Recommend Air Conditioner - 2011 Thread

Looks like by each passing year, the last years AC become obsolete. Hence am creating thread for the current year. So folks, I need recommendation for 2 ton Split AC . I would like to get them installed by Feb end, that way I can get returns for the investment for atleast 4 months.

Please pour in your suggestions.

Thanks
+LT

Check this for most energy efficient ACs http://220.156.189.25:8080/beeLabel/SearchRAC.page?etype=ET0008&ename=AC,

I was looking for 1.5 ton window AC & for the 1st time this list has 2 models with 5 star energy rating,

till last year only split Acs had 5 star rating & there were only 2-3 window models with 4 star rating

GWxfV.png

IMO... Hitachi ones are good when it comes to power saving to cooling efficiency. Had it for a year and no issues. Its silent mode is indeed quite that you wont hear any noise from the blower. besides it also has functions to adjust room temperature depending on your surrounding.

A.S.S is also good, i called them once when water was pouring in from A.C and their response was prompt.

Next would be samsung as they do have good compressor units which can chill your room even at 54 degrees, but since you staying in Pune, i doubt that temperature would be a reality.

Cant say much about L.G/Onida/others as i do feel that the heart of an A.C is the compressor.

^ Right guys, however what I am looking at the latest models that these guys are pouring out. Looks like the link above does mention the latest models as well. Do Hitachi, Samsung has in build stabilizer? Also one of the threads last year mentioned about DC-DC techno in AC, has that become common norm?

+LT

linuxtechie said:
^ Right guys, however what I am looking at the latest models that these guys are pouring out. Looks like the link above does mention the latest models as well. Do Hitachi, Samsung has in build stabilizer? Also one of the threads last year mentioned about DC-DC techno in AC, has that become common norm?

+LT

Regarding the older model of hitachi(the one i am using) is not having an inverter. AFAIK, samsung(those which cost 25k+), have voltage stabilizer. I guess hitachi would be coming out with a stabilizer this season. Regarding the DC-inverter techno u talking about, its still not a comman norm as it leads to price increase. panasonic, diakin

have implemented the the inversion technology.

@ LT, just one advice, confirm from ur AC dealer regarding whether the prices will go north or south after budget. if its going south then its better to wait and let the companies release their new models. I just bought an AO Smith geyser and the dealer told me that prices will be going north so i got it immediately,just my two cents..:)

Arjun said:
I think only some samsung Acs had the built in stablizer feature.

agreed.

edit.. just checked that the hitachi ones are now having DC inverter technology.. but it does cost a lot.

linuxtechie said:
Looks like by each passing year, the last years AC become obsolete. Hence am creating thread for the current year. So folks, I need recommendation for 2 ton Split AC . I would like to get them installed by Feb end, that way I can get returns for the investment for atleast 4 months.

What made you settle on 2 tons?

Could you describe your requirement in more detail? Such as application, hours of use, etc etc. In addition what are your expectations from the unit, just cooling or "air conditioning" - Just cooling is totally different from Air conditioning.

and one more thing, Like the wide diversity in cars Marutis - Tatas - to Merc BMWs and beyond, the same applies to ACs too, which one would you like ?

Please stay away from hitachi and as for built in stabilizer it is always advisable to get external stablizer installed we had daikin spit ac with built-in stabilizer and during the time of electrical surge the internal stablizer failed to protect the AC and we had to get some electrical part inside it replaced ,so i would say get an external stablizer for added safety..... and from what i have observed is that TATA split AC's work the best(low to medium price range) ,i am here comparing it with my daikin ..the cooling is almost on similar level the only advantage of daikin is that its very silent...hope this helps ...
BTW also have a look at LG

traxx_420 said:
Please stay away from hitachi and as for built in stabilizer it is always advisable to get external stablizer installed we had daikin spit ac with built-in stabilizer and during the time of electrical surge the internal stablizer failed to protect the AC and we had to get some electrical part inside it replaced ,so i would say get an external stablizer for added safety..... and from what i have observed is that TATA split AC's work the best(low to medium price range) ,i am here comparing it with my daikin ..the cooling is almost on similar level the only advantage of daikin is that its very silent...hope this helps ...

