Other Kobo Glo E-Book Reader Review

Mechanic

Skilled
Hi guys,
As some of you know, I've been on the lookout for a cheap but good quality e-reader for some time now.
So I finally took the plunge and bought a Kobo Glo Black from Ebay for 7k.

This is my pictorial review of the device after using it for a week. I hope this will help other prospective buyers make a decision. I promise I wouldn't blabber much at all and just let the pics do the talking :D

The Kobo Glo Box, smaller than I'd expected.
1 Box.jpg
2 Unbox.jpg

The Reader itself is quite small, I've added the pens as a reference of size
3 Size.jpg

The quilted, rubberized back cover feels premium but unfortunately is a grime and fingerprint magnet
4 Rubberised Back.jpg

The Bottom panel. The reset hole is beside the micro-usb slot.
5 Bottom.jpg

The Homescreen, I've taken the snap in a completely dark room.
6 Homescreen.jpg

7 Cover.jpg

Here's what it looks like when reading a book with Glo light turned off.
The screen is actually completely glareproof, the glare you are seeing is due to the default protective screen guard.
8 Without Glo.jpg

Here's how it looks when reading the same page in a completely dark room.
Glo light at 25%. The Glo light is very even all across the screen and I didn't notice any dark patches at all. Although the reviews say that the glowlight makes the text blueish, I didn't notice it myself.
9 Glo Darkroom.jpg

Here's where the light is coming from, notice the LEDs lined up at the bottom of the device?
Its marvellous that you can't actually see the source unless you are looking for it at this angle.
10 Glo source.jpg

The Text and font options are quite adequate.
10 Text Options.jpg

The font options
11 Varied Fonts.jpg

Running on the latest 3.8.0 firmware
12 version.jpg

A little chess game for when you're bored
13 Chess.jpg

14 Beta.jpg
15 Beta.jpg

The reader displays the cover of the book last read when it is turned off or at sleep mode.
16 Off.jpg

Reading with glo light off
a Book without Glo.jpg

Reading with glo light at 25%, ambient light normal.
b Book with Glo.jpg

Reading with Glo at 25% at completely dark room.
c Book with Glo Darkroom.jpg

Glolight at 100% at completely dark room.
d Maximum Brightness.jpg

Before I zeroed on the Kobo Glo, I'd been focussed on non frontlit and cheaper readers like the Nook Simple Touch and Kobo Touch as I felt the frontlight to not be a necessary feature.
However now that I am reading on the Kobo Glo, I never turn the frontlight/Glo off completely.
Even when I am reading in well lit environment or in the daytime, I keep the Glo level at 10-25%.
The background seems whiter and more closer to the feel of an actual book when the Glo/Frontlight is on.
And it seems dull and dreary like an old book when the light is off.
As such I'd recommend everyone who is on the market for an Ebook reader, to get one with Frontlight.
The experience is worth the premium you pay over the non lit ones.

The reviews I came across online said that the kobo glo is no match for the Kindle Paperwhite 1 due to its uneven backlight, texts becoming blueish when reading with the Glo light at full blast 100% . However the unit I've received isn't unevenly lit. I guess these issues were there when it was first released, but have been ironed out in later batches. The text does become greyish when reading with a full blast 100% and the light is extremely bright, however if you read at a more tame 25%, you wouldn't notice the discoloration. I've handled both Paperwhite 1 and Paperwhite 2 and their maximum 100% brightness is comparable to about 30% on the Kobo Glo.

The Neonode Infrared touch is not as responsive as capacitive touchscreens. Sometimes it does not register the user inputs , so if you are expecting snappy responses like a traditional Tablet, you'd have to lower your expectations.
The Page refresh and Page turn speeds vary a lot, sometimes it may be very snappy and sometimes it may be a bit slow, but not too slow thankfully.

The biggest issue with the Kobo Glo (and maybe all Pearl e ink devices) is the Ghosting. In the default settings the texts don't get rendered flawlessly, and remnants of the previous page stay on it. However I've countered it completely by setting it to refresh every page instead of every 6 pages.

The reader basically sips on power, I've read a full 400 page novel on it with Glo light at 20% and wifi off in the last 7 days, and the power levels have dropped from a 100% to 93%! But if I turn on WiFi and set it to sync with the desktop, then it would consume 5-6% of power in 5 minutes! Which is why I keep WiFi off at all times.

Overall my experience with this reader has been very favourable and as such I'd recommend this to anyone who is in the habit of reading novels.

P.s.
I am indebted to @AsidXxx without whose help I couldn't have made the purchase.

Last edited:
thanks for the review! a member of another forum is looking for an e-reader. i had suggested him to buy the Kobo Glo from the same seller from whom you purchased your product. i will now direct him to your review.

