How to improve english communication skills

jaleel_sh

Disciple
Is there any software (paid or free) to improve English communication skills(voice chat between me and software)?
Or any other tips?

Why can't you try videos present in youtube? You can train yourself for accent and pronunciation. There are lot of communities in facebook/yahoo etc from non-english speaking countries. You can join such communities, add then in your chat and start interacting with them in english.
Hope this helps

Start thinking in English, and make sure you have the right phrases ready for typical situations. Eventually you will become a natural. Do try to speak in English throughout the day, and don't stop if you make a mistake, rectify on the next go.

Talk before a video camera for atleast 15 mins in a sitting. prepared speech or extempore, alone in a room. then review your recorded speech. note down the places where you get stuck, pronunciation mistakes, funny body language etc and try to consciously avoid those from the next sessions.

_

best way is to learn to speak English is to do it with your friends ..
It doesn't matter that you will stumble in the beginning...
But slowly, you will gain confidence and fluency...
No matter how many courses you do...
The confidence that you need will come only if you make it part of your day to day talking...

Here one professor is offering 15 day English speaking course, i am planning to join it around July once i get some time :)

will class classes will bring any change ?

One thing you have to understand is that there is a critical period in which learning languages tends to be easy and intuitive. Perhaps somewhere between the ages 1-4. After this, acquiring a new language becomes relatively difficult. You have to consciously exert effort to understand and interpret words, meanings, the context in which they are placed, grammar etc. This is irrespective of which language you're taking into consideration. So, many people do not achieve native fluency in a language if they start learning it late (though not necessarily).

This, of course, doesn't mean that you can't learn a new language. In fact, you can become very proficient in it if you set your mind to it. Just that it's harder.

To answer your question; think in English. When you write, write full words and sentences and pay attention to grammatical detail. Read a lot to improve your vocabulary. Speak English whenever possible and don't hesitate to ask for help when you need it.[DOUBLEPOST=1367360280][/DOUBLEPOST]
No,unless there are hot girls to impress

"Hot" girls who are impressed only and only because a guy speaks fluent English are morons.

1. Start reading English newspapers if you already haven’t. Especially the editorial sections. If you can get a copy of The Hindu, that would be the best start. When I used to be a kid, my dad insisted me on one section which used to be printed on Tuesdays - Know Your English (S. Upendran and another guy); he made me cut those sections and file it! Improved my vocabulary by leaps and bounds. Give it a shot.

2. This is going to be a bit hard but try telling your close friends/colleagues that you need to improve your spoken English, that you are going to converse in English for some time and that they should not mock you while you are at it. Sometimes they may as well correct you, if you make some mistakes. This will be a bit embarrassing initially but you will get the hang of it pretty quickly.

3. Internet - has unlimited resources to help you in your endeavor. Register over at the Word Reference forums - Link and go through the several threads. If you have a doubt, even the simplest of it - you can ask it there. I keep referring it from time to time. Bookmark some English dictionaries - the Oxford English Dictionary for starters. Google will throw TFD (The Free Dictionary) results if you search for something specific which is okay but sometimes a bit confusing. YouTube should have plenty of tutorials as well. I know a guy who learnt to play a guitar only using YouTube tutorials and a guitar. He is now a part of a local band down south, plays at pubs and earns a handful sum.

4. Download a few dictionary applications on your cellphone. If you come across something that’s new, these apps. will help you out. And while you are at it, keep a hard copy of a dictionary at home for reference.

5. Start watching a few English serials/movies with subtitles.

6. Get a membership at your local library and start reading some English novels after you’ve got a grasp of things. Begin with simpler 150-200 page ones. You will stumble across a lot of words that you may not have heard of before but that’s where the dictionaries would help.

Good luck! Improved communication does wonders in a lot of fields.

Watch English Movies and news regularly an you will start using the sentences and word better.

If you are now unable to understand the movies directly download the Local language copy and then view both of them. This helps. Trust me My English got better just because of watching movies. I might have seen at least 300 movies till now.

I will tell you what helped me, as even i couldn't converse in English few years back. Even though i could write decently, I couldn't converse that well. May be its all got to do with practice.
Further, I have seen a tendency with some people who could converse well in English. They were of the opinion that they were superior intellectually and culturally to people who couldn't speak well in English. They used to look down upon us, as if speaking English could be a measure of their intelligence or culture. ( Imbeciles :D )
Everything changed when i got humiliated on few occasions. The last one being some facilities employee, who commented on my English. That was the straw that broke the camels back. This was about 10-11 years back. I was in class 10th.

I started watching a lot of English movies on TV. There i picked up a lot of phrases and words. Tried understanding it from the context and using them in conversations. I also learned pronouncing the words correctly. For instance naive is to be pronounced as naa-ive and not nave.

Internet wasn't that prevalent at homes then. We could access net only in cyber cafes and frankly we couldn't afford it everyday. So I never took much help from internet.

Then I started to converse only in English at college with my friends. Though i never used to read a lot, I did have a habit of reading interesting articles in magazines or newspapers. Dictionary helped me in finding the meaning of words. Then I would frame some sentences using those words for practice, so that i don't forget the meaning.
Subsequently over few months i improved a lot.

Practice is the key to improvement, so speak a lot in English if you want to improve. Try picking new words and phrases and start using them. Even though you may be joked about in the beginning, you would get better with time.

P.S: Some of my friend are now of the opinion, that I always spoke English at home from childhood days (Angrezz :D) and that's why I can speak well :D

Further, I have seen a tendency with some people who could converse well in English. They were of the opinion that they were superior intellectually and culturally to people who couldn't speak well in English. They used to look down upon us, as if speaking English could be a measure of their intelligence or culture. ( Imbeciles :D )

It goes both ways. If you speak fluent English and you're among a bunch of non-English speakers in India, they tend to label you as arrogant and "posh" even if you are trying to be nice and are genuinely down to earth.

Also, some of my fluent English speaking female friends have experienced that their professors would tell them that they had no manners and some of their classmates would automatically assume that they were sluts. All because they could speak English well.

Being able to frame a coherent argument intimidates some people who can't.

Apart from The Think in English bit which I was told by a friend as a useful tactic to get the juices flowing when conversing, please never use "Myself" while introducing yourself or Pronounce Environment as NVronment or Lingerie as Lingereee. Cardinal sins. Try to speak in short sentences, not monosyllabic but short. Try to avoid words such as "Like" as fillers. Try to speak slowly instead of blabbering out too many words too quickly.

Think of yourself as Amitabh Bacchan when you speak, slowly but surely and in control. He has the right pace for both English and Hindi, always has. Don't be too loud like Sidhu or too much info to process in 20 seconds like Radio Jockeys.

Is there any software (paid or free) to improve English communication skills(voice chat between me and software)?
Or any other tips?

Depends, now good or bad you are in communication. Can you give us some more pointers on your levels. Can you have a conversation purely in English, say discussing Iron Man 3. The brevity is important. There are various tools and methods to become better. Let us know.

Back