BTW also have a look at LG

i would add to the fact that the Vertis series from Tata does pack a punch when it comes to cooling, but its got a lower EER rating compared to Hitachi. It can be considered an option if you are not much into saving side..

I am not sure if LG have revamped their line of AC products because last year reviews and usage were pathetic to say the least.

@arjun- we had bought a hitachi window A.C for our home three years back ,the cooling was pathetic and it gave numerous problems ..i mean even after an hour or so the room would not bee cooled to the level it should be (even at highest setting) and just last year my friend also bought a hitachi window A.C the one with blower/heater, he also have the same complaint ...so our experience was hitachi not very good..

TheIndian said:
Could you describe your requirement in more detail? Such as application, hours of use, etc etc. In addition what are your expectations from the unit, just cooling or "air conditioning" - Just cooling is totally different from Air conditioning.

What is difference between them ? Can anyone elaborate ?

sredd said:
Any first hand information about Panasonic cube ACs?
These are spplit ACs, newly launched available in 1.25 T and 1.67 T both are with and without remote with two star rating. Price here in Kolkata varies from 15,400/- to 18,500/-

What made you settle on 2 tons?
Well I need something more than 1.5 and hence 2. My master bedroom is about 200 sq.ft and hence 2 ton. I am hoping it will cool the room faster. Clearly 1, 1.5 ton will take forever to cool the room.

AFAIK I know cooling is one part of "air conditioning". Apart from that I would expect it to reduce the humidity, which I think is give for an AC.
and one more thing, Like the wide diversity in cars Marutis - Tatas - to Merc BMWs and beyond, the same applies to ACs too, which one would you like ?
The one that has good compressor, is relatively quite and has good CS.

Also what kind of wiring is needed for it? I am assuming 5A wont do, something like 15A is needed. Can someone correct me?

+LT

linuxtechie said:
Well I need something more than 1.5 and hence 2. My master bedroom is about 200 sq.ft and hence 2 ton. I am hoping it will cool the room faster. Clearly 1, 1.5 ton will take forever to cool the room.

AFAIK I know cooling is one part of "air conditioning". Apart from that I would expect it to reduce the humidity, which I think is give for an AC.

The one that has good compressor, is relatively quite and has good CS.

Also what kind of wiring is needed for it? I am assuming 5A wont do, something like 15A is needed. Can someone correct me?

+LT

Ok here goes - based on the information provided by you -

When you say fast, what is the time frame in mind a minute or two or 10-15 mins? and what is your desired temp and what is the outside temp, what about working hours? Night duty, full day duty, do you live on the top floor, how many windows, is there another room above you or its the roof. All these affect the rating of the Aircon you want. Be warned, an overcapacity AC consumes about 20% more power then a right sized one.

- I have a 140 sq ft room with 13 feet of windows and I have a 1 ton AC (Toshiba Daisekai) which cools the room in about 10 mins (max) - I can live with that.

in office we have a .8 tons Voltas window AC in a 110 sq ft room and 4 comps and 4 persons - Even that is enough - the staff keeps turning it down.

So for sizing 200 sq ft, 1.50 tons is MORE THAN ENOUGH - in any condition, even the middle of the dessert - this is not just by experience but its based on research on air conditioning as a hobby.

Cooling is one of the main parts of air conditioning - the other parts are humidity control, dust control, Ionising the air, etc.

All A/cs have the cooling part (and lower the humidity as part of the process) - any basic A/C with a 3-4 star energy rating will do it (especially if its limited hours and days usage) , just get one that has good A.S.S in your area (where are you located BTW) - and you are set to go, no need to spend big bucks, you need it to last 5-6 yrs max - then its time to buy a new one anyways, else the power bills will kill you.

But if want more out of it, then its time to look around - the budget could be from 25k upwards to 50+k. Then there are ACs with the inverter compressors which have a lower running cost but higher capital cost. So if your usage is high and power cost per unit is high maybe you should be looking at these. Then of course Dust filters, ionisation and other bells and whistles.

Toshiba Daisekai is the Rolls of home Acs - nothing else even comes close,

For a split unit, they will need to do additional wiring and it may be 25Amps for a 2 ton unit

And yes, you can have units that do both cooling and heating - if you live in one of those really cold wintery places - They are refereed to as Heat Pumps

linuxtechie said:
Precisely! A 15A socket and the wiring is required.

Back