Audio Audio Technica ATH M50

mehta_april

Disciple
Hey Folks

I'm planning to buy Audio Technica ATH M50, but I'm curious to know about other alternatives, within the range of 7000INR budget.

Any kind of suggestion regarding buying or not buying or looking for other options is most welcomed.

The M50s are the best closed-cans you can get around 7-7.5k . Also got to audition the ATH-T500 today which are cheaper than the M50 but much more comfortable , light-weight and sound pretty good as well . Comparing side by side the M50s had a fuller sound and more bass but the T500 were very much neutral and detailed as well .

Also got to try some of the cheaper cans like M20,M35 etc and found them to be very VFM compared to similarly priced Sennheiser line-up. Looks like AT has a bright future in India .

Today i tried the SR125 , i will say its great with very good detail and a natural response

Its not bass heavy but certainly not bass light , consider these as well! :)

^ Dude the Grado's don't even come in this discussion man. Grados are open and bass light compared to the closed back, bass like the eye of the tiger M50 ;)

hmm, is not he looking for a ~7K HP ! he dd not give any Signature requirements !

SR80 must be good in the Price range.

...Or am i missing something here!?

Koss Portapros ! :D

I like them better than the M50s. :p

Much cheaper to boot !!!

M50s have MUCH better bass but the Portapros are all about balance. Good bass, good mids, good treble, small sounstage with good imaging.

Yeah PortaPro's are pretty awesome for the money, I'll admit, but they're also supraural so leak a lot of sound and cannot be used on the go.

I've heard about ImageOne being quite decent - but again it has the traditional Klipsch signature. So.. that's that.

laemo said:
Yeah PortaPro's are pretty awesome for the money, I'll admit, but they're also supraural so leak a lot of sound and cannot be used on the go.
I've heard about ImageOne being quite decent - but again it has the traditional Klipsch signature. So.. that's that.
I use IEMs on the go. I wouldn't have the guts to move around with a M50 on my head ! :p

Unfortunately the OP has not mentioned about his sound preferences. :(

Warm, non-fatiguing sound? That's what I'd read at least.

And yeah, M50's are WAY too bulky to use on the move - I was keen to buy them, but after trying them on, no chance I'll be picking them up. My Meelectronics HT-21's are on the way, while they're not as bassy as PortaPro's, they offer a pretty darn good value for money at $35 so I'll settle for them for portable listening via headphones.

its not size , , any HP even portable smallest HM look way too much awkward in public ! :(

imagine people looking at you while you Listen in music , IEMs and earbuds are the only Public portable choices ! Portable HPs are not for portable uSe rather they are portable i.e, small enough to be kept in a bag!

BTW , I would not call S4 non fatiguing !

I don't own any Klipsch products (tempted to buy the Custom 3, I'll admit - despite the crappy cable) - but that's what I've heard. Don't sue me guys :p

strategy said:
BTW , I would not call S4 non fatiguing !

+1 they are no ways laid-back or non-fatiguing . I am gonna write down all my impressions of S4 today and ship them to Esantosh . Ive been holding them on to them for a bit too long :ashamed:.

Back