Apple will start building iPhones in India by April end

Do you think iPhone will be priced on Par with its US pricing?

• Yes.. They would. What's the use of Make in India?

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • No.. They will avail sops, reduce import cost,rip indians and take away profits

Votes: 36 72.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

swatkats

Skilled
Apple Inc. will begin assembling iPhones in India by the end of April, a regional minister says, heightening its focus on the world’s fastest-growing major smartphone market as growth slows elsewhere.

The U.S. company has tapped Taiwan’s Wistron Corp. to put together its phones in the tech capital of Bangalore in Karnataka, said Priyank Kharge, the state’s information technology minister. Apple executives met with him in January and confirmed the timeline, he said in an interview.

The start of iPhone assembly in India comes after months of speculation on Apple’s plan for the market, which is led by rival Samsung Electronics Co. It signals a renewed focus on the country, where it just scrapes into the top 10, as growth begins to slow in China and other more mature markets. The Cupertino, California-based company is said to have put forward a long list of demands -- including a 15-year tax holiday to import components and equipment -- in negotiations with India’s federal government.

“Apple’s iPhones will be made in Bangalore and all devices will be targeted at the domestic market,” said Kharge, IT minister for Karnataka, of which Bangalore is the capital. Kharge said the state will help Apple if it decides to turn to other contract manufacturers in the region.

“We did not discuss any other incentives,” he said.

Apple didn’t immediately respond to an e-mailed request for comment.

Apple Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook said in an earnings call this week that India is “the place to be.”

The company shipped 2.5 million iPhones into the country in 2016. While that is its best year ever in terms of revenues and sales, it only ranked 10th among vendors in the December quarter according Counterpoint Research. Apple accounts for less than 2 percent of shipments in India, where an estimated 750 million smartphones will be sold by 2020.

The devices will be assembled through a plant on Bangalore’s outskirts operated by Wistron, a Taiwanese contract manufacturer.

Guess I was the only one who voted for the first option. he he.
I think Apple will make low quality phones for mass market (like iPhone 4/4s/5/5s with full plastic body and 16/32/64GB storage and low quality processor) and charge what mid range Android phones are sold at. Think HTC level type of phones at same price but only now instead of HTC even Apple would be doing the same thing. Would people buy their stuff? You bet. Everyone who apes the west and wants to show off the shiny fruit logo will buy it.

I feel that neither will they be introducing new models exclusively for the Indian market nor they would price it very cheap despite "make in India" and all that..
But we could definitely see a reduced pricing compared to the exorbitant figures which I see right now..

I have never owned an apple device in my life simply because the price tag is completely unreasonable.. And I feel paying ~60K for a phone is insane considering that it would become obsolete within just 1 year of usage with technological advancements..
Mid range phones around the ~15k mark are the sweet spot for people like me.. At this budget one can easily experience the essential features of a flagship device and also upgrade every year without breaking the bank.

And I feel paying ~60K for a phone is insane considering that it would become obsolete within just 1 year of usage with technological advancements.

I don't think it would be a matter for those who spend 100K on a weekend in a high end pub but what is painful is someone earning 40K per month and buying it and paying for it on monthly instalments. The phone becomes obsolete even before the instalment period is over. No offence meant to anyone but I have seen some of my colleagues who would struggle to pay bills every month but would buy the phones in hire purchase schemes with eyes closed. Does owning this device makes one such superior? I fail to understand.

It's just assembling and Packing in India.

All the parts are imported from China.

So there won't be a major impact on pricing either.
We can expect Max 10℅ less than current price.

Why is "Make in India" even in the poll when its just assembly? :S
Anyway, I voted for that.
I asked this question somewhere: why can't we get these products directly imported from China which BTW is just next to our borders instead for China->Umurica>India? These companies attribute the high costs to customs+shipping and not because of high profit. If they really wanted to cut down on these "unnecessary" high costs wouldn't it be better if they were to do it here especially since they would want the business to be long term? Not just iPhones but laptops and other electronics. U.S. pricing and India (PH and Malaysia too) differ by a lot.
Keeping the quality doubts aside I think this iPhone assembly and new costs of iPhones will either prove that doing it here is really beneficial or confirm that their claims regarding high import+shipping were just a load of bs.

I don't think they will price it lesser, it will continue to be the same with discounts. Coming to selection of iPhone SE, it could be possible that the volumes may not be large enough, hence Indian made is fine.

