CPU/Mobo PC in a restart loop EDIT: Resolved

Ah ok, sounds like a mobo issue. Also try assembling the components outside your cabinet and run it to rule out any shorts or issues with the power button.

Power button is fine. I had that doubt myself aswell so checked it and it seems to be fine.

Will try assembling the components on a box. I guess this is the only solution left to check now.

Ps- would placing the mobo working on a cardboard box be safe?

Last edited:
Tada! Its still doing that.

Seems the mobo has conked off but the symptoms were more in tuned to temperature issues.

Do you think there is any chance of the cpu conking off?

the only thing Op has not tested is the ram module and the mobo ram slot. So I would suggest Op to run memtest86+, check his HDD for bad sectors and run a bootable linux distro and see whether the system restarts or not.

the only thing Op has not tested is the ram module and the mobo ram slot. So I would suggest Op to run memtest86+, check his HDD for bad sectors and run a bootable linux distro and see whether the system restarts or not.

I did the components strip out thingy where i even removed the ram and just ran the psu, mobo and the cpu to check the behaviour and viola it was the same.

Still think i should check the ram?

Still think i should check the ram?

You could do that to eliminate any issues with the memory modules. If the memory is going bad, it may frequently BSOD or cause instability issues. I recall when one of my memory sticks were faulty, WinRAR always showed up errors during the unRARing operations. A memtest86+ run confirmed that one of the sticks was faulty.

You can make a bootable USB drive with Memtest86+ on it. Boot the system from the pen drive (change the boot order from the BIOS) and it would run the utility. Test with one stick on the slot at a time.

Download Link - http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20/memtest86+-4.20.usb.installer.zip

If it does not return any red blocks, your memory stick is safe. Test it with the other stick.

When turned on after a long time, it does boot in the OS however after 2 restarts it just does it in the bios itself.

Like the fan turns on and off with the restart light blinking every time.

@Gannu
Tried with the ram on each module. Cant try one ram as i only have one!

Not a RAM issue then. Faulty RAM won't cause the BIOS to reset. If the BIOS detects a mem fault, it would just halt with an error code/beep.

I hope it didn't throw any errors/red blocks. It could be the motherboard then. If you can test the system with another power supply, you can come to a definitive conclusion.

Why not take it to Prime and check it? They charge a nominal amount for this. I am not sure if this warrants the PC being assembled from their shop though.

@Eddy Yeah, thats what i would have taught when i checked the ram initially when it started to have this problem.

@Gannu
Changed the psu already bro. Psu aint the issue it seems.

All in all, everything points out to the mobo or less chance but the proccy as well.

ImageUploadedByTechEnclave Forum1378476766.649432.jpg

ImageUploadedByTechEnclave Forum1378476779.518139.jpg

Got a b75 board from gigabyte to replace the damaged(?) one.

Damages rs 4600 from prime. The new one looks a bit sturdier than the h61.
Also for a budget board, it does pack good features.

Yes, well it seems so. It's currently active at this time and it has passed around 2 hours now and the problem hasn't appeared.

Thank you everyone who has helped me to solve this problem.

Back