Asteroid Apophis may impact earth in 2036 - Nasa

During its close passage by the Earth on April 13 2029, it is possible (but improbable) that asteroid Apophis will pass through a keyhole leading to a collision in 2036. Recent concern has centered on how to evaluate the possibility of a collision in 2036 and take action, if necessary, to deflect the asteroid. For discussion of how to deal with this possible threat, read more.

Courtesy: http://impact.arc.nasa.gov/news_detail.cfm?ID=165

The 2004 MN4 is big enough to cause planet Earth the damage of regional scale. If it hits the planet, the impact will be comparable to the blast of a 1,000-megaton bomb. The asteroid was discovered in June of 2004; the calculation of its orbit will be completed in December of the current year. Astronomers calculated at first that chances for the asteroid to hit planet Earth on 13 April 2029 would be estimated at 1 to 38. Additional computations showed, however, that Earth will avoid the collision with the asteroid, although it will fly very close to the planet: the asteroid's trajectory will be lower than the altitude of television satellites. People will be able to observe the celestial body as a fast-moving luminous dot.

Courtesy : http://english.pravda.ru/science/19/94/377/15322_asteroid.html

More than what will happen, my question is what would you do if you knew that humans were destined for mass extinction in the coming days??

^ Lol!!

Anyways, i had read in the TOI few months back that a Asteroid might crash into earth in 2019. Must have been 2029, cant remember. So must be the same 1. Hmmm....

What would i do..

I voted for ..

Spend the remaining time with loved ones

Go on a shopping spree (whatever you may wish to buy)

Do the craziest thing you ever wanted to do (bungee, sky diving etc.)

Yeah! Here comes the best proccy / mobo / ram at that time. Lol.

ill most probably spend the rest of the tinme...with friends...drinking dining and ill go to strip clubs daily:p...y only on the last night

I wud have first gone on a world tour..relish the diversity of the terrain and its people..from rain forests to deserts and the mountains..afterall it may not be the same again..

Then i wud have done my craziest thing..sky diving..enjoy the joy of flying without wings..

and lastly i wud have spent the last day with my family...and face it all together!! :)

CaaYoTee said:
I wud have first gone on a world tour..relish the diversity of the terrain and its people..from rain forests to deserts and the mountains..afterall it may not be the same again..

Then i wud have done my craziest thing..sky diving..enjoy the joy of flying without wings..

and lastly i wud have spent the last day with my family...and face it all together!! :)

i wud go on the Astroid along with a few friends, with help of NASA, blow it into two and change its trajectory and be a Hero!!

Armageddon - The movie, anyone? :p

Well, I for one would be the last person to sit at home and brood and cry. I will just make sure that my death is quick nd painless....:p

Of course, before that, I will live life to the fullest!!!

Go to Europe, drive the best cars on the best roads, etc...etc....

Hmm....well if i'm lucky enuf to survive till 2036, i'd
Spend the remaining time with loved ones
Go on a shopping spree
Pray to god for mercy
and probably go further than the strip clubs (as mentioned by KK) :eek:hyeah:

Japan’s Hayabusa mission

Regarding the skill required to deposit a transponder on Apophis, Schweickart saluted Japan’s Hayabusa asteroid sample-return mission, now in progress.

That craft is scheduled to make two landings on its target asteroid – Itokawa -- later this month. The mission is geared to haul back samples of the object to Earth.

Scientists at Japan’s Institute of Space and Astronautical Science (ISAS) are working day-by-day issues in readying the probe for contact with the asteroid, including release of a mini-robot onto Itokawa that will move about and survey its rocky surroundings. ISAS is a research arm of the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA).

“It’s an impressive mission,†Schweickart said, sure to yield operational experience and lessons learned on how best to execute duties on asteroid Apophis.

Source
http://www.space.com/news/051103_asteroid_apophis.html

As for now, I just pray that possibilty of the Asteroid hitting earth keeps on decreasing. Come to think of it, If I survive till 2036 I'd probably be married and have kids, damn I wouldnt want them to die in an early age :no: I believe there's a lot of power in prayer if it comes from the heart. So guys don't only pray for yourselves but also for the millions n millions living on this earth.:)
Peace

goldenfrag said:
Rave, i hope you have to stay behind like Bruce Willis too :bleh:

Heh.. j/k..

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Lolz

@Nervz : As for now, I just pray that possibilty of the Asteroid hitting earth keeps on decreasing. Come to think of it, If I survive till 2036 I'd probably be married and have kids, damn I wouldnt want them to die in an early age I believe there's a lot of power in prayer if it comes from the heart. So guys don't only pray for yourselves but also for the millions n millions living on this earth.

Peace

Those were divine words but i guess prayers alone may not deflect the rock...instead we'd pray for giving humankind enough technological powers by 2020-25 so that we cud blast that asteroid apart(and not ourselves :p) well before it breaches our perimeter!!

Last edited by a moderator:
well i know u guys know nuthin bout me just know tht 2012 is our reaearch topic we have pls in a group invbolved in this latest research topic if u want to know what it is just google it. anyways btw it seems far.. aint near. will be a newe begining.
i would like to be one carrying the destiny of mankind on shoulders and ofcourse by the last time i'll get out of my house hold hands in hands with my gf :) and share the intimate time to be cherished somewhere else in heaven.peace. i just felt like crying whil writing this sry i'mma pretty emotional anyways 2 my gf love you baby :) .

^^Hey buddy, dont get so emotional..afterall by 2036 we'll all be old enough..most of us in our ripe age and i guess if you are deeply in love with ur gf you'll most probably be couple for a long long time by then..seen the highs n lows of life and pretty much prepared for anything..(you know that eternal line.."till death do us apart".. ;) )

Well, as for me, given my current age, i'll be 56 yrs. by 2036(if i live long enough) and wud be more than happy to call it quits as old age seems more scary to me than the asteroid itself!!....18 till i die... :p

Well, I will be 50 by that time :p Most of my life would have been lived. Hopefully, I would have driven a supercar on the German Autobahns, owned a superbike, and basically had fun in my life......

Back