone 5 is going to be the champ as far as performance goes.

I'm a loyal Sony fanboy but trust me if I had to choose a phone today to replace my Xperia S, it would most probably be the Iphone 5 and not Xperia T/TX/V.

How can you comment about Lumia 920 before even using it ? :| You can't compare phones just with processor unless they have the same OS. Even with last gen Win 7 phones with single core Snapdragon procy and 512 MB RAM, they were super fluid. Use one to believe me.

The point I was trying to make is that the usability of the iPhone was never a question, but certain hardware features like the camera, a larger screen and may few other minor upgrades that iPhone users missed. If you look at pure hardware specs, most top end android phones trump the iPhone, but the benchmarks are an eye opener as the A6 is beating most flagship android devices.

The point I was trying to make is that the usability of the iPhone was never a question, but certain hardware features like the camera, a larger screen and may few other minor upgrades that iPhone users missed. If you look at pure hardware specs, most top end android phones trump the iPhone, but the benchmarks are an eye opener as the A6 is beating most flagship android devices.

Beefy hardware specs unfortunately do not convert into a pleasant and lag free mobile experience. The benchmarks might be very good for iPhone 5 but that is something which should not be considered because with whatever benchmarks you have, you still will be able to enjoy each and every app that a counterpart OS has even in the top most hardware spec phone.
So when it comes to iPhone, it is never the hardware spec (RAM, Core speed, cores etc) which is highlighted because at the end whatever is there inside, you still get everything designed for that phone.

Beefy hardware specs unfortunately do not convert into a pleasant and lag free mobile experience. The benchmarks might be very good for iPhone 5 but that is something which should not be considered because with whatever benchmarks you have, you still will be able to enjoy each and every app that a counterpart OS has even in the top most hardware spec phone.
So when it comes to iPhone, it is never the hardware spec (RAM, Core speed, cores etc) which is highlighted because at the end whatever is there inside, you still get everything designed for that phone.

Absolutely sir, couldnt agree more, having said that I have made an impulsive S3 purchase!

Back