Career graph is going bad , need advice from older people :'(

This is a troll thread, isn't it?

(And these hike numbers are blowing my mind a little. I've only effectively had a 3.5% per year salary hike over the last 7 years. :/)

Well good news is with the help of my brother in law I convinced my parents to temporary halt looking for girls few days back
Partying from last 2 days
Like seriously who the heck marries at 25??

Well good news is with the help of my brother in law I convinced my parents to temporary halt looking for girls few days back
Partying from last 2 days
Like seriously who the heck marries at 25??
25 years is the right age for marriage as you can both go places after getting married but only after 3 years ie.28 years anyone can plan to go begot children.
If you plan to marry maybe after another 3 years from now ie.28 years everything gets too fast forward like begetting children and all kinds of burdens welcomes you with open arms there after.
Bachelor life is superb life because you can do what ever you want or spend without worrying about any wife or children but once you get married after 2 years starts troubles for us Indians.
25(Marriage)> 28(Begot children)> 30(Burdens start)

As for me I married when I was 29 immediately a baby girl within 1 year so there was not much time for both of us to spend life together without any burdens.
This is my honest suggestion to most of the later generation buddies.

Grad - BBA , after that worked in a small company in a operations role for like 8 months

Then did MBA from a average college - after that I worked for 11 months in a company in core marketing profile but due to issues with boss left. had to join another and due to my desperation joined for same salary at a company. However i worked for only 4 month there and joined a 'growing' company by foolishly listening to a friend who worked there. Again i did mistake in leaving prev company without intimation and din get any exp. letter and thought since friend was manager i wud get a good raise.My profile here is operations which is diff from prev, however salary wasn't given much hike(approx 10% only :( ) and was lured there that appraisal happens in dec so ul get a good hike in it like last year. Now company didnt get good business this year and is on a slowdown phase. While last year people got 20-40% hikes this year already i heard today rumors and talks of just 5-15% hike. Feels like biggest mistake of life to come here, what to do ? My friends who started career with similar 20-25k salary have moved on to like 30-35 most of them while im stuck and crying in my heart. Nowdays u cant even expect to marry a decent woman in under 45k salary and that seems so far away in years. My very soul has become sad and unhappy with my life.

I feel i should have stuck with a marketing profile ( not sales btw ) than go to a operations one . now im stuck and feel hopeless.
If everybody expects 45k salary before marriage if no ancestral property is there then half of India's men under 28 years of age will never marry because later on it will be difficult to get a decent girl if you pass 30+ years.
Look only positively and don't compare with others and don't change firms too often but tend to stay in 1 firm for at least 3+ years. OK.

it will be difficult to get a decent girl if you pass 30+ years.

Highly debatable dude. With the rise of the new generation, many girls nowadays have also refused to be married before 30 saying they'd rather work, earn and save money. But i understand why some people want to get married in their early/mid 20's. And why is everyone so mad worried about not getting "decent" girls? I'm sure you'll have many opportunities to meet many good lasses. I honestly feel that we put too much weight in the "looks" department. But then again i'm not a good judge of character!

OP. It's a kind of mild phase of anxiety which is a mix due to career issues as well as personal life goals. It is not abnormal as you are concerned for your future. However being stuck in such dilemmas, sometimes, distracts oneself from the correct way to proceed. For that, it is important that one has to be receptive to the advices being received and at the same time be alert to understand which one applies, which need to be planned for future and which ones to be dropped.

My perspective is that a career graph is very long. Small phases of dull or rough will not matter when you reach peak or dusk of your career. It would not matter after 25 years that first 1-2 years were lost due to early mistakes. However, that does not mean that one gets complacent and continue to repeat the mistakes. What is important is to know yourself. know your strengths, kind of work you would like to do. You could be good in accounts or may be an expert cook or amazing wild life photographer. Then try to plan a career along that. Initial couple of years may need hard work and once the momentum picks up, it will become easy sailing. Don't get distracted from early mistakes .. but understand them, learn the lessons they impart .. then move on with improved clarity.

