Confused between LG Optimus One & Samsung Galaxy Ace

vinaycm

Adept
I've planning to move to a mid range android phone for quite some time and has almost finalized upon the LG Optimus One.. But now the Samsung Galaxy Ace has been released with some better specs at a slight price premium and iam not totally confused..

The Samsung Galaxy Ace's price is around 3k higher with better specs than the LG Optimus One, other than for its lesser ram (just half of that of the O1) and lesser battery capacity.. Though i dont care for the latter, the lesser amount of ram seems to be a bit of a concern for me..

Is it advisable to shell out extra for the Ace?? Which would make a better vfm phone..

Almost every site suggests the O1 (before the Ace was released) at the price point and being a newer model couldnt yet find a good review for the Ace yet..

Waiting for your valuable suggestions..

vinaycm said:
Brought the Samsung Galaxy Ace.. Tried out the O1 also, but didnt quite like it.. So went for the Ace.. Very good in my opinion..
That was a precise decision. Samsung is way better than Lg. Plus you got a newer model as well.

:)

After a lot of 'Maatha-Pachhi' I bought the Optimus 1. Its a Great piece and well worth the price. As ajo_alex says the ram has not been so much of a problem yet. I feel the screen is a little small but hey.. for 11 grand its Alright. Its a good Phone and I'll say you wont regret buying it. I heard that LG are actually selling it for a loss (or something like that) to penetrate the market.. could be a rumor :)

The thing about lower end samsung waves or galaxys is the build quality and no android 2.2 :)

Hey, same question from me. Is the ACE able to play divx/avi files? And, how is the gaming experience (Gameloft games, as most of them are the most resource hungry)?

Also, since its android, cant we install some avi/divx codec/package that lets us play these videos? I mean, even if the device does not have out of the box support for avi, is there no way that these files can be played by installing/rooting something?
I am open to root my phone. I am kinda decided on ACE, but I want thse two things answered first... Thanks

With lower ram (284mb) on ACE I doubt Gaming experience will be any better than Optimus One. The Processor is tad faster than of Optimus One. The display of Ace will be better with the 16M colour. But lower internal memory & almost half the RAM (compared to O1) can be an issue as both the devices use Adreno 200 GPU (HTC Legend has the same). Being a fresh O1 owner you might think I am obsessed but I made my choice after a lot of research. I am not saying Ace is bad or Optimus One is better, I am saying that both are almost the same & if you consider the price O1 is the winner whereas considering the 5MP Camera with flash, Ace is the winner; the 800MHz processor is not a biggie with such low RAM. Here's a comparison.

Samsung Galaxy Ace (S5830) VS LG Optimus One (P500)

At least we know about Pros & Cons of Optimus One as it has been in Indian market for 5 Months. Best thing would be to hold you horses & wait for some legitimate reviews. Newer devices always attract more but then they are also unexplored.

Hey thanks for replying buddy.

Actually, I find Optimus one less attractive to look at when compared to ace. Its not a big deal for some people, but for some reason it is for me. HOWEVER, I can consider buying this phone IF the processor can be overclocked to ace levels. They have the same proccy, with ACE having it factory overclocked. Is there any way, I can overclock it at home... Again, rooting, fiddling with the firmware etc. are not an issue with me...

atiamd said:
Hey thanks for replying buddy.

Actually, I find Optimus one less attractive to look at when compared to ace. Its not a big deal for some people, but for some reason it is for me. HOWEVER, I can consider buying this phone IF the processor can be overclocked to ace levels. They have the same proccy, with ACE having it factory overclocked. Is there any way, I can overclock it at home... Again, rooting, fiddling with the firmware etc. are not an issue with me...
You can overclock the proccy of the Dell XCD35. Check out the Modaco forums for the Zte blade/Orange San francisco - ZTE Blade - Blade.MoDaCo.com - Android @ MoDaCo

But of course rooting will void your warranty, but im sure you know that. In any case i feel its the best midrange phone to go for purely because of the resolution. WVGA >>> HVGA

gsmarena claims ace has 278mb of usable ram. which isnt that good frankly.
Angry Birds doesnt work on any android phones as long as I know, as Rovio themselves admitted that android has a fragmenting issue which affects the game. They might have upgraded the game or something, but I don't know about that.
My friend owns an Optimus One. It worked like a charm, but then he upgraded it (from 2.2 to 2.3 i think), and now he complains that the fone is gone nuts. Time goes forward or backward by like 15mins, battery lasts for 5 mins, fone switches off while using etc. He claims all this happened after upgrading the Optimus One. So make sure that this problem happened to his fone only and it doesnt happen to all Optimuses. If not you should go for the Optimus one. Also gsmarena said ace gives very bad video quality as it gives QVGA@15fps compares to Optimus giving VGA@18fps. Also ace has not DivX/Xvid support. Which means either look for maybe a Klite codec pack for android or go for optimus one.
Since ace is fairly new, I think you should wait a few more days until someone else buys it and see how it is.

I purchased an LGOp1 immediately when it got released. The down sides on the LG Optimus one was

- No hardware DPad - You need to develop/purchase a keyboard which has a soft d-pad - believe me editing text is PIA
- No Camera flash - if you're the shoot-everything-i-see types, you may not like it.
- Bloatware pre-installed - Oh common, who uses an "Infact Vaccine Tracker", even if some one wants they can download it from the market (stupid LG).

It's a good phone with a decent screen resolution (most people crib about the HTC Wildfire, because it won't run apps because of low resolution - QVGA). Don't purchase a QVGA phone (most apps won't run on them).

And regarding Samsung phones, I wouldn't purchase any product from them (like ever) - It's got the dumbest product strategy ever (disagree with me? read what happened to Samsung Galaxy Spica). They've got a bad history of not upgrading Android OS although the hardware is pretty compatible.

Okay, so I bought the ace today for 15K from Inorbit, Vashi. Got a bluetooth handsfree free with it.. :)

Usable RAM in 278 MB. After clearing RAM, it says 100MB/278MB in use. I havent installed any games yet, but I will soon and let you guys know. Can somebody with LG optimus one, and motorola defy post this from their phones, please? (Task manager>RAM)

Now, how do I play divx videos on this thing? Any workaround? Do you think Rooting it to normal android 2.2 will do it (I know warranty void etc. etc.)?... And, personally I dont care for video quality shot from the phone. For me its not a big deal... But its just me... Pictures are good so far with normal ambient lighting....

anaghdesai said:
Angry Birds doesnt work on any android phones as long as I know, as Rovio themselves admitted that android has a fragmenting issue which affects the game. They might have upgraded the game or something, but I don't know about that.

The Android version of Angry Birds was released a long time ago .

Back