[SHOW-OFF] Artwork-Design

Scorpy said:
@kidrow : when I used to do that ... people on these gfxforums used to tell me that you have to blend the render instead of making it stand out :p ..... hence I tried to do that :p ...and for the big daddy ... well those lines are called perspective lines .... im using a 2 perspective point method but i didnt really put much effort into using it .... you can make an image with just one perspective point ....here is a video of 1st perspective

YouTube - Bioshock Drawing Requested by : Pruane2Forever

Yep, I believe the idea is to have the render blended in but at the same time have the focal stand out through the use of flow, lighting & depth. For instance, I've liked your current sig cos the dude jumping seems a part of the same scene & not cut out, but at the same time he stands out cos of the lighting.

In any case, once the basics are mastered, you should always go ahead & break the rules & create new ones. :D . The only reason I mentioned it, cos I found my eyes running across the canvas in each of the sigs & not resting in one place. But then again, sigs are so damn subjective anyways. Cheers.

PS- Thanks for the video. Will check it out.

@PP, Here's the link to that thread I'd mentioned earlier. As to whether or not to merge it, I'll leave it to you [whether it's too bloated to add here?]. In either case I'll be posting any updates in this thread henceforth. & yeah, this post is a seriously good idea.:hap2:

@Scorpy, I liked big daddy. But what are those lines visible in the 1st few pics? Guidelines? Would like an insight into your technique.

For the sigs, try & make the composition such that the renders i.e. the focal stands out from the rest [thought they shouldn't appear to be cut out]. The eye should be led to the focal.

Remember though that I'm no expert & have only just begun learning. So I'll leave it to the more experienced members to correct me if I'm wrong.

@WingZero, really good job on Eminem & Johnny Depp.

Done in Photoshop with an iBall graphics tablet. One of my first attempts at digital painting.

Critique invited so I know areas where I can improve & tips on the best ways to go about it. Just speak your mind. [so I know 'mein kitne paani mein hoon' - whether I suck or whether it's an average artwork {if I can call it that}]

& I just wanted to ask what is the standard size, if any, for such digital art & the recommended dpi. [& where do I set these in PS?] 'Cos I did it probably in full screen mode & have therefore ended up with a tiny image :S

Thanks.

Created these sigs yesterday & need your feedback as regards areas for improvement. Thanks!

Credits-

Grunge brushes by xbstock & digitalrevolutions

Renders by Serenity [Rainbow 6 & Killzone] & Herinjo [Batman]

Thanks to all for the encouragement

@Scorpy - still learning - so not really aiming for the crazy sigs you talk about - but hope to get there sooner rather than later with lots more practice - in fact, trying to follow the KISS principle currently -
*with the r6 sig, wanted to convey the 'stealth' aspect of the game, hence the dark shadows & barely visible, 'ghostly' type

*with batman, just wanted to go for the superhero feel, hence the movie poster kind of sig - batman too is a dark character who relies on stealth & shadow play - but having played AA a bit, he's a bit more visible in the game & hence went for a brighter look

*with killzone, haven't played the game but found the yellow nightvision[?] goggles very attractive, hence used the same for the background

@manuvikram007 - looking forward to your artwork

@vinodh89 - bought the iball 12x9 for ~7k

Here's 2 more sigs -

[Still in Grunge Mode :D]

bf2142c.jpg

By kidrow at 2009-10-29

ironman.jpg

By kidrow at 2009-10-29

Credits -

Xplosion brushes by gspotsimulant

Debris brushes by sprochford.com

Textures by Caleb Kimbrough

Renders by werewolf [Battlefield 2142] & chaotic [Ironman]

Thanks!

Yet another -

redhulk.jpg

Credits -

Debris brushes by sprochford.com

Demolished Cracks & 3D fractals brushes by env1ro

Render by Herinjo

Thanks!

Members on another forum have pointed out that when it comes to sigs, the render shouldn't appear to be cut out from the background but blended in. So none of my earlier sigs above [except maybe Ironman] can be said to be forum sigs as is generally & widely accepted by the sig world. I was actually under the impression that it's sort of like a movie poster or ad.

Also, I'm learning the concepts of depth, flow, lighting & composition. Hopefully, I've been able to incorporate a bit of what I've understood in the following sigs.

So here are my latest sigs. Yet again, I ask for frank opinions, no matter how harsh. Cos we're all trying to improve here. Thanks.

batman2g.jpg

halo3h.jpg

Credits -

Skyscraper brushes by david0592

Renders by Kockie [Halo 