Asteroid Apophis may impact earth in 2036 - Nasa

CaaYoTee said:
Those were divine words but i guess prayers alone may not deflect the rock...instead we'd pray for giving humankind enough technological powers by 2020-25 so that we cud blast that asteroid apart(and not ourselves :p) well before it breaches our perimeter!!

I did mention Japan's Hayabusa Mission. We're all looking forward and praying for the success of that mission aren't we :)

Guys, i found this page on the University of arizona website...a few professors and students have developed this asteroid impact effect calculator...just fill in the required data of your hypothetical projectile , set the density and composition of the material, impact velocity and angle,the target(water, land), your distance from the impact and HIT the CALCULATE EFFECTS button and you'll get the detailed information about the damage done to earth by it..like the amount of energy released, the diameter and depth of crater created, effects on the axis of the earth, effects on buildings,human beings,survival etc...

Kindof eerie you know...just go on increasing your projectile's size and density and see the effects...even plain words on the impact effect will scare you..

just take it for a ride..awesome site.. :)

http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/impacteffects/

Back