There's another reason to select Kobo Glo or any Kobo product like Aura, Aura HD , Aura H2O over Barnes and Noble or Amazon E Readers.
Kobo has been very consistent with supplying firmware updates for all its products from Touch upwards.
Kobo Glo which came out September 2012 has been receiving firmware updates almost every 2-3 months.
These firmware updates have ironed out many of the issues which were present at launch.

When I first connected the Glo to my PC, it automatically downloaded the version 3.3.0 April 2014 update, although version 3.5.0 (and 3.7.0) had already been released on May 2014, it wasn't rolled out to this batch.
On 22nd August 2014 Kobo rolled out the 3.8.0 firmware which again was not yet phased to my batch of Kobo Glo.
So on August 27th I manually downloaded the 3.8.0 firmware following the links of this thread on Mobileread
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185660
and manually updated my reader using a simple procedure.

Thanks for the review, can you please let us know how it handles PDF documents?
The Glo handles PDF documents quite well, I loaded Erwin Kreyszig's Advanced Engineering Mathematics(one of my favourites) on it.
The text and formulae are rendered quite crisply and the page turning speeds were not at all affected by its large size (40 MB).
But I can't set the reader to refresh every page while in a PDF, so there are evidences of Ghosting when you zoom in or out.

I'll take some pictures of the Glo with the PDF loaded and post it soon.

I had purchased the kobo touch in the month of may. And it has developed some scan lines on the screen. Btw how is the touch response of the glow.

I'm sorry i didn't get you, what do you mean by "rattling"?
if you mean if there is anything that seems loose inside, then no, mine doesn't feel that way.

Same thing i bought the device from croma via online.I got yesterday morning when I opened package it was rattling I called croma they told me to call Kobo and I did the same.Kobo customer people telling me that it is not their concern it is happened during transportation.Now the device freezes a lot i mean it freezes every 15-20 minutes.
I tried almost everything like updated to 3.8.0 and downgraded to 3.3.0 and even done full factory reset two times.I don't know what to do I have bought this via eBay.I have raised a claim but no one is responding.Is it possible for me to go for filing case against croma .
I have recordings of all my conversations and transcript and details of emails.

Please replay ASAP I need guidance

Same thing i bought the device from croma via online.I got yesterday morning when I opened package it was rattling I called croma they told me to call Kobo and I did the same.Kobo customer people telling me that it is not their concern it is happened during transportation.Now the device freezes a lot i mean it freezes every 15-20 minutes.
I tried almost everything like updated to 3.8.0 and downgraded to 3.3.0 and even done full factory reset two times.I don't know what to do I have bought this via eBay.I have raised a claim but no one is responding.Is it possible for me to go for filing case against croma .
I have recordings of all my conversations and transcript and details of emails.

Please replay ASAP I need guidance
If you are within 30 days of making the purchase from Chroma, you are within every right to ask Chroma for a replacement piece.
They cannot ask you to contact Kobo, if they do, then threaten them that you'd file a consumer grievance case against them.
Do not expect to be helped by Kobo as they don't have presence in India, and even in Canada their customer service is horrible.

Hey just got a Kobo Glo, was wondering whether you managed to get a case for this ?
No I haven't purchased a case.
I am although making a Do it yourself case out of a plastic cardboard type material (normally used to make signboards)
and a piece of old jeans , some fevicol and generous amount of wide sellotape.
Its gonna take me a day or two. Will post pics once done. :D

p.s.
Kobo Glo is available for 4.5k excluding coupons at ebay
I feel like banging my head :(

No I haven't purchased a case.
I am although making a Do it yourself case out of a plastic cardboard type material (normally used to make signboards)
and a piece of old jeans , some fevicol and generous amount of wide sellotape.
Its gonna take me a day or two. Will post pics once done. :D

p.s.
Kobo Glo is available for 4.5k excluding coupons at ebay
I feel like banging my head :(

Get this, I just ordered it.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Sleek-PU-Lea...e-/281427028064?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:IN:1123

Yes! I ordered the same too. And not regretting it.

@OP Thanks for the reco, went ahead and bought it myself :) Excellent device.

I went ahead and bought a Touch during sale on eBay for 3K. Planning to install Android 2.3 on it if needed. Might be springing for a Paperwhite as well for Kindle books - I have quite a lot now.

One thing you can do is that you can download those books on windows and use calibre bcoz android on 800 processor is like racing against Ferrari in today's world

One thing you can do is that you can download those books on windows and use calibre bcoz android on 800 processor is like racing against Ferrari in today's world

Not going to do that, will use the Touch for epubs then. Might sell it off too.

The only mistake I made was forgetting to use coupons while purchasing :facepalm:

Back