Nokia unveils E6, X7 phones with new Symbian OS

pepps3484

Disciple
Nokia, the world's largest phone maker by volume, unveiled on Tuesday two new smartphone models running on a new version of its Symbian software platform.
The new models, the E6 and the X7, will go on sale for 340 euros ($491.6) and 380 euros respectively excluding subisidies and taxes, later this quarter.
In February, Nokia's new chief executive Stephen Elop dumped Symbian software - which lost most of its lead on the smartphone market last year - saying the company would instead use Microsoft Corp's unproven software as its primary platform.

Source : Nokia unveils E6, X7 phones with new Symbian OS - Tech News - IBNLive

The icons look nice - first step to making an OS 'look' different. Now it remains to be seen if the menus have been redesigned. Considering this is S^3, don't expect much of a change on that front. Waiting for dhruv or someone who gets access to these devices to post a review

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

comp@ddict said:
2.46" screen? It's a bit too small isn't it? I mean 2.6-2.8" was expected. It's a 500$ device for heaven's sake.
Guess they had to keep ergonomics of business phones in mind.

^What do you want redesigned in the menus? All apps under one large box like Android? Symbian has the most customisable menu setup around, and hey.. you don't even need to jailbreak!

black E6 is sexy :D an autofocus cam would have been very useful to take pics of documents and visiting cards. can't understand nokia's persistence with edof cams :(

_

I hope Nokia starts pricing new Anna OS phones sub 15k in India and then we will have plethora of people again pulled back to symbian. At least i will be one of them :p

TechHead said:
^What do you want redesigned in the menus? All apps under one large box like Android? Symbian has the most customisable menu setup around, and hey.. you don't even need to jailbreak!

Two major gripes I have against their menu are (1) the damn thing is not sorted, it is so bloody irritating to find out something, and (2) way too many clicks to do some basic options, like say I am in the messages screen, and I want to delete multiple. Not possible. I am in the gallery, want to select multiple in single touches, not possible
raksrules said:
I hope Nokia starts pricing new Anna OS phones sub 15k in India and then we will have plethora of people again pulled back to symbian. At least i will be one of them :p
Would be absolutely wonderful, but they are already tight on margins, so it might be a bit too much to expect.

raksrules said:
From the gsmarena.com article mentioned in the post earlier

The older Symbian^3 models (N8, E7, C7 and C6-01) will be getting getting the Symbian Anna "in the coming months" as an over the air update. For more information on the update, check our extensive blog post.

So you have atleast one sub 15K device(C6-01) and even the C7 (form letsbuy) with anna soon(few months). :)

In reply to certain concerns above -->

1. EDOF not much longer, i do wish the E6 came without it though. << It is superbly sexy hardware >>

2. This is not even close to the entire UI refresh coming up later this year. It takes the best of every other UI and adds in Symbian's versatility to it. Personally i love it.

3. Anna will probably make its way to sub 15k smartphones as well. And as it is , the C6-01 is already below 15 so there you go.. A gorgeous little Anna phone already there .. it even has a CBD screen \m/

dhruvrock2000 said:
In reply to certain concerns above -->

2. This is not even close to the entire UI refresh coming up later this year. It takes the best of every other UI and adds in Symbian's versatility to it. Personally i love it.

Any way we can catch a glimpse of that through you now ? We know you do have access to that :p

Btw i see your signature says X7 as one of your cellphones. Any chance of you reviewing it ? Something in plans ?

Dhruv, any idea when Anna is coming to existing S^3 devices?

Also, is there possibility of E7 like device but in ~15k range...say 3.2 / 3.5" with slide out qwerty?

Back