Recommend Air Conditioner - 2011 Thread

Hi all,

I am from east U.P. and have asked a lot of people in my region who have AC's in their home. Most of them have told me to go for Voltas as their service is quite good in my area. Now we have only one Voltas distributor in my area and he's telling me that Voltas Gold (1.5T) is out of stock and he currently has only 2 Voltas AC's in 1.5 T range.

Voltas Vertis - Gemini
Voltas Vertis - Pearl

Only difference which I can find is that Pearl has Turbo for fast cooling while Gemini is less noisy. In terms of looks I am indifferent but my parents like Pearl more. The list price for both is 35,990/- on the website and this guy is charging me about 32,000/-

Am I getting a nice deal or is it too expensive given that both are 5-star AC's. Our usage will be approximately 8-10 hours daily for 3 months a year so I know 5 star don't matter much but neither do I have many options :(

I will update you guys regarding the performance etc. as I will be taking two of them, one for the living room and another for the office.

mjumrani said:
Hey guys.
...... . Don't care much about power savings. ........
Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
Am curious why you dont care about the power consumption?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Gannu said:
The Fujitsu General models available in India (sold as O-General) are assembled by ETA (a JV between ETA Dubai and Fujitsu General Japan) at their plant in Pondicherry. AFAIK other than the compressor which is imported from Japan, the rest of the components including the condensers are manufactured here.

Well Said, place of manufacture matters a lot. Going for a lesser brand may make more sense then going for a cheap big brand unit.

From what I understand the 3-5 star rating become important when you are planning to run your ac for 8 hrs a day minimum, less than that and the power savings are not significant, however I am not an expert and this is what I understood from forum opinion online.

Also if you are buying now it seems better to go for an inverter ac for maximum performance with power savings as the compressor in this kind of ac constantly regulates itself rather than being in an on or off stage.

bbthumbhealer said:

They are very nice A/cs .. go for them ..

Are Videocon Acs good?

Let me ask another Question, are Tata Cars good ? can I buy a Tata Car - sure go ahead and buy .. enjoy it .. have fun -

so what if the vehicle is required for off roading

PHRASE your questions intelligently - Take the trouble of putting it across nicely if you want intelligent answers

My room's around 14x12x10 = 1680 cubic feet. Hardly exposed to direct sun. Running for around 14 hrs a day. Will run for good 7 months a year in temp extremes upto 50 degress. Looking to go for a 1.5T hitachi in price range upto 35K. I guess a 3 star and a 5 star might also make a difference in my case. Also might stretch the budget upto 45K if required. Any recommendation ?

ashu_dps said:
My room's around 14x12x10 = 1680 cubic feet. Hardly exposed to direct sun. Running for around 14 hrs a day. Will run for good 7 months a year in temp extremes upto 50 degress. Looking to go for a 1.5T hitachi in price range upto 35K. I guess a 3 star and a 5 star might also make a difference in my case. Also might stretch the budget upto 45K if required. Any recommendation ?

I bought Hitachi 1.5 Ton windows for 22k each and order both for my grandparent room and mine room, both are extreme great and run very cool that i bought the auto stabilizer for 2150, that it can auto start the a/c less 2-5 sec ;) and install charge 500 buck only :D, so it run very cooler below 16*c like north pole and very less noise and feel comfortable that why it is much better to go expensive brand which are reliable and easy to install also better A.S.S

Won't a 1.5T inverter set me back by about 55K in Hitachi ? My ideal budget is 35K which i extend upto 45K if the returns are promising but more than that is inviting trouble :p

BTW : m looking for a Split only, no window.

ashu_dps said:
Won't a 1.5T inverter set me back by about 55K in Hitachi ? My ideal budget is 35K which i extend upto 45K if the returns are promising but more than that is inviting trouble :p

BTW : m looking for a Split only, no window.

Frankly a 1 ton inverter is more than enough - many of these "1 tons" are actually 1.1-1.12 ( including the ordinary non inverters) - if you going inverter route and need more then one room aircon consider the multi spilt option

^^Not a multi-room for me. I gave my room size it's 1680 cubic feet (lxbxh). So will a 1 tonn suffice ? Mostly 3 ppl in room, only on weekends crowd is more 6-10 from night till evening, delhi temps. So shouldn't i look at 1.5 T ? And will i really be benifiting in power consumption with inverter in my kind of running when capital cost is this high ?

ashu_dps said:
^^Not a multi-room for me. I gave my room size it's 1680 cubic feet (lxbxh). So will a 1 tonn suffice ? Mostly 3 ppl in room, only on weekends crowd is more 6-10 from night till evening, delhi temps. So shouldn't i look at 1.5 T ? And will i really be benifiting in power consumption with inverter in my kind of running when capital cost is this high ?

Like I said, most of these 1 Tons are actually 1.2 Tons - and inverters boost another 20% - There is always power savings, especially if you decide to go in for 1.5 tons. if you are going to have 6-10 people in there maybe you are better off with 1.5 Tons - and power saving is always a function of cost of power - If its 2-4 Rs / unit dont bother , but if its Rs 10 like in parts of mumbai - power saving is a big factor - also with 1.5 tons running lean with few people it will be important. - I am thinking you could get away with a 1.2 ton good quality ordinary or inverter unit

Summers have now become unbearable... looking to buy a 1.5 T Windows AC...req... Outside temp.. 40Deg.C
1. low noise.
2. Reliabilty.
3.Cost
I need not worry about electricity bill.. as living in company accomodation.Bill paid by company..
Suitably.. budget < 20K.... but may increase if really good product...
kindly advice.

For a cheap AC, look at Whirlpool. Their window models are very good value for money and their stuff is way better built than the korean stuff.

Back