PC Peripherals Need new HDD

Chaos said:
^^7200.7 series ruled but 7200.8 ain't very good. The latencies of 7200.8 are rather poor.

EXACTLY !! ..... but you can be sure Seagate is not sitting pretty - they must be working hard on the next drive - people will not forgive a second BOO-BOO from them - so expect the next Seagates to be killer drives.

called up a few vendors...Hitachi seems to be hard to get hold of....

Seagate Barracuda PATA quotes :

80 GB: 2.4K

120 3.4K

160: 3.8

200: 4.7K

Noone knew if they are series 7 or 8 so I'll have to go check it out myself today evening

Barracuda = 7200RPM, Desktop oriented part.

Cheetah = 10K/15K RPM, High performance - Server oriented part.

Momentus = 5400/7200RPM , Low Power - Notebook oriented part.

In other words, all the 7200RPM Seagate disks intended for Desktops are effectively known as Barracudas, irrespective of the model number.

You need not worry about models , 7200.8 series covers only the higher capacities - 200GB onwards ! You can rest assured your 80GB disk will be a 7200.7 model.

Even so if you need to check, the model number for a 7200.7 80GB PATA disk will be : ST380011A or ST380013A . You can confirm this with any of the dealers you ring up , they'll be happy to tell you these model numbers.

EDIT: Silly Me ! Dint see the date of the post, I guess you would have your HDD by now! :p Nonetheless, hope the info is useful.

superczar said:
Nopes...not yet :(
gng down today evening....in another 2 hours maybe....
Thanks a ton for the info :)

So :)

Which model you select and at what price and from where?

How it's working so far?

Can I have Dealer Number?

Back