ASUS WL-520gU as torrent downloader

No problem mate. Repped you for your help.

I'm yet to get the router. My main concern was scheduling - which was putting me off from buying this router.

If it's possible can you post a brief tutorial at TE or at your blog regarding steps required to setup the 520GU (starting with the oleg firmware and scheduling and startup and shutdown scripts?)

np..only issue about a tut is that i don't get any time these days..spending 14-16 hours daily at work..lets see if i can get something up..but anyways scheduling shouldn't be your concern, its doable..if anything, i can write up the script for you when you get the router..(though you will have to test it as my hard disk connected to my router went kaput last week..thinking whether to get a new one or buy/create a more powerful setup, power usage is putting me off though)

O.k. will get in touch with you when I buy the router.

I know I'm asking you too much in view of your work schedule but in the meantime - if possible give some of your time for the tutorial.

plz note down the diff in 500W and 520gU

Asus WL500W - Router details

Chipset Broadcom4704 Initial flash via Asus tool or TFTP

RAM 32 MB

FLASH 8 MB

so be careful with the application count, as the amount of memory in double in WL500W.

if u only need dl manager then you can also opt for RT-n13U

Asus WL520GU - Router details

Chipset Broadcom5354 Initial flash via Asus tool or TFTP

This unit runs at 200MHz due to clock problems!

RAM 16 MB

FLASH 4 MB

okay here is a two cent review / how to from me (been there, done that)

1. first off, flash the 520GU to tomato ND Teddy Bear mod. it cant get any better or simpler.

2. then ensure that the usb drive you are attaching SHOULD be linux FS. even though the tomato mod supports ntfs, i'd suggest everyone to stick with ext3. it needs to have three partitions. first about 1gb for where optware will be installed. second as swap about 512mb and remaining as ext3 format.

3. download putty for use with windows. and start with the optware script as posted in the links above

4. configure mounting of disks at startup

5. download and configure transmission daemon. ensure to never download more than 2 torrents in one go and also reduce the number of peers per torrent to be around 30.

hopefully u'd be good to go. incase of any further assistance feel free to google or buzz us here !

review:

1. its a great setup provided you dont end up wanting too much from it. respect that ultimately its just a router with very very limited resources.

2. nas speeds are in the range of 1.5 - 2.0 mb/s when using wired, so dont fret for they being slow. even the better dedicated devices that are primarily nas like qnap and synology, just about double these speeds and no better for 7 times the price and more.

3. additional advantage of using and setting a ftp server in a snap.

4. further setting up a dynamic dns service to ensure u can access the transmission daemon from anywhere on the internet. goggle and u'd know how.

5. lowest energy consumption imaginable.

6. only thing seeming difficult is to get it going, post that its just a very very smooth drive.

^^512MB is too much...i have never seen my swap usage go past a few MBs and rarely above 10 megs even though i run shitload of things on it..

And apart from the above stuff, you can do a lot of other things as well, e.g., I also use it for:

1. video streaming to PS3 from the hard disk

2. audio streaming over daapd

3. audio "playing" through a USB sound card

4. Tunnel for secure/private browsing from work

5. monitoring house through webcam when away

6. Running a caching proxy

and lots and lots of other things and my own custom scripts and programs.

Hey guys, me too just bought the 520GU two weeks back. Have already flashed it with the latest version of Oleg and everythings a lot more stable now. The funny thing is, the 'Air' LED on the router seems to be dying. It's very dim and at times dosent even light up but WiFi is still working fine as I use it mostly with my iPod. Question is, should I exchange the piece for a new one? Is this a side effect of the flashing? (seems unlikely since the AIR light was working fine for the past two days after the flash )

Another reason i got this router is the Torrent downloading without the PC but if you can only download 3-4 at a time then this whole process does not seem worth it. I will give Samba and the other features a try though as it's already there in the firmware. Cheers!

oleg's firmware should not affect the LED.

BTW, instead of going for the default oleg firmware, try this wl500g - Project Hosting on Google Code

This is being developed by some other developers continuing on from where oleg left (they also promise mainstream RT-N16 support soon). I am using the latest version of this one and it is much more stable for me.

flasing at times changes the led pattern. i have noticed in the past when i flashed a buffalo router to dd-wrt. but you say it worked fine for two days after the flash, so maybe you can consider getting the router checked. i would suggest riverting back to the stock firmware before you take it back !

Thanks guys, suddenly the LED seems to be fine now...go figure!

@shantanugoel..........im currently using that very same firmware :D

Today I received my 520GU from Vijay (buygamingstuff) and hooked it up to my system and found it to be working well. Then got down to modding it and installed dd-wrt on it and hooked it up to my 500GB transcend ext. drive. Now, it is working well with optware installed. Using transmission bt client to download my torrents. Will test its performance over the next week and if it works well, I may order 2 more of these to utilise my broadband connections to their fullest.

Back