ASUS WL-520gU as torrent downloader

ekampreet

Disciple
HI ,

Recently while surfing net, and from few old threads of [TE], came to knw than we can use ASUS WL-520GU router as torrent client (by installing Oleg, DD-WRT or tomato firmware).
Thus wanna knw , does anyone is using this router with a torrent client, and what is the performance of torrent client and WiFi with this.

Will be a g8t help for R&D Enthusiasts .

Hope to hear soon from many of you.
Ekam

i m trying to install the olegs firmware

installed all firmwares dd wrt is the bad one but it works on everything according to the site

those who think u would get a gui for torents are wrong

its linux

@amit: hey I'm doin my own R&D here

The torrent client does have a web gui, if you have installed transmission torrent that is

to access it you need to type in your browser :

Code:
http://your.routers.ip:9091

It looks like this

WebGeneralLarge.png

The Router and the NAS box are done. Thanks to Boomshankar who helped me set it up :hap2: The only thing left to be done is the torrent download client. Once that is done, its Happy Downloading Time :clap:

christophe said:
The Router and the NAS box are done. Thanks to Boomshankar who helped me set it up :hap2: The only thing left to be done is the torrent download client. Once that is done, its Happy Downloading Time :clap:

g8t.

can you and BOOMSHANKAR can post step by step info , so that others can replicate them easily on their 520gU

archat68 said:
Can the transmission client installed on the router be scheduled (for downloading from2-8AM)?

Hope there should be schedular in linux which can be used for starting and shutting transmission client.

hey guys ,

i myself haven't had the time to figured it all out yet (Work,Work,Work)

btw, i too am a noob knowing squat about linux and i'm following other guides available online, but most of them are all bits and pieces

once i figure evrything out properly i'll definitely put up a comprehensive guide for the others

btw some imp links for others who have are in the same boat:

for Tomato:

Tomato ND USB Mod - LinksysInfo - Community Forums for Linksys Devices

LinksysInfo - Community Forums for Linksys Devices - View Single Post - Tomato ND USB Mod

For Oleg:

[How To] Install and Configure Olegs firmware - AsusForum.NET -- WL500g

For DDwrt:

Asus WL-520GU - DD-WRT Wiki

Optware, the Right Way - DD-WRT Wiki

I've found that DDwrt is the most comprehensive but a bit complicated,

oleg seems the most simple but (was) lacking in features(could not find option to mirror computer mac address so couldn't access net as my net connection is bound to comp mac address)

tomato firmware on the other hands seems the most user friendly , u can set up nas in 2 minutes with tomato :hap2:

but don't take my word for it , try each and see which ur more comfirtable with

I mean any feature within the transmission client that has to be installed in the router for scheduling i,e automatically start the downloads between 2-8 AM even with the PC switched off.
If you have to use PC for scheduling then the whole point in using the 520GU as torrent downloader isn't worthy.
ekampreet said:
Hope there should be schedular in linux which can be used for starting and shutting transmission client.

hey BOOM wanna knw how much speed u get on NAS through AL-520gU.

archat68 said:
I mean any feature within the transmission client that has to be installed in the router for scheduling i,e automatically start the downloads between 2-8 AM even with the PC switched off.
If you have to use PC for scheduling then the whole point in using the 520GU as torrent downloader isn't worthy.

@archat we are talking about the linux on router. When u install firmware on router , it means mini Linux kernel is running on router, on which u install this TRANSMISSION .

Hope i cleared my point ;)

Back