Confused between LG Optimus One & Samsung Galaxy Ace

vinaycm

Adept
I've planning to move to a mid range android phone for quite some time and has almost finalized upon the LG Optimus One.. But now the Samsung Galaxy Ace has been released with some better specs at a slight price premium and iam not totally confused..

The Samsung Galaxy Ace's price is around 3k higher with better specs than the LG Optimus One, other than for its lesser ram (just half of that of the O1) and lesser battery capacity.. Though i dont care for the latter, the lesser amount of ram seems to be a bit of a concern for me..

Is it advisable to shell out extra for the Ace?? Which would make a better vfm phone..

Almost every site suggests the O1 (before the Ace was released) at the price point and being a newer model couldnt yet find a good review for the Ace yet..

Waiting for your valuable suggestions..

You must first check both the handsets. I myself still regret my decision of buying HTC wildfire (>13000 bucks).

Most of Apps and Games doesnt play on it (Its all hardware specific).

Its all about money .

More Money=More games,Apps

Less Money=Crap games,Crap apps

Make sure Ace has everything you ever wish your phone to run,.

Do share your exp.

Thanks for the inputs..

According some sites the RAM size is 384MB & as per a thread in TE, its 278MB.. Still confused onto which one is true.. Going by the pricing of the device, its highly unlikely that Samsung will put in just 278MB onto the Ace.. Even the lower end Pop has 384MB of RAM..

One more query is regarding the GPU.. Does the Ace & O1 have a dedicated GPU??

Both ace and O1 have the same SOC (system on chip-processor, graphics and mobile chipset). Just that ace is 800mhz compared to O1's 600. Wait for a week. Reviews gotta come out by then.

I think ace should be around 1.5k more than O1. That's all i'm willing to pay for samsung's quality and 5MP cam. Also lg said it'll upgrade O1 to gingerbread. Samsung didn't announce anything so far.

So finally one very important question.. Does having just 256MB RAM makes a lot of difference while running apps/games?? Are there a lot of apps/games that would be incompatible because of the lower ram??

vinaycm said:
So finally one very important question.. Does having just 256MB RAM makes a lot of difference while running apps/games?? Are there a lot of apps/games that would be incompatible because of the lower ram??
My experience with android says you should wait.

Step 1:

First make up your mind over which app/games you are going to use it on your android.

Step 2:

Let the Ace or whatever android be reviewed from Best reviewer available over WWW.

Step 3:

Go to one of those black listed forums and check what are the possibilities with your android :) .

Step 4:

If everything meets your need ,buy one.

I m still regretting my decision of buying HTC wildfire for my friend.I found my old nokia 5800 to be more capable than expensive HTC wildfire.

the main problem with wildfire is screen resolution and size , its outdated now

dude its 278mb , I have tested it ,

More RAM = more multitasking , more applications can be ran on the background like widgets and wallpaper related apps ,

when ram space reaches its limit it will ask you to close some apps or it wont respond to your inputs

I hope this helps

LG= no resale value

Samsung = build quality and resale value

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

get ace at 13.049rs from letsbuy.com by using ICICILB coupon code and then pay with icici internet banking or debit/credit card

comp@ddict said:
All screens for below 16k ANdroid phones are pathetic. So pathetic(add 320x480 on 3.5") it alone is enough to make me stop from buying an Android.
That is indeed a very encompassing statement to make. For 11.5k I had paid for the O1, I would rather say that it has an excellent display (3.2") and this has nothing to do with Android. Pathetic in opinion if you are only looking at a 4" AMOLED phone at twice the price. Since the OP is looking at mid-range phones, I think the display does its job quite admirably. As far as my opinion goes, O1 is value for money. The additional RAM is quite helpful for multitasking and I would say the larger battery is of quite a consideration as I don't like to chug my charger along with me everywhere. If you are looking to root your phone, then overclocking it past 700Mhz more or less does the job as it makes the interface a lot snappier. As for the rest, the additional clock isn't a deal-breaker as the Adreno 200 GPU becomes the limiting factor.

blindly go for OP1 dude, I use lots of apps and I have 250-300MB left... and if i use some 8-10 apps in background then I will have 200-220MB memory left... use HDFC CC and get it for 9 months EMI with extra 500Rs processing fee and no interest if money is the concern... But get the OP1, you will never regret!! There is a lot of support for OP1.

for I5510(if tats the qwerty, then there is very less support for it).. do check all the stuff before buying. LG OP1 gives me atleast 2 days of battery with GPRS on 24x7

DarkAngel said:
3.5" 800*480 screen :D, MSM7227 600MHz, 256MB RAM :( Dell XCD 35 - 13.5k (Similar to ZTE Blade/Orange Fransisco but lesser RAM)

Dell XCD35 - Full phone specifications

Dell XCD35 Price In India: Buy Dell XCD35: Price, Reviews: Flipkart Mobiles

But then there are more downsides to the Dell XCD35 ....

1) Android OS V2.1 (Eclair), not 2.2 Froyo, can't depend on Updates. [v2.1 doesn't support wifi hotspot ability & flash contents will not show on the browser also Apps must be installed on Phone memory!!!!!!!]

2) 256 K Colours, not 16 Million

3) 3.2 Megapixel Cam :(

Things like 1250mAh of battery (Ace has 1350mAh) & ARM 11 600MHz processor (Ace has same CPU at 800MHz) are not a big deal as they are pretty same.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I would say Samsung Galaxy Ace is the way to go ... I myself went to buy it but in Kolkata it's still no available, & they call Kolkata a Metro City :D I almost bought a Motorola Defy for 18.5k then relaized that it dosn't have Android 2.2 Froyo (supposed to be Updated in 2nd Quarter 2011). But for me it is all about Here & Now so I have decided I am buying Samsung Galaxy Ace. Good luck with your decision.

I think galaxy ace is a bit overpriced now. Ebay price is 15.5k. I'm gonna wait till mid-march to see what the price'll be. Plus there's always the letsbuy.com 10% discount for icici customers.

Back