Recommend Air Conditioner - 2011 Thread

TheIndian said:
Ok here goes - based on the information provided by you -

When you say fast, what is the time frame in mind a minute or two or 10-15 mins?
10-15 mins max.

TheIndian said:
and what is your desired temp
22-25

TheIndian said:
and what is the outside temp,
I am in Pune, and my whole flat faces South-West and faces pretty hot winds. So even if the max temperature is about 42, it feels more hot than that. It has been more than 45 ( for a week I guess) last year. So yeah, please assume mercury is gonna hit north.

TheIndian said:
what about working hours? Night duty, full day duty,
Count night and day (since I have a kid at home) but probably for a month when temperature are high, I don't wish to end up in the habbit of AC and would like to avoid it when I can.

TheIndian said:
do you live on the top floor, how many windows, is there another room above you or its the roof.
4th floor, there are 3 more floors above me. Couple of windows, a door that opens to gallery that again faces South-west winds and sun.

TheIndian said:
All these affect the rating of the Aircon you want. Be warned, an overcapacity AC consumes about 20% more power then a right sized one.
Correct. Hmm, thanks for warning.

TheIndian said:
- I have a 140 sq ft room with 13 feet of windows and I have a 1 ton AC (Toshiba Daisekai) which cools the room in about 10 mins (max) - I can live with that.
in office we have a .8 tons Voltas window AC in a 110 sq ft room and 4 comps and 4 persons - Even that is enough - the staff keeps turning it down.
I get your point.

TheIndian said:
So for sizing 200 sq ft, 1.50 tons is MORE THAN ENOUGH - in any condition, even the middle of the dessert - this is not just by experience but its based on research on air conditioning as a hobby.
My bedroom carpet size is 268 sq. ft. Of which 64 sq. ft is a wardrobe area having about 30 sq. ft open area(its not closed, since it opens to bathroom for ventilation, hence AC will have its load as well.) So the open carpet area comes to about 234 sq. ft. The standard height is 9 ft. So the cubic area is about 2106 cb. ft.

TheIndian said:
Cooling is one of the main parts of air conditioning - the other parts are humidity control, dust control, Ionising the air, etc.
I think dust control (filter mostly called) is common and ionizing is probably a feature.

TheIndian said:
All A/cs have the cooling part (and lower the humidity as part of the process) - any basic A/C with a 3-4 star energy rating will do it (especially if its limited hours and days usage) , just get one that has good A.S.S in your area (where are you located BTW)
Pune as told you already. A.S.S wise I am thinking of samsung, I am not much sure of LG. Any punekars?

TheIndian said:
- and you are set to go, no need to spend big bucks, you need it to last 5-6 yrs max - then its time to buy a new one anyways, else the power bills will kill you.
Another good advice, makes sense.

TheIndian said:
But if want more out of it, then its time to look around - the budget could be from 25k upwards to 50+k. Then there are ACs with the inverter compressors which have a lower running cost but higher capital cost. So if your usage is high and power cost per unit is high maybe you should be looking at these. Then of course Dust filters, ionisation and other bells and whistles.
So dust filter is not given by default?

TheIndian said:
For a split unit, they will need to do additional wiring and it may be 25Amps for a 2 ton unit
So I will need 25Amps wiring for it. Thought so.

TheIndian said:
And yes, you can have units that do both cooling and heating - if you live in one of those really cold wintery places - They are refereed to as Heat Pumps
Hmm, sometimes in winter I fee like having a heater, cause then those hot winds from south-west convert into really cold wind, the temperature if is 20 feel like 16.

TheIndian said:
IIRC the power to a split AC can be direct with a switch (like a fan) and for 2 Tons 15A definitely not enough 25 maybe

Thanks for all the advice guys. Makes me more prepared. So considering 234 sq. ft bedroom of about 2100 cb. ft. capacity, what capacity AC should I go for?

