New Bench station!

apollyon

ex-Mod
Feb 27, 2005
Hi all,
After seeing the Antec Skeleton and the HSPC bench station i had planned to make my own DIY station. Googling a bit i found Navig's design from ocforums and it looked very simple and practical, not to mention easy to make :p
So after nearly one month, plenty of moolah spent on new tools and paint smudged hands its finally ready :hap2:

Material used was 20mm plywood, 1.5" square aluminium pipe, 1.5"/20mm aluminium angle, ss self tapping screws

The beginning, cutting the 20mm ply

First brief assembly, just to check everything was ok :D

20mm M3 standoff's

custom made control panel in alu angle. Push-to-On buttons for Power On and Reset, 10mm bigass leds, blue for Power and green for HDD, 2 USB ports

primer coats for the wood and the metal parts

first coat of paint (total three coats), paint used was satin finish dulux

final assembly

pcw fan controller, 12w per channel, good enough for 2 x 120mm high cfm fans per channel. this will be upgraded later to a better quality Sunbeam

psu mount

dvdrw mount rails

in action :p

i :love: case badges :p

hdd cage can accommodate 6 drives

another two USB ports on the left side

current test config on this station is -
Core i7 920/ Xeon W3570
Gigabyte EX58 UD3R, EVGA Classified X58 E760
Crucial/A-Data DDR3
3 x 500GB, 320GB, 160 Seagate Sata HDD's and a single 80GB IDE hdd

Reactions: 16 people

Rave

Super Mod
Jan 11, 2005
wow what a through job man, looks better than the antec imo..

excellent work, although why the ghastly green for the base? :p

how much does the thing weight? 5-6kgs?

random2

Adept
Nov 1, 2006
Very neat job. Metal would have been better, but this should be ok as its a open chasis.

Again, a very neat job.

Zloyd

Adept
Dec 10, 2008
Im gonna be getting in touch with ya ...... I was toying with the idea of doing some simple case mods but have some doubts with the bits and stuff for the power tools also i think i spy something perfect for cutting windows.

Since you seem to have it all figured out :D

Love the finished look and the sticker collection.

apollyon

ex-Mod
Feb 27, 2005
thanks guys :)
@random2, do you mean different choice of metal rather than alu or finishing of the paint on alu?

Reactions: 1 person

rdst_1

Veteran
May 10, 2009
awesome job appo sir . from what i have read wood isn't a good conductor of heat . however here it doesn't matter as it is a open air benching rig

random2

Adept
Nov 1, 2006
apollyon said:
@random2, do you mean different choice of metal rather than alu or finishing of the paint on alu?
I meant you could have used al/metal plates instead of wood. But not a major thing. wood is easier to work on and costs less, only con being not a good heat dissipater.

As I said earlier regardless of this - It looks superb :thumb:

apollyon

ex-Mod
Feb 27, 2005
yup, had though about using alu/steel plates to reduce weight and for heat dissipation. had also located a source for some awesome quality aluminum perforated sheet. but wood was easier to work with and also its non conductive so decided against the all metal design
Abbe Rave, its yellow not green! weight is approx 5-6 kgs without any hw mounted

sarang

Adept
Dec 22, 2005
Great Job Appo.When can I drop in to smear your already dirty floor with some drool. :)