Looking for a good quality usb cable

Actually more than length it depends on the gauge of the wire inside. I forgot which gauge was better - 22 or 24!
The cables sold in India do not mention gauge anywhere(mostly). So pretty hard to buy a 3rd party cable.
Also it is better to keep it within 100cm.

Anker makes good quality cables. The Mi one is very good. I am very happy with its performance. The Anker cable that I had got frayed in 8-9 months. This one is still going strong since 13+ months
The anker i bought a while back is this one

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B012VWH6PQ

Today i notice a few differences. Smaller the number gauge thicker the cable is and that is what you want for power delivery

anker usb.jpg

It says 20/30 s0 20 for power and the other for data. Anker i bought couple years back was Rs.400 and was 24 for power so thinner and 28 for data. Only thing that matters for cable quality is the wire gauge. Anker used to sell fancier cables with cloth insulation and charge more but the wire gauge was still 24/28 so i went with the cheaper variant. What is good with anker is the ports used, generally hold tight and don't get lose over time.

The stock cable if you examine closely should indicate what the gauge used. Ones that come with my LG were 20/28

What does the Mi cable say for gauge used for power & data ?

Last edited:
The anker i bought a while back is this one

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B012VWH6PQ

Today i notice a few differences. Smaller the number gauge thicker the cable is and that is what you want for power delivery

View attachment 78457
It says 20/30 s0 20 for power and the other for data. Anker i bought couple years back was Rs.400 and was 24 for power so thinner and 28 for data. Only thing that matters for cable quality is the wire gauge. Anker used to sell fancier cables with cloth insulation and charge more but the wire gauge was still 24/28 so i went with the cheaper variant. What is good with anker is the ports used, generally hold tight and don't get lose over time.

The stock cable if you examine closely should indicate what the gauge used. Ones that come with my LG were 20/28

What does the Mi cable say for gauge used for power & data ?
Never seen the gauge marked on Mi cables. I have the USB power measurement device. Mi cables can easily supply 2A.
I don't have any QC supporting charger. So can't say if it supports current delivery of more than 2A.

I had Anker cables which were bought from the UK. The cable sheathing frayed after 1 year. But that happenned only for 1 cable out of 6. Not faced this issue in any Mi cable so far (I do wind up the cables carefully to minimise tension on the connector ends)

Dont wanna create a new thread but what I'm looking for is a:
  • Micro usb cable (USB 3 compatible)
  • 2 metre long (a must necessity)
  • with fast charging capabilities (obvious mandate)
  • vfm (no logic spending hefty just for a cable)
Also, it will be icing on the cake if the cable is USB 3 compatible so that when connected to a pc it will still charge fast (faster than usual USB 2 500ma)

I don't think USB3 works like that. It's the extra tab with connectors on the device end that supplies the additional power. If you use even a 'usb3 compatible' micro usb cable with a usb port, you will still get only 500mA charging. Which is why usb C was invented in the first place.

I may be totally wrong, somebody correct me if so...

Err, i don't think you understood it quite right. You will get more than 500mA if using a USB 3 cable. But there is no usb 3 cable that connects to a cellphone.[DOUBLEPOST=1548263116][/DOUBLEPOST]I.e. this cable: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00NH13G5A

You will get more than 500mA using this one. How you will connect it to a phone is another matter...

I don't think USB3 works like that. It's the extra tab with connectors on the device end that supplies the additional power. If you use even a 'usb3 compatible' micro usb cable with a usb port, you will still get only 500mA charging. Which is why usb C was invented in the first place.

I may be totally wrong, somebody correct me if so...
You're right but the standard has been completely ignored. With phones the same usb2 which puts out 500ma puts out more.

it's only in intel land where what you said holds. Stds were stds there until this infernal mobile industry screwed with it.

You're right but the standard has been completely ignored. With phones the same usb2 which puts out 500ma puts out more.

it's only in intel land where what you said holds. Stds were stds there until this infernal mobile industry screwed with it.

