Car & Bike Formula 1 2016 Discussion thread

Good race, never seen so many people cheer two cars crash out :D sad that the Ferrari's couldn't capitalize on this opportunity and Alonso's DNF

I too hate the Indian telecast of the F1 races. No pitwalks no track interviews no press conferences :(
Its all so boring. Mainly I miss Ted Kravitz... Karun is not that interesting to listen. And you can hear him slurping when he is talking even on the pit commentary :p
Star has got 6 channels in India now 1-4 + 2 service channels. I dont know why they cant give more time slots to F1.
I think downloading and watching the UK telecast of Sky or BBC would be the only option then....

Next Race is Monaco. Imagine if Redbull are able to start on the first row and reach the podiums.... The entire team will celebrate at their pool. Its been a while they have had a celebration dip there.

A very nice video analysis of the crash. This makes everything clear. Still seems to me that it was Rosberg's fault. Dont know if he knew he was on wrong setting or he delayed changing the setting till the moment he gained advantage over Lewis and then decided to change it back to normal race setting.
http://www.formula1.com/content/fom...sing_Hamilton_and_Rosberg's_Turn_4_clash.html

Last edited:
Great strategy from Mercedes, poor pit crew performance from red bull. That single pit stop cost them the race.

It wasn't great strategy by Mercedes but Red Bull's suicidal pit performance that handed Lewis the victory. I also feel he cut the corner and then slammed the door close on Daniel too hard nearly causing Daniel to crash. Had it been Lewis as the pursuer I am sure he would be bone head enough to crash into the car in front and cry foul play.

It wasn't great strategy by Mercedes but Red Bull's suicidal pit performance that handed Lewis the victory. I also feel he cut the corner and then slammed the door close on Daniel too hard nearly causing Daniel to crash. Had it been Lewis as the pursuer I am sure he would be bone head enough to crash into the car in front and cry foul play.
+1. Also it was not the first time he cut that corner. A few laps before he did the same.
Max Vers. Is just as good and aggressive as he was in Monaco last year. I loved his brilliant overtakes last and year and he did same this year. Sad that he crashed out ...
Vettel also missed the podium by a very slight delay in the pitstop. Not acceptable on tracks like Monaco.... The rain gods also favored Lewis. He seemed too humble after winning yday. He is not that humble always.... He has realized how much he had to struggle and long for this victory. Not to mention all the mishaps and DNFs where he hardly could do anything....
Few other drivers too seemed to have brain farts yday.... The two renaults had contact and Toro Rosso blocked by some car.... quite some drama going on the track through out the race....

Reality shows these days are as real as Rakhit Sawant.

Formula One knows about the diminishing interest and has been trying to do to get audience back. 2008 Singapore a very well thought out plan was hatched and after a lot of brainstorming a crash took place and had someone not squealed we would have never known.

This year the races have been somewhat interesting with someone always being out of position and coming into picture at some point. Teams have fumbled on strategies, pit stops, shambolic qualifyings etc.,

At this level with all the investment you wouldn't think this wouldn't happen and may be it isn't but I can't shake that feeling because F1 is all about money and sponsors and their money is very important but sponsors want exposure, viewers are the exposure but viewership is said to be dropping and now thanks to one thing or the another despite having one clear better team we get races that are somewhat interesting and have viewers tuning in.

On another note

A lot of people are fans of Kimi including me but the dialogue from The Dark Knight - "You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain." is somewhat applicable here,

Back in 2003 we saw him as the new blood along with the likes of Montoya who would challenge Schumacher and he really was great in any condition. Always on the limit and quick but now he despite doing an okay job this year is not really up there with Vettel, if Vettel was trailing Kimi before it was not because Kimi out drove him but because of Vettel's bad luck. The last 2 races he has been awful and hope he does better but at the end of the season retires with dignity unless he can come back next year as vintage Kimi.

2003/2005/2006/2007/2009/2012/2013 - The years we saw the best of Kimi. If you are wondering why I said 2009 then let me explain - till Massa's accident they were focused on him but post and doing stuff like putting full weather wet tyres before it rains on Kimi's car but post accident and Luca proving himself to be a village idiot they supported Kimi and he really dragged the car to places were the car shouldn't have been.

A good race. Star player would be Sergio Perez, wonderful showcase of talent.
The commentary was as usual boring, all in favour of Lewis. Nico had a genuine pace last week, and i believe he would be on pole immaterial of whatever happened to Lewis. Glad to see Nico comeback :) Title race is on.

Kimi, lost his charisma and i hope he will get his rhythm back. I still remember his McLaren days

That was a fun end of the race. Props to hamilton for winning inspite of nico's overenthuasism. But at least nico is showing that he is not going to be a pushover this year.

Amazing Race. I wanted Nico to win though, Hamilton had a fortune in that crash, the same think like Nico may have happened to him as well

"Brainless" drive - Well said by Wolf

Sorry for not posting anything here for a while.

2 back to back races and now the lull of summer break. There's a lot more to post here and will do so gradually.

Been a while since I posted anything here.

A lot has happened and this year racing has been good. Introducing the 3rd tyre choice was a really good move and keeps me guessing for a while as to how cards will play out.

A few updates over the last few months -

Ferrari's James Allison has left following his wife's death and he wants to stay closer to home to look after his kids which is not possible with Ferrari. This is bad news for Ferrari because Ferrari was going south before James came onboard and you can see the effect he had. Not to mention it has been going on for a while and you can see it's effects already on Ferrari as they have slipped back and Red Bull is now ahead of them and I think they will stay ahead. Ferrari had reliability issues at the start of the season, horrible strategy calls and a few driver errors which have lead to them not capitalizing on the advantage they had over Red Bull and Red Bull barely make mistakes par the Daniel incident in Monaco.

Talking about Red Bull I never rated Kvyat very highly and he is on his way out, he did get a podium but felt like a journey man driver. He needed a bad day on Daniel's part to shine and when he shone it never was bright enough. Pushing Max up the rank has fixed the only flaw Red Bull had which was Kvyat being inconsistent and not able to keep up or mount a true challenge to Daniel thus loosing points to rivals. With Max onboard not only have they plugged the leak but also surged ahead of Ferrari and I think with James leaving Ferrari and the improvement in Renault engine I think they will stay ahead of Ferrari. As for Kvyat he is slated to leave Toro Rosso at the end of this year. He was lucky to have got the RB seat in the first place if you remember that they had declared that they won't be resigning Vergne and he was the only existing driver in TR that could be moved to RB after Vettel declared his move to Ferrari. Red Bull don't buy out drivers and don't let drivers skip the F1 examination in the form of Toro Rosso performance evaluation. So Kvyat was lucky in a sense but he has now been proved to be mentally weak the way he has crumbled and lacking considering his performance against Sainz.

Haryanto too is another driver who is on his way out but it was known to all that his drive was limited but he didn't do very shabbily compared to his much touted team mate.

2017 will see a lot of things change and here's the fun part. Renault have said that they will now focus on 2017 campaign (no surprise considering how bad their chassis is compared to Red Bull. Same engine but huge difference in performance). The team is based in Enstone and James Allison is available. Will that mark a return to form for Renault? Also the restrictive engine token system will be thrown into bin. Will that make McLaren a serious contender again? With Ferrari still restructuring and loss of James Allison. Will this mark Ferrari's return to mediocrity? Questions only time will answer.

Back