i-phone crushed !

Channu

Adept
Day before yesterday i left Delhi on bike with 6 other friends of mine for an Agra n Fathehpur trip. After driving whole night n day while returning my friend grew tired and gulped down 4 beers while sitting pillion and took the i-phone for music. While we were cruising the highway at speeds greater than 100kmph, suddenly my friend bent down and guess what ??

The i-phone fell out from his pocket and banged on the road.......:S but as soon as we realised it, we just stopped and u-turned on highway avoiding two collisions and we saw the phone lying safe n sound but before we could reach it a truck came grunting at over a 100kmph and crushed it beneath its wheels in front of our very own eyes !!!!

Now all that remains is memories...... Oops.... sorry, thoda zyaada senti ho gaya :p

Actually believe it or not, the phone is working perfectly and also its touch screen is working but the whole outer glass is shattered.
Now when i took it to apple world they refuse to repair it as its a unlocked 2G, and they said w/o proper bill they wont. The other people whom i talked to, said that screen and glass are 1 unit and just the glass cant be replaced alone and they are asking 10,800-11,000 for screen replacement !

Now i'm stoned, what to do now ?
EDIT : Ye hai meri Kahaani :(

Sad indeed.:(

But AFAIK the screen and outer glass are separate units. If the screen is fine u don't need to worry much about it, the outer glass costs around $15-20.

Just find some skilled technician to do this or you may try it yourself too, lots of guides available on internet.

Btw post some pics of the new icrush:p

Hmmm... 10-11k that's outrageous. AFAIK, someone I knew got his touchscreen repaired at 8k, from Heera-Panna in Mumbai. I know it's just a difference of 2-3k, but a difference nevertheless.

If any of your friends are visiting Mumbai, I suggest you get it done from here. If not, I think you'll have to spend that much to get it repaired.

And yes.. like Alchemist said, do post some pics of your iCrush. :)

The Alchemist said:
Sad indeed.:(

But AFAIK the screen and outer glass are separate units. If the screen is fine u don't need to worry much about it, the outer glass costs around $15-20.

Just find some skilled technician to do this or you may try it yourself too, lots of guides available on internet.

Btw post some pics of the new icrush:p

In the first gen iphone, the protective outer glass and the LCD are fused together. So the replacement is expensive, to the tune of Rs. 8 to 10k depending on the place. One of my friends got his fixed for 8k in Mumbai, ghatkopar.

On ifixit.com its 250 $ plus shipping to India.

Only in the iphone 3g its separate.

Before you spend anything on getting it fixed, I'd strongly suggest you test it throughly, cause there could be internal issues and your repair money will go down the drain.

Do post some close up pics if you can.

omg thats sad news, especially watching your iphone getting crushed under a truck. what a sight that must have been.

as Anish said, check the iphone thoroughly.

please do post some pics.

first of all never risk ur life for something as immaterial as a phone, secondly if the touch screen is working properly and only the outer screen is shatterd then u are in luck,cause there are some tutorials on the net to change the plastic

WTF??

You took a U turn on that highway for an iphone?? are you nuts or what??

Just be happy that you were not in the place of that iphone..Seeing your stupidity your're damn lucky to be alive!!!

Welcome to the world of unlocked and grey market phones. You can either pay more than this amount to apple to get it fixed (slim chance), or try your luck with the modded repairs the unofficial channels might offer.

BTW, instead of taking a u-Turn, couldn't you have pulled over, and walked your way back to your phone?

we just stopped and u-turned on highway avoiding two collisions

Not only did you put yourself at risk (acceptable), but also put others at risk (unacceptable) for just a phone

that's not stupidity, that's criminal

you guys could have pulled over and one of you could have walked back

anyway, I searched around quite a bit for a friend's (as well as a fellow forum members' ) dead digitizer replacement in the US

the digitizer + screen + glass is indeed a single composite unit

the best rate I found was $170 X 2 ... normal rates are ~200

try see if you can source a replacement phone as there would be other coincidental damages too

try getting a refurbished iphone from somewhere. your icrush might work now but if some circuit inside is broken it will fail after some weeks or months.

I'm sorry for all the momental ruckus i created on the highway but it was all on instinct and to top it all the reason was that i-phone was just 4 days old. Also we were in lane besides divider so crossing the road was not possible at that moment.

Will post the pics of i-crush today after my friend returns it who has taken it to gaffar for repair estimates while i'll be checking on links given by u all but what i think is that it wont be possible for the glass to be replaced as, first its totally crushed so separating it from screen mi8 not be a possibility and second, everywhere i read that its a unit fused together.

Back