+LT

I have another Question, do you have another room you would like to cool too ? adjacent or near to this one, - one that could be served by the same external unit ?

I would buy an inverter unit, 1.5 or 2 tons - multi split if I have another room to cool, would be a killer,

any budget in mind ?

TheIndian said:
I have another Question, do you have another room you would like to cool too ? adjacent or near to this one, - one that could be served by the same external unit ?

I would buy an inverter unit, 1.5 or 2 tons - multi split if I have another room to cool, would be a killer,

any budget in mind ?
Nope none really. The next room to it is living room, pretty large room. I would end up buying 3 2tons ac to cool that one, way out of budget. Regarding budget, I am okish till 40k.

+LT

Hi
i have a 20k budget with stablizer for a windows 1.5 ton ac.
which one should i go for
1) should be energy effecient
2) not make much noise

Re: 20k

bitspilani said:
Hi
i have a 20k budget with stablizer for a windows 1.5 ton ac.
which one should i go for
1) should be energy effecient
2) not make much noise
I dont think u will find a branded one under 24-25k....maybe 0.8-1ton,but not 1.5T.

EDIT:Oops ,sorry....didnt read ur post correctly.I was mentioning Split ACs.

Btw, are u sure u wanna make all the fuss on ur wall and install a window one? Just increase a few Ks and get a Split one mate.

dragon said:
These are spplit ACs, newly launched available in 1.25 T and 1.67 T both are with and without remote with two star rating. Price here in Kolkata varies from 15,400/- to 18,500/-
how is the cooling and cost of running compared to standard splits? thanks

babhishek said:
how is the cooling and cost of running compared to standard splits? thanks
No idea, searching for a review! Anyone has first hand experience about Panasonic Cube AC's, please share

Re: ?

bitspilani said:
Yaar

are there some models which dont drop water outside room while cooling ?
water droplets are something which is formed due to reducing the room humidity. Most of the AC's will have water droplets formed especially when there is large difference in temperature between outside and inside temperature. IMO, i dont think there would be any ac with such a feature u need?

linuxtechie said:
Nope none really. The next room to it is living room, pretty large room. I would end up buying 3 2tons ac to cool that one, way out of budget. Regarding budget, I am okish till 40k.

+LT
You may need to step that budget up, At 40k may get an Haier Inverter, - the other are 50ish - I would go for a top quality 1.5 Ton top quality unit, panasonic (they have inverters too) , Toshiba (EXCELLENT after sales, but pricey), Daikin, Misubihi, upper end LG and samsung, take your pick, -

Have you gone AC shopping in your area? did you short list anything?

BTW what is your per month unit consumption, and what is the rate / unit? (at the highest level)

@TheIndian,

I have done some calculations based on the information available at the net. Appears to be that I need about 16k btu's. Comes to about 1.5 tons. So what should I go for? 1.5 or 2? 2 tons ac have pretty low eer's.

+LT

linuxtechie said:

+LT

Just saw your post @TheIndian:

TheIndian said:
You may need to step that budget up, At 40k may get an Haier Inverter, - the other are 50ish - I would go for a top quality 1.5 Ton top quality unit, panasonic (they have inverters too) , Toshiba (EXCELLENT after sales, but pricey), Daikin, Misubihi, upper end LG and samsung, take your pick, -

I am more inclined towards LG/Samsung, more from service point. And the usage is just for 3 months, hence samsung, rest of the year its going to be a weight.

TheIndian said:
Have you gone AC shopping in your area? did you short list anything?

Those numskulls didn't help much. I am going to visit more shops in city area.

TheIndian said:
BTW what is your per month unit consumption, and what is the rate / unit? (at the highest level)

Max it went to about 235 as per MSEB. About 1.2k total as per MSEB. (April 2010)

By top quality you mean BEE 5 star ratings?

