Recommend Air Conditioner - 2011 Thread

letmein said:
I think this thread would be suitable for my query...I have 2 Samsung 1.5 Ton Window ACs. They been used for 8-9 years. One of them, which has been in my room, has been used a lot and now I notice that it hasn't been cooling effectively. Do I need to replace the freon gas or something in it? How much would this cost?

Depending on your hrs of use and room size - REPLACE (one in your room) - the energy saving will be well worth it

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

logistopath said:
For a 230 sq.ft room, a 2 ton a/c would be the bare minimum needed. You need to fix an upper limit to your budget for better suggestions. Something from Hitachi would be a good choice.
230 Sq ft .. 1.50 tons MORE THAN ENOUGH

How good is carrier as a brand?
Looking to get a 1ton split and Carrier have a 5-Star for 28000 + stabilizer + 750(installation) + outdoor stand + copper cables.

Also how long does a AC unit work at it's best efficiency and should be replaced to avoid high power bills. Asking since have a Hitachi unit for the past 9 years and haven't really faced any issues yet.

@ Chaos and TheIndian: Thanks for correcting me. I was of the opinion that anything beyond 200 to 225 sq.ft will need a 2 tonner. At least, that is what some online tonnage calculator indicated. ;)

@rdst_1: What will be your usage pattern? Honestly, a 5 star rated AC is worth only when you will be using it all day every day of the year. If the usage will be restricted to just a few hours for a couple of months or three at the most, you are well off saving a few bucks and getting a 3 star AC.

@logistopath - usage is from mid-may to mid-october for at least 12 hours a day. So i guess a 5-Star makes sense.Plus my parents don't listen to me and are hell bent on buying this Carrier AC they saw yesterday.So if one could recommend better brands or comment on the quality of Carrier. For my parents there's either Carrier or Hitachi. Budget is around 35k for the 1Ton split.

Both Carrier and Hitachi are good brands. There should be a post somewhere in this thread or in this forum comparing different AC brands to makes of cars. It should give you an idea. :)

Ok, I will avoid all Indian and Korean brands. But why are they bad?
Can someone list them out please :ashamed:
Panasonic is widely available, not so sure about whirlpool. Besides these 2 I cannot go for any other brand in 25k range?

Ok, folks, now I need tonnage recommendation for 160 sq. ft. Which one? 1 tonner should do it, right?

+LT

As per a post on team-bhp:

Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ? - Page 108 - Team-BHP

General = BMW

Daikin = Mercedes

Mitsubishi = Audi

Toshiba = Jaguar

Sanyo = Volvo

Sharp = Mitsubishi

Panasonic = Honda

Hitachi = Skoda/FIAT

Whirlpool = FORD

Videocon = Maruti

Carrier = Mahindra

Blue Star = AL

Voltas = Telco

Ssmsung = Cycle

LG = Tri cycle

Onida = Tri cycle with one wheel missing

Take your pick.

+LT

linuxtechie said:

General = BMW

Daikin = Mercedes

Mitsubishi = Audi

Toshiba = Jaguar

Sanyo = Volvo

Sharp = Mitsubishi

Panasonic = Honda

Hitachi = Skoda/FIAT

Whirlpool = FORD

Videocon = Maruti

Carrier = Mahindra

Blue Star = AL

Voltas = Telco

Ssmsung = Cycle

LG = Tri cycle

Take your pick.

+LT
Good for humor, but the comparison is definitely not correct and should be taken with a SPOON of salt.

No offense, but consumer electronics/technical buying judgement capacity of tbhp can be at best termed as mediocre. Our TE is much ahead for this and doesn't needs references from TBHP. I don't think any tbhpian will take car buying advise from TE seriously.

If Videocon is Maruti, then it should make it highest selling AC brand (Maruti's reasonably good quality and price balance, gr8 A.S.S compare that with Videocon). Same inferences can be drawn for most of other comparisons.

Guys,

Which o-general or hitachi model would you suggest based on performance and A.S.S? Room size 10x13, budget 25k +- 2k.

For the first time in my life i feel that o general was bad in cooling. The reason being i had kept the temp to min (18°c) and fan speed at medium then also the cooling was ok, and its a new A/c bought from vijay sales (mumbai).

The room is also is small then also the cooling was not that effective.

On the other hand my Lg split (2 ton) did a better job in the L- shaped hall.

linuxtechie said:
Ok, folks, now I need tonnage recommendation for 160 sq. ft. Which one? 1 tonner should do it, right?

+LT

General = BMW

Daikin = Mercedes

Mitsubishi = Audi

Toshiba = Jaguar

Sanyo = Volvo

Sharp = Mitsubishi

Panasonic = Honda

Hitachi = Skoda/FIAT

Whirlpool = FORD

Videocon = Maruti

Carrier = Mahindra

Blue Star = AL

Voltas = Telco

Ssmsung = Cycle

LG = Tri cycle

Take your pick.

+LT
Voltas is indeed Telco as it is a TATA brand, but I would say Voltas can be compared to Maruti but not Videocon reason being the ASS, Distributor/Dealer Network of Voltas and VFM.

bigbyte said:
Good for humor, but the comparison is definitely not correct and should be taken with a SPOON of salt.

No offense, but consumer electronics/technical buying judgement capacity of tbhp can be at best termed as mediocre. Our TE is much ahead for this and doesn't needs references from TBHP. I don't think any tbhpian will take car buying advise from TE seriously.

If Videocon is Maruti, then it should make it highest selling AC brand (Maruti's reasonably good quality and price balance, gr8 A.S.S compare that with Videocon). Same inferences can be drawn for most of other comparisons.
Nicely put. So Mahindra invented the first automobile eh? :rofl:

Carrier sells more ACs in the world than any of the nearest competitors. Performance and build-quality wise, the Japs may lead the race (as they do with any other sector for that matter). The Koreans aren't exactly bad either.

Carrier = Toyota makes a lot of sense. :p

A close friend who is using general and was a die hard fan, did not recommend me general, says his 1.5T Voltas 3star window AC does a much better job at cooling with less electricity bills.

Even I am not so sure about the O'general brand anymore.

Back