How will you handle your old age parent’s hospitalization charges?

As many people know old ppl get ill and die(sorry for speaking the harsh reality). One of my relatives paid a whooping 14L to hospitalize their elder in the ICU only to find him dead a day after he arrived home from the hospital. Unless your parents worked for the central government and have a CGHS card or you are very wealthy, it will be extremely hard for you to handle their hospitalization expenses unless you plan on admitting your parents to some government hospital with low level treatment facilities. So what do you think is the right method?

Mediclaim is your answer.
Having a mediclaim as early as possible..

This has helped me father soo far for 24 to 26 Lakhs in last 10-15 years of hospitalization.
For his accidents, anglioplasty, knee operation and illness.

My mom expired on July 4th 2019 @ Hinduja Hospital, Mahim, Mumbai. Check the video. I dont know what to say in english but i felt bad the way they take patients for checkup with ventilator in their mouth which my mom had and jab who log lift se bahar nikalte hai bed ko patient k saath it makes noise bcoz lift or samne k floor ka darti me thoda farak hai. So patient k mouth me 2 bade ventilator pipes unpe zaroor effect hota hoga na. U can hear the sound. Check out the video footage. It seems video footage not getting uploaded how should I, I dont know

My mom expired on July 4th 2019 @ Hinduja Hospital, Mahim, Mumbai. Check the video. I dont know what to say in english but i felt bad the way they take patients for checkup with ventilator in their mouth which my mom had and jab who log lift se bahar nikalte hai bed ko patient k saath it makes noise bcoz lift or samne k floor ka darti me thoda farak hai. So patient k mouth me 2 bade ventilator pipes unpe zaroor effect hota hoga na. U can hear the sound. Check out the video footage. It seems video footage not getting uploaded how should I, I dont know
I am sorry for your loss.

But I am unable get what you are trying to convey in rest of the msg. Could you rephrase ?
If you are trying to upload any video, you might try uploading to Youtube and sharing the link here.

-On the insurance topic : I am working in IT and till now relying on company provided health insurance (which some part of the premium is paid by the org, rest deducted from salary).
What people recommend - should I have some policy of my own (other than company's) ? For self & parents?

I am sorry for your loss.

But I am unable get what you are trying to convey in rest of the msg. Could you rephrase ?
If you are trying to upload any video, you might try uploading to Youtube and sharing the link here.

-On the insurance topic : I am working in IT and till now relying on company provided health insurance (which some part of the premium is paid by the org, rest deducted from salary).
What people recommend - should I have some policy of my own (other than company's) ? For self & parents?
Replying underlined part 1:
Why do we require to post a social media link to make believe such things ?
Whom does these social media belongs to ?? INDIA ,if not. Out of question !
But many companies funded from outside sources. !!!!!

Point being, get directly to the Indian Authority in charge of same !!!
Rather then social media, (are they Indians ??)

End of the day, we are elasticizing the topic, as per OP's requirement...

My mother requires open heart surgery for heart valve replacement, she does not have medical insurance, it will be a hefty bill, I had applied for PNB group insurance for her three years back but there after submitting the docs and cheque for premium there was no response from them.

My mother requires open heart surgery for heart valve replacement, she does not have medical insurance, it will be a hefty bill, I had applied for PNB group insurance for her three years back but there after submitting the docs and cheque for premium there was no response from them.
I applied through PNB by opening a savings account. And I received my mom's, dad's, and my own mediclaim card. It's a very easy process afaik

Haven't they returned the premium yet.
They would have called you for getting standard tests done. In my case, LIC got the tests done for my mother and then refused insurance because the stupid doctor at the test centre said there was chance of heart blockage, when there weren't any, based on treadmill test. They returned the amount after deducting charges for the test.
You should try and get at least the govt insurance which provides a small cover. I doubt any insurance company will provide cover already knowing the medical status. Your best bet would be to get the operation done from a reputed government hospital. You can also choose the option of cheaper valves as govt has standardized rates for heart valves which start from as low as 25k, last I heard.

Haven't they returned the premium yet.
They would have called you for getting standard tests done. In my case, LIC got the tests done for my mother and then refused insurance because the stupid doctor at the test centre said there was chance of heart blockage, when there weren't any, based on treadmill test. They returned the amount after deducting charges for the test.
You should try and get at least the govt insurance which provides a small cover. I doubt any insurance company will provide cover already knowing the medical status. Your best bet would be to get the operation done from a reputed government hospital. You can also choose the option of cheaper valves as govt has standardized rates for heart valves which start from as low as 25k, last I heard.

LIC? Why not Mediclaim? I didn't have to go under any checks, neither my mom nor my dad. They just took the money and provided medical cards and insurance papers. How is this possible that it happened with you? Unless ofc you told them about your mother's medical condition yourself? I didn't even have to say to the bank that I'm a chain smoker and might have lung cancer in the future, and they will have have to pay for the treatment. Weird. Always try to play it smartly without revealing more about yourself

Last edited:
LIC? Why not Mediclaim? I didn't have to go under any checks, neither my mom nor my dad. They just took the money and provided medical cards and insurance papers. How is this possible that it happened with you? Unless ofc you told them about your mother's medical condition yourself? I didn't even have to say to the bank that I'm a chain smoker and might have lung cancer in the future, and they will have have to pay for the treatment. Weird. Always try to play it smartly without revealing more about yourself
What is Mediclaim and who is providing that?
If you are talking about PNB, then they are providing insurance via Oriental Insurance. And how can your parents be covered under the group insurance scheme aa they are only showing children as dependents, or did you take individual policies for everyone.

Also, did you not fill out the forms yourself. They would clearly ask whether you are a smoker, diabetic, or suffering from any other disease. If you lie on the form, they will very easily deny your claim in the future.

My case was for a term insurance under which usually everyone has to go for these tests as it is life insurance. My mom is already covered thanks to my dad's employer providing lifetime medical cover.

If you are talking about PNB, then they are providing insurance via Oriental Insurance. And how can your parents be covered under the group insurance scheme aa they are only showing children as dependents, or did you take individual policies for everyone.

Also, did you not fill out the forms yourself. They would clearly ask whether you are a smoker, diabetic, or suffering from any other disease. If you lie on the form, they will very easily deny your claim in the future.

My case was for a term insurance under which usually everyone has to go for these tests as it is life insurance. My mom is already covered thanks to my dad's employer providing lifetime medical cover.

So they can know whether you are smoker or not? Seriously bro? What will they do? Check your lungs or inner throat for signs of carcinogens while claiming insurance? And no, I didn't fill out any forms myself, and I wasn't asked if I'm smoker or not as I didn't visit anyway, but got medical cards issued in the name of me, my dad, my mom. If that alone is possible to say the least, then claiming is also 110% possible

So they can know whether you are smoker or not? Seriously bro? What will they do? Check your lungs or inner throat for signs of carcinogens while claiming insurance? And no, I didn't fill out any forms myself, and I wasn't asked if I'm smoker or not as I didn't visit anyway, but got medical cards issued in the name of me, my dad, my mom. If that alone is possible to say the least, then claiming is also 110% possible
Do some research first.
Whenever you make a claim, the first thing a company does is put an agent to work trying to find reasons to deny the claim. And they nearly always will start from your application form and try to find lies on it, to deny your claim. If you are making claims for lung cancer and have claimed you are not a smoker, they will easily deny the claim, because the doctor will easily confirm your lung cancer is because of smoking.
Also, always fill your forms yourself. The insurance agent at the bank is only interested in making a sale and he won't even blink an eye telling lies on your behalf, but you will be the one to bear the brunt later on.

What about your wife? Did you not get her the medical insurance?

Back