Every one has a preference for the kind of partner they look for. At the same our culture, family lays down expectations and bounds on the marriage front. This creates a situation where one tries to get best of both world ... get a charming partner at the earliest. My perspective is one should also consider aspects like the kind of work you plan to do in your life, kind of family needs etc. Say your job demands a lot of travel or you plan to engage in a business that need a lot of time, and if your partner has a lengthy job timings ... how will you raise a family. Consider those as well.

As there have a lot of good thoughts people have shared already ... here are my 2 cents. Try to set long term goals. Then make short term plans to achieve those. Don't get disheartened by downs in your life. Try to fit the downs in your long term goal and see where they stand and how much short term plan you need to adjust in case there is an impact.
The more you remain contended with your achievements... the more you'll keep on getting.

Grad - BBA , after that worked in a small company in a operations role for like 8 months

Then did MBA from a average college - after that I worked for 11 months in a company in core marketing profile but due to issues with boss left. had to join another and due to my desperation joined for same salary at a company. However i worked for only 4 month there and joined a 'growing' company by foolishly listening to a friend who worked there. Again i did mistake in leaving prev company without intimation and din get any exp. letter and thought since friend was manager i wud get a good raise.My profile here is operations which is diff from prev, however salary wasn't given much hike(approx 10% only :( ) and was lured there that appraisal happens in dec so ul get a good hike in it like last year. Now company didnt get good business this year and is on a slowdown phase. While last year people got 20-40% hikes this year already i heard today rumors and talks of just 5-15% hike. Feels like biggest mistake of life to come here, what to do ? My friends who started career with similar 20-25k salary have moved on to like 30-35 most of them while im stuck and crying in my heart. Nowdays u cant even expect to marry a decent woman in under 45k salary and that seems so far away in years. My very soul has become sad and unhappy with my life.

I feel i should have stuck with a marketing profile ( not sales btw ) than go to a operations one . now im stuck and feel hopeless.

i feel like you are concentrating more on money matter at very early stage(both age and experience). stop counting pennies now and slog like a dog until you get good grip on what you do. once you have something good which others dont have, you no need to bargain..everything comes to you.

i feel like you are concentrating more on money matter at very early stage(both age and experience). stop counting pennies now and slog like a dog until you get good grip on what you do. once you have something good which others dont have, you no need to bargain..everything comes to you.

I second this. Sounds very cliché'd and whenever my previous boss told me this I thought it was due to his own self-interests. But as years passed I realised that the knowledge that I got during my early years really helped when I climbed up the hierarchy in the company. Money comes automatically when people acknowledge your efforts, though, you definitely need a boss who is impartial.

as was expected got literally no appraisal in jan . need a new job soon n hav been looking for the past week. 100 ppl in company got a letter to either get some goals achieved or leave. i escaped that atleast but they slapped me a 2% appraisal. wtf. was told since i hav spent only 6 months here my appraisal wud also be given pro rata. pathetic company. just felt like updating u guys.

Most of the big companies do a background verification when we move into them, so still we need to be more cautious when we leave the previous company and we should not have intimidated any of the managers or HR guys. Some of the new companies take the Background verification of previous companies very seriously. Thinking back many a times I would have liked to thrown the choicest expletives on the last day of work to some of the managers and HR guys of some of the previous companies but had held back thinking of the consequences at a later time.

Most of the big companies do a background verification when we move into them, so still we need to be more cautious when we leave the previous company and we should not have intimidated any of the managers or HR guys. Some of the new companies take the Background verification of previous companies very seriously. Thinking back many a times I would have liked to thrown the choicest expletives on the last day of work to some of the managers and HR guys of some of the previous companies but had held back thinking of the consequences at a later time.
Next time you change your company, do it by choice of being a professional and not because of the fear of it backfiring. One need not turn hostile to the folks one worked with during the tenure as soon as one knows that ones actions arent accountable any more and doesnt affect ones stance in the company

Next time you change your company, do it by choice of being a professional and not because of the fear of it backfiring. One need not turn hostile to the folks one worked with during the tenure as soon as one knows that ones actions arent accountable any more and doesnt affect ones stance in the company
Anyway the reality is different

Back