+LT

linuxtechie said:
@TheIndian,

I have done some calculations based on the information available at the net. Appears to be that I need about 16k btu's. Comes to about 1.5 tons. So what should I go for? 1.5 or 2? 2 tons ac have pretty low eer's.

+LT
Just saw your post @TheIndian:
I am more inclined towards LG/Samsung, more from service point. And the usage is just for 3 months, hence samsung, rest of the year its going to be a weight.

Those numskulls didn't help much. I am going to visit more shops in city area.

Max it went to about 235 as per MSEB. About 1.2k total as per MSEB. (April 2010)

By top quality you mean BEE 5 star ratings?

+LT
As I have been saying from the start, 1.50 Tons is enough, and only 3 months usage? buy anything that cools, (samsung, voltas, videocon etc ) do not waste your money on anything fancy. I was under the impression you will use it round the year.

And whats the secret of 235 units only with a house that big ?

TheIndian said:
As I have been saying from the start, 1.50 Tons is enough, and only 3 months usage? buy anything that cools, (samsung, voltas, videocon etc ) do not waste your money on anything fancy. I was under the impression you will use it round the year.

Thanks for the final nail in the wall. I am going with 1.5.

TheIndian said:
And whats the secret of 235 units only with a house that big ?

No secret, its just two of us with our daughter. We use gas geyser, apart from that the biggest consumer of power would be LCD and now AC, thats about it.

:)

+LT

Guys please help me to decide which one to buy (All prices are in kolkata, different shops):

- Onida S18SPD5 (1.5 Tonnages): 5 star rating, price about 27,000/-

- Godrej GSC 18 FM (1.5 T): 5 star rating, price about 26,500/-

- Voltas Vertis Gold I (1.5 T): 5 star rating, price about 27,000/-

- Carrier (1.5 T): 4 star rating, 28,000/-

- LG (1.5 T): 5 star rating, 31,000/-

Installation charges about 2200/- including angle

babhishek said:
@ dragon : are these splits?

why aren't you including panasonic into your list?

yes these are all split ones, regarding panasonic there is mixed reaction among shopkeepers. These are less sold, proper review is not available and ?? ASS (in Kolkata)

dragon said:
Guys please help me to decide which one to buy (All prices are in kolkata, different shops):

- Onida S18SPD5 (1.5 Tonnages): 5 star rating, price about 27,000/-
Do not go for this model. It has fairly long throw but fails miserably anything below 10 feet. The louver cant be adjusted below this level. Its more suitable for office purpose than home. Its noisy and somehow I am not comfortable with its Air conditioning but the cooling is superb (perhaps it takes too much moisture). I got for 24K + 1K for Fan remote.
Carrier Estrella is superb. We got this more than 4 years ago performance is exceptional and air-conditioning is superb. After experiencing with onida model, I came to know the difference between cooling and air conditioning. Cooling alone doesnot make you comfortable. Go for any A/C manufacturer has long reputable history in air conditioning like Carrier, toshiba, hitachi, Og

I got a General 1 ton split for 30k about 4 months back. The 1.5 ton was available for 38k. The alternative was the Panasonic 1.5 ton which was recommended by my friend who is in the AC business. I got the General as we already have a 1.5 ton which has been running problem free for 5+ years.

vijaycool said:
Do not go for this model. It has fairly long throw but fails miserably anything below 10 feet. The louver cant be adjusted below this level. Its more suitable for office purpose than home. Its noisy and somehow I am not comfortable with its Air conditioning but the cooling is superb (perhaps it takes too much moisture). I got for 24K + 1K for Fan remote.

Carrier Estrella is superb. We got this more than 4 years ago performance is exceptional and air-conditioning is superb. After experiencing with onida model, I came to know the difference between cooling and air conditioning. Cooling alone doesnot make you comfortable. Go for any A/C manufacturer has long reputable history in air conditioning like Carrier, toshiba, hitachi, Og

What about Godrej and Voltas? Come on guys I want to finalise this today only, thanks

Back