Iphone firmware update questions

Checksum

Skilled
So i got a new iphone thanks to rajshah :) i'm in a tricky situation where i won't have access to internet at all. So how do i update my iphone and jailbreak it ? Here is what i already have on my macbook:

1. Redsn0w 0.8 mac
2. Itunes 8.2(obviously)
3. Iphone firmware 3.0 (ipsw file)

Unfortunately my dad cannot even connect the iphone to the mac and update it. As a matter of fact its still lying unopened. So my questions are :

1. Do i necessarily have to update the iphone software via itunes before attempting the jailbreak (assuming its not running 3.0)
2. Since i have the ipsw file is there any why that i can make itunes use it instead of searching it off the internet ?

Any pointers/options welcome ! Thanks

yes you can.

Press Shift + Restore button in itunes. and locate the 3.0 firmware that you have on you HDD and let the itunes restore the firmware to 3.0

then in redsnow point out the 3.0 firmware

Tick cydia and unlock option.

and you are done with unlocked jailbroken iphone.

I also did the same thing on my iPod Touch on Monday... jailbroke it properly... You have to get the iPod in the DFU mode; Since I dont have the iPhone cannot comment on that but the iPod is working fine :D have to sync up songs on it tho :ashamed: dint get time since :bleh:

ATLEAST FOR ONCE .................

You can download the latest apps from HERE

You can try THIS and THIS to manage music and transfer between pc and iphone, but you'll still require iTunes for installing apps and stuff.

If u r interested in upgrading to firmware 3 or above then follow this ...

Download the right firmware from HERE however the latest firmware they have is 3.0, whereas 3.0.1 is already out so if u want to download this then download it from HERE

Then jailbreak using THIS guide
To install apps first you have to add HACKULOUS Repo to Cydia

Then search for 'AppSync for OS 3.0 or above' in cydia and install it.

Now you can download any app from HERE or HERE and install it through iTunes

To install paid cydia apps for free go to xsellize and register, then add their repo in this format : cydia.xsellize.com/username-password

Need some help please. I did the jailbreak and unlock on the iphone 2g. I would like to connect to sprint. Can someone tell me how? Please keep in mind that I am somewhat technical, but not completely so explain step by step.
Thanks!

I have a new Iphone 3gs.... and i need to unlock it..... please can anyone help me.. ???
just show me the text files and software and the method to do it n ill do it..

w8in for ur reply DESPERATELY tnx in advance.

campbell said:
If this was in response to how to connect to sprint, I still don't see it on there. Can you point me more to some direct instructions. There were so many on there, but I couldn't find out how to connect to the network after doing the unlock and jailbreak.

Thanks

Please be a bit more precise. What exactly are you looking for ?
Also post Your iPhone model / Firmware details.

campbell. after unlocking if you have simcard in your iphone. you should get the signal instantly if unlock method followed properly.

post some more details as suggested by Raj.

campbell said:
If this was in response to how to connect to sprint, I still don't see it on there. Can you point me more to some direct instructions. There were so many on there, but I couldn't find out how to connect to the network after doing the unlock and jailbreak.

Thanks

Just follow the jailbreak and unlock tutorial on the site posted above , once unlocked you'll be able to connect to any network, including sprint :)

thexfactor said:
Just follow the jailbreak and unlock tutorial on the site posted above , once unlocked you'll be able to connect to any network, including sprint :)

I don't have a sim card, and sprint doesn't use sim cards. I used ziphone to unlock/jailbreak.

I don't know how to connect...there is no network availability.

cisco_tech said:
campbell. after unlocking if you have simcard in your iphone. you should get the signal instantly if unlock method followed properly.
post some more details as suggested by Raj.

I do not have a sim card. The sprint network doesn't use sim cards, I was told I didn't have to have one. The person I purchased the phone from kept his At&t sim card.

I used ziphone to unlock/jailbreak. It showed that it had completed.

When I go into cydia in packages it shows version 3.0

On the first screen in cydia it says "unable to load" no internet connection"

It also shows Debian Pacager version 1.14 25-9

I'm not completely technical...so work with me please. :)

rajshah said:
Please be a bit more precise. What exactly are you looking for ?
Also post Your iPhone model / Firmware details.

The model is the 2g. I am looking to connect to sprint, which is not a GSM network.

I do not have a sim card. The sprint network doesn't use sim cards, I was told I didn't have to have one. The person I purchased the phone from kept his At&t sim card.

I used ziphone to unlock/jailbreak. It showed that it had completed.

When I go into cydia in packages it shows version 3.0

On the first screen in cydia it says "unable to load" no internet connection"

It also shows Debian Pacager version 1.14 25-9

I'm not completely technical...so work with me please. :)

I was told by numerous people that once this unlock was completed it could be used on ANY network.
Can anyone help???? Please.......

campbell said:
I was told by numerous people that once this unlock was completed it could be used on ANY network.
Can anyone help???? Please.......

I guess they meant any GSM network ... this is the same reason why the palm pre has 2 different version one CDMA based (exclusively for sprint USA) and a GSM based version for the rest of the world.

iPhone only works on GSM networks like AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon etc

Here's a list of operators and the technology they use to provide cellular service ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mobile_network_operators_of_the_Americas#United_States

Back