http://www.amazon.in/Apple-iPhone-Space-Grey-32GB/dp/B01NCN4ICO

Specifications of Assembled in India iPhone 6: Which costs Rs 28,999 30,700
  • 4.7-inch 750p LED-backlit IPS LCD
  • Dual-core Apple A8 Processor with PowerVR GX6450 GPU
  • 1 GB RAM
  • 32Gb Storage
  • 8 megapixel rear camera with 1/3″ sensor size, 1.5µm pixel size, dual-tone LED flash.
  • 1.2 megapixel front facing camera
  • iOS 10 ( May get 11, But definitely not 12) :p
  • 1,810mAh Battery
  • 4G LTE VoLTE
  • No 3D Touch support
  • First generation Touch ID

vs

OnePlus 3T specifications Rs 29,999

• 5.5-inch (1920×1080 pixels) Full HD Optic AMOLED display with 2.5D curved Corning Gorilla Glass 4 protection
  • 2.35GHz Quad-Core Snapdragon 821 64-bit processor with Adreno 530 GPU
  • 6GB LPDDR4 RAM, 64GB (UFS 2.0) storage
  • Android 7.0 with Oxygen OS
  • Dual nano SIM slots
  • 16-megapixel rear camera with LED flash, Sony IMX298 sensor, 1.12 micron pixel size, f/2.0 aperture, EIS 2.0, PDAF, OIS, 4K video recording at 30 fps, 720p slow motion at 120fps
  • 16MP front-facing camera with Samsung 3P8SP sensor, 1.0 micron pixel size, f/2.0 aperture, PDAF, 1080p video recording
  • Fingerprint sensor
  • Bottom-facing speaker, dual microphone for noise cancellation
  • 4G LTE with VoLTE, WiFi 802.11ac dual-band (MIMO), Bluetooth 4.2, GPS + GLONASS, NFC, USB Type-C
  • 3400mAh battery with Dash Charge

Hands down. You know who is the winner :D

PS: 16GB still sells for Rs 30K, So you're getting like Double storage now! But No, Thank you!

Last edited:
http://www.amazon.in/Apple-iPhone-Space-Grey-32GB/dp/B01NCN4ICO

Specifications of Assembled in India iPhone 6: Which costs Rs 28,999
  • 4.7-inch 750p LED-backlit IPS LCD
  • Dual-core Apple A8 Processor with PowerVR GX6450 GPU
  • 1 GB RAM
  • 32Gb Storage
  • 8 megapixel rear camera with 1/3″ sensor size, 1.5µm pixel size, dual-tone LED flash.
  • 1.2 megapixel front facing camera
  • iOS 10 ( May get 11, But definitely not 12) :p
  • 1,810mAh Battery
  • 4G LTE VoLTE
  • No 3D Touch support
  • First generation Touch ID

vs

OnePlus 3T specifications Rs 29,999

• 5.5-inch (1920×1080 pixels) Full HD Optic AMOLED display with 2.5D curved Corning Gorilla Glass 4 protection
  • 2.35GHz Quad-Core Snapdragon 821 64-bit processor with Adreno 530 GPU
  • 6GB LPDDR4 RAM, 64GB (UFS 2.0) storage
  • Android 7.0 with Oxygen OS
  • Dual nano SIM slots
  • 16-megapixel rear camera with LED flash, Sony IMX298 sensor, 1.12 micron pixel size, f/2.0 aperture, EIS 2.0, PDAF, OIS, 4K video recording at 30 fps, 720p slow motion at 120fps
  • 16MP front-facing camera with Samsung 3P8SP sensor, 1.0 micron pixel size, f/2.0 aperture, PDAF, 1080p video recording
  • Fingerprint sensor
  • Bottom-facing speaker, dual microphone for noise cancellation
  • 4G LTE with VoLTE, WiFi 802.11ac dual-band (MIMO), Bluetooth 4.2, GPS + GLONASS, NFC, USB Type-C
  • 3400mAh battery with Dash Charge

Hands down. You know who is the winner :D

How dare you compare some Chineeeeseee sheeeeeet with eyefhone. Narak ki aag mein jal ;P

How dare you compare some Chineeeeseee sheeeeeet with eyefhone. Narak ki aag mein jal ;P
This Flagship killer kills iPhone 6 and iPhone 6S+ and also iPhone 7 up to some extent :p

And also by your logic, iPhone is also Made in China phone. So boycott. :p
Made in India also useless. Actually Gossip is that People with Useless Old notes can buy this phone for 29k :D :p:wtf:

@swatkats - where is it mentioned that the 32gb i6 is assembled in india ? hvnt heard it. the pricing is now pretty even now and consistent, 29k for iphone 6, 41k fro 6s and 49k for 7. 20-24 gb usable space is enough for a majority of users who will buy iphone.

^ Not official but looking at the Seller which is exclusive to E-Mobiles based in Bengaluru and the Wistron plant near Bengaluru.

Anyway 29k price is valid till today and 30.7k from tomorrow.

I wonder whether the concept of getting outdated significantly applies to the iPhone as it does to Android phones.

I'm not an iPhone user but from what I've seen over the years with my colleagues iPhones, the icons, navigation and way of doing things has basically remained the same. Plus, Apple I believe supports older models of the iPhone quite well is what I'm told. From that point of view, if you don't care about cutting edge and just need some level of familiarity when you switch devices (for larger screen size/better camera/some new features etc.) the iPhone would probably offer better value for money.

However, the exorbitant pricing, poor battery life, pay for everything even after you've bought such an expensive device and to me the most important - restrictive manner of doing things also keeps me away from an iPhone. Just a disclaimer...my experience with apple devices is my father's iPad Air 2 and from what folks have told me, it's not the best device to get an impression of what apple has to offer.

Back