Audio Audio Technica ATH M50

Talking about fatigue!Try IE8 for a couple of hours,you will see!!IE7 on the other hand is absolutely brilliant for hours together.

FaH33m said:
+1 they are no ways laid-back or non-fatiguing . I am gonna write down all my impressions of S4 today and ship them to Esantosh . Ive been holding them on to them for a bit too long :ashamed:.
lol , dont worry santosh is not in a hurry to try them i suppose ! he has if Hands ( um, ears ) full right now with High end IEMs right now ! :D

BF1983 said:
Ah, the RE1s are the best for the most fatigue free listening. :)
... because they have no portion of the spectrum that it can fatigue you with :p.

But seriously, for someone who listens to more mid-centric music, IEMs like e-Q7, SE530 and to a lesser extent, RE1 can be very non-fatiguing. SE-530 is said to have the sweetest mids because it does not bother you with either bass or treble.

Well if I didn't care for SQ I wouldn't be carrying around a big portable amp with wires sticking out and getting worried stares from fellow train commuters ! :p

Its just that I dont like an aggressive sound. My love for the HD650 (rolled off treble and laid back sound) and the RE1s (even more rolled off treble and laid back sound) is testament to my preferences. One mans garbage is another mans gold. :)

@Esantosh - Hump ! I dont care that they are missing a part of the audio spectrum.

Btw, I made a big blunder today when I placed my 6 charged batteries into the same pouch where my 6 discharged batteries were placed. Now I dont know which is charged and which is not ! :ashamed:

Anyways so I got irritated listening to the RE262s unamped and switched to my Re1s that I had stopped using for the last couple of weeks after I got the RE262s and man they really made my day. Even unamped I still enjoyed them so much more than the technically better RE262s unamped. :)

Of course once my battery issue is hopefully sorted today I will be back to listening to the RE262s but I am still going to enjoy the RE1s on my way back today.

I wonder if you would find a custom suitable for your preferences. Of all the IEMs I have, only e-Q5 (mellow, forward, airy, more neutral), SM3 (warm, thick, very forward) have a nice mid range for vocal centric music. Even with proper amping (via Maverick D1 which was the only thing that gave it proper power), I did not like the RE1 as much as you do. But then, you'll bury DBA-02 twelve feet under if I gave them to you. To each his own :)

^^ You are giving me your DBA-02s ? Cool I accept !!! :D

Ok ok, ill settle for just the e-Q5s. :)

On a serious note I gave the RE0s a better listen at the meet and frankly I couldn't believe all the hype around them on the net. The vocals seem so dry and lifeless and the closed in soundstage didn't do one bit in helping me enjoy my kind of music.

And yeah I have almost decided to go for the UM Mages. But I will probably have to sell off my RE262s to reduce my expenditure for them. :p

^^ I can write your review of DBA-02 without even sending them - "treble-some garbage" :p

RE0 still does well with my kind of music. But, it's imaging still feels odd at times.

Are you sure that Mage will be suitable for your kind of music? What about SE530 re-shelled (provided you find a SE530 for a decent price)?

Whether M50 requires amp or they can be used without amp like AD700?

Sansa Fuze+ can easily drive AD700.

Also,any one tried KOSS UR40 they can be found around 2200 on GEB?

I personally feel that open cans have better sound stage.

m50 are more efficient than ad700 !

BF1983, Mage sure has very good soundstage and Mids , But can you live with the great treble they have?

^^ See I dont like treble with sibilance and a lot of spikes. The Mage seems to have zero sibilance so I should be fine with them. I want them mainly for their soundstage performance and also because their bass is not too strong.

I have used the Grado SR225 and I could listen to them for an hour without any fatigue so if treble is well done I wont have a problem.

The main reason I am going for Mage is three fold -

1. I dont have Esantosh budget and so I cant afford the top tier IEMs like JH-13 and UM Miracle. :p

2. My ear canals are a bit odd shape (whole reason I want to go down the custom route) so I might face fit issues. Since UM has its Indian distributor in Amarbir I shouldn't face too many problems. Also the UM Mage responds to better equipement and sources so they will sound even better out of the MS 2 and my new amp. :)

3. I dont want to buy a used custom and then remold it as there is every possibility that the drivers can get damaged and without warranty all my money would go down the drain.

Shures seem to be overpriced earphones and they certainly wont be able to match custom IEMs in SQ for sure.

Also if I dont like the SQ (highly unlikely going by the reviews) I can always swap OPAMPs on the Ibasso and tilt the sound till it suits me. (And yes SQ does vary a LOT when swapping OPAMPs)

Of course all this is moot till I can muster the courage to transfer 30k for a pair of earphones. :p

Thank you guys....for such a wonderful inputs, definitely ATH M50 are incomparable in there range and there offering segement.

I'm pretty sure and confident now that its a worth investment.

You guys really rocked. :)

BF1983 said:
^^ See I dont like treble with sibilance and a lot of spikes. The Mage seems to have zero sibilance so I should be fine with them. I want them mainly for their soundstage performance and also because their bass is not too strong.

What about the cheaper 1964-T then? That's what I was thinking.

Shures may be overpriced. But, have any of us tried 'em yet?

A custom IEM may enhance your experience through proper fit and seal. But if you have a 'universal fit' ear, universals won't lag that far behind. The difference in terms of SQ is not huge as in moving from a RE2 to RE262, but more like moving from RE0 to RE252 - refined, better, less flaws, best fit and seal, no need to bother with tips and of course not much resale value. All these theories will be checked if and when I get a custom IEM. But, I may never :ashamed:

Congrats Mehta on your purchase. Please do let us know how u feel about the M50. It would help others understand from your experience with them.

And guys please refrain from going OT. :)

Back