PC Peripherals Need new HDD

superczar

Skilled
Umm...after 4 years of service, my old 40 gig finally decided to go to the land of no return where all dead PC components enjy their after life :(
Though I have another 80 gig, but unfortunatey, this was the primary HDD with the OS on it....:mad:
the 80 gig hardly has any space left so guess I will have to buy a new one....
The Mobo supports only regular ATA (Is it called PATA?)
so wht should I buy now? need it today, so quick help needed please? should I buy samsung or Seagate...also, any idea of the current prices?

I have way too many machines in my home right now....and more than enough storage space :)

Right now, I just need a basic HDD that can run the OS so I don't really need for the 250 gigs...

I was thinking of either a Seagate Barracuda (7200rpm) 80 GB or a Samsung 80GB 7200rpm...

any idea of the prices?

the 80 gig hardly has any space left

Hardly any space to install and run the OS is what I meant...

then i will suggest u for barracuda .... anyways both seagate and samsung are almost same on performance .....

Sorry, i didnt read that. Dont rate me as a spammer just for that ok.

Get another 40 GB then.... If your gonna use it only as a System Drive.

Otherwise get a 160 GB or something..

40 and 80 ...I think there is only a 200 Rs difference.....

Makes sense to go for the 80 ....

160Gig is almost double the price of the 80 and don't really need that space....

the incremental benefit is too little for the extra price paid

think 80 gig Seagate fits the bill...

80 GB Samsung/ATA/8mb Cache/ Rs.2700/- here in Bombay.

Some of my friends strongly reccomend me to Buy Samsung (same quality as Seagate ) loess noise than Seagate.

trip to Ritchie street today evening...will leave office early....the lonfger I delay this, the more the risk of data loss.....

Anyone interested in joining me?..long time since I went to Ritchie ....3 weeks ...OMFG :eek:hyeah:

A few days back when I bought the 160gb Hitachi Pata for 4050 I was quoted around 29??/- (cannot remember the exact price) for the 80gb Hitachi SATA drive.

I have been running a Hitachi 80gb PATA drive for about 2 years in an external USB case and this drive has been thru a lot of abuse and mishandling and I have not had any problem with it.... YET !! <<fingers crossed>>

IMHO the Hitachi drives are the ones to use amongst the current lot of drives. Every HDD manufacturer seems to have goot models and bad models and what I have gathered from the forums is that the current Hitachi T7K and 7K series drives rule - next is the WD Raptors then the Maxtor DM10 and Maxtor Maxline III after which comes the Seagates and Samsungs. The last lot of Seagates were reported to be good but not the current lot - this is my impression from what I have read in the various forums.

Everyone has their choice in HDD brands and there are horror stories floating around the forums for practically every drive maker at some time or other for a particular model - I personally dont think there is any drive brand which stands way above the others over a long period of time .... I now check what the users report on the current models of the drives in the market in the various forums. Today the Hitachis seem to get the best reports.

At any given time there is always one drive model which gets bashed around in the forums - but then the maker of that drive seems to make an extra hard effort with their next model (they have to do this to survive) and so the next lot of drives can be really good. A drive in point is the Maxtor DM9s which were a disaster and then the DM10s and the Maxline IIIs are considered to be amongst the BEST today.

All this is just my opinion - you dont have to agree :)

Back