Not sure what you're talking about. More than 500mA from where?

I prefer slow charging and exclusively use 550mA and 750mA wall chargers. So i can confidently say my AMD mobo puts out about exactly 500mA based on the time taken to charge my phones vs the wall chargers.

I prefer slow charging and exclusively use 550mA and 750mA wall chargers. So i can confidently say my AMD mobo puts out about exactly 500mA based on the time taken to charge my phones vs the wall chargers.
USB3 supports power transfer more than 500mA. So from PC mobo you should be able to get more than 500mA for USB3 devices connected to it.

Here are my live findings using a charger doctor:

With Normal charging cable

In USB 2 port
upload_2019-1-24_16-56-7.png

In USB 3 port
upload_2019-1-24_16-57-6.png

With Fast charging cable

In USB 2 port

upload_2019-1-24_16-58-36.png

In USB 3 port

upload_2019-1-24_16-57-34.png

As seen there is a massive difference between these 2 cables when charging from USB 3 port.

In USB 2 port
View attachment 78467

In USB 3 port
View attachment 78468

With Fast charging cable

In USB 2 port

View attachment 78470

In USB 3 port

View attachment 78469

As seen there is a massive difference between these 2 cables when charging from USB 3 port.
Is your phone almost fully charged?
Otherwise I see no reason for the cable to restrict current to only 180mA.

In the last picture I can see 480mA. That is normal USB2 level current.

Discharge your phone quite a bit. If your battery charge level is more than 90%, the current consumption falls drastically.

USB3 supports power transfer more than 500mA. So from PC mobo you should be able to get more than 500mA for USB3 devices connected to it.

That's exactly what i'm saying. If you use a usb3 cable and a usb3 device you will get more than 500mA. But there are no usb3 to micro-usb cables, and phones are not usb3 devices.

In USB 2 port
View attachment 78467

In USB 3 port
View attachment 78468

With Fast charging cable

In USB 2 port

View attachment 78470

In USB 3 port

View attachment 78469

What exactly is this fast charging cable?

It's still running 0.48A which is 480mA. Which is the max speed a USB2 device can pull from a usb port. The normal cable seems to be extremely crap quality which is why it's only pulling 180mA. Or there could be other conditions like @hotshot05 mentioned.

I was thinking of getting a good charger too. Have the below one in mind.
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00FF4GBYA/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Had got it 5 years ago still going strong and its got a really long cable and charges almost all smartphones at amazing speed. Almost as good as samsung fast charger.
The cable quality is amazing.

Any recommendations for a good fast charger ?
This one is great. I have it too.
If large cord length isn't a requirement, then buy the Mi charger. I think it costs 549 if you include the cable. You can get the charger without cable too.

What exactly is this fast charging cable?

It's still running 0.48A which is 480mA. Which is the max speed a USB2 device can pull from a usb port. The normal cable seems to be extremely crap quality which is why it's only pulling 180mA. Or there could be other conditions like @hotshot05 mentioned.
Normal cable is 4yr old of my xperia z3 and it works great. Fast charging cable is just a yr old of Gionee phone.

Qualcom, oneplus etc

Course it does, PC's follow USB stds. Phones do not.

Qualcom, oneplus etc

Course it does, PC's follow USB stds. Phones do not.

I guess you missed the part where he's talking about getting more than 500mA using a PCs USB3 port.

Obviously fast chargers have higher current output...

I was thinking of getting a good charger too. Have the below one in mind.
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00FF4GBYA/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Had got it 5 years ago still going strong and its got a really long cable and charges almost all smartphones at amazing speed. Almost as good as samsung fast charger.
The cable quality is amazing.

Any recommendations for a good fast charger ?

Yes this charger is amazing. IIRC, Flipkart has similar model for 399; Sony CP2-AD2A/BCIN5

Back