Help with HP recovery manager.

sam9953

Adept
Now that i have bought G6 2005ax I wish to make a partition for installing windows 8 in my laptop when it arrives but I am scarred to do anything with the partition because I don't want to delete HP Recovery Manager.

I am even not able to take a backup of the recovery manager because I don't have a 32 GB pen drive I just have 16 GB and neither do I have enough DVD.
So is there anyway that I can squeeze the nearly 18 GB data for the Recovery into my 16GB Flash drive?

Any experience with this software guys. Need your help, this can save me from buying a new flash drive.

Thats what I was thinking of doing but I don't have enough DVD's neither do I have a 32GB flash drive. Plus it does not allow to make the recovery copy in hard disk.

Why do you want to back up the recovery partition ? Just create another partition and install win 8 on it, it won't affect recovery partition any way. (unless you touch it)

I want to do so because incase anything goes wrong while making a new partition, then I will still have the recovery software. I am not very good at this partition stuff, can somebody guide me or give me some link where I can see steps to make partition without touching thee recovery partition.

Don't try to install another OS without making a backup or recovery discs. It would mess up the MBR and you won't be able to boot from that recovery partition in future. Which would make recovery partition a useless thing.

@JuGGa dude, obviously I could have googled it up but my problem is slightly specific to the HP G6 2005AX as there are some partitioning issues on this laptop,
It always creates dynamic disks.
@ivhere I think taking a recovery backup is going to be my last option because neither do I have a 32 GB flash drive right now nor do I want to waste that one chance you get to make the back up.
Tell me one thing, creating a system image and creating a system repair disc, will these two things be of any use incase I want to bring back my old partition with HP recovery partion in it, because I can get these two done with my current storage devices.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not tried it on my laptop since I was deleted the recovery partition of first day after my dv6 laptop purchase and done a clean install with windows 7 DVD.

But I have found some thing for you in HP website.
Types of recovery:

Your computer might have three types of System Recovery available, or it might have only two. Use the recovery type that resolves your issue without making more changes than necessary.

• System Recovery: This option reformats the system drive (usually C drive, reinstalls the original operating system, and reinstalls all the original hardware drivers and software. System Recovery does not impact user created partitions. If there are two hard drives, System Recovery modifies only the drive with the operating system.
    warning.png
    WARNING:If the size of the OS partition (usually C drive was reduced below a minimum size requirement, other user created partitions will be removed and stored data will be destroyed.
  • Factory Reset: Factory Reset removes all partitions, reformats the entire hard drive, reinstalls the original operating system, and reinstalls all the original hardware drivers and software. This option also recreates the required Recovery partition (usually D drive and UEFI partition (usually E drive and reinstalls the required software.
    The Factory Reset option returns all of the notebook's software to the condition it was in at the time of purchase. All user changes or additions are removed.
  • Minimized Image Recovery: Available on many of HP's notebook computers, the Minimized Image Recovery removes all partitions, reformats the entire hard drive, reinstalls the original operating system and hardware drivers, and reinstalls HP essential software (such as HP Support Assistant and HP Recovery Manager). Minimized Image Recovery does not reinstall the trial applications and games.
Read more here: Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 7) - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

Don't try to install another OS without making a backup or recovery discs. It would mess up the MBR and you won't be able to boot from that recovery partition in future. Which would make recovery partition a useless thing.

Completely false. You can always use recovery irrespective of the OS you install.

@JuGGa dude, obviously I could have googled it up but my problem is slightly specific to the HP G6 2005AX as there are some partitioning issues on this laptop,
It always creates dynamic disks.
I think taking a recovery backup is going to be my last option because neither do I have a 32 GB flash drive right now nor do I want to waste that one chance you get to make the back up.

Dynamic disk is created when you try to create more than 4 primary partitions. Nothing specific of 2005ax or may be I don't know.

Tell me one thing, creating a system image and creating a system repair disc, will these two things be of any use incase I want to bring back my old partition with HP recovery partion in it, because I can get these two done with my current storage devices.

It seems that laptop recovery concept is not clear to you. See, the main plus point of recovery partition provided by OEMs is that you can use it whenever you want, without the need of any recovery media. Just hit the right key and your system will boot into recovery mode and restore your laptop to factory condition. Further options include to restore only C:, or whole system in the state you bought it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Completely false. You can always use recovery irrespective of the OS you install.

It seems that laptop recovery concept is not clear to you. See, the main plus point of recovery partition provided by OEMs is that you can use it whenever you want, without the need of any recovery media. Just hit the right key and your system will boot into recovery mode and restore your laptop to factory condition. Further options include to restore only C:, or whole system in the state you bought it.
So if new OS installation process some how managed to change the MBR records and deletes the Boot records of recovery partition then how would the machine be able to boot from recovery partition?

IMO, Better Safe than sorry!

So if new OS installation process some how managed to change the MBR records and deletes the Boot records of recovery partition then how would the machine be able to boot from recovery partition?

IMO, Better Safe than sorry!

That'd only happen if you try to tinker with recovery partition. And you shouldn't be so sceptic, everything will be just fine. :)

PS: If you go on think like this, then you should see Final destination series, you'll get to know what can actually happen :p

These are not just my doubts, I am telling it with my experience. Some years ago I was tried to install XP on my Lenovo Laptop and my Laptop was unable to boot from recovery partition after XP installation. After that I was tried hard to revive it but all in vain and finally I was deleted it to release some space in my HDD.:)

In my second laptop it was my first work to delete that recovery partition and done a fresh install.:lol:

These are not just my doubts, I am telling it with my experience. Some years ago I was tried to install XP on my Lenovo Laptop and my Laptop was unable to boot from recovery partition after XP installation. After that I was tried hard to revive it but all in vain and finally I was deleted it to release some space in my HDD.:)

In my second laptop it was my first work to delete that recovery partition and done a fresh install.:lol:

I can't pinpoint the issue by guessing, maybe there could be some issues with Lenovo. I can always access in my Vaio after installing 7 UL/Ubuntu.

Okay now let me tell you the whole thing, you are right, I get that dynamic disk thing because I already have four partitions: HP tools, system, C drive, Recovery.

Please now just tell me how to change this dynamic thing problem.

^You will need to format full HDD, otherwise there is a very very tricky method to convert it while not losing any data. I'd say, just format it.

^You will need to format full HDD, otherwise there is a very very tricky method to convert it while not losing any data. I'd say, just format it.
Oh my god, seems like this partitioning stuff if going to take away a lot of my study time. Buddy, can you do me a small favour. Please can you guide me as to how I can get this done after my exams are over. I will ping you on your PM, if thats okay with you.
Till then I am deserting this thread.

Oh my god, seems like this partitioning stuff if going to take away a lot of my study time. Buddy, can you do me a small favour. Please can you guide me as to how I can get this done after my exams are over. I will ping you on your PM, if thats okay with you.
Till then I am deserting this thread.

Converting dynamic to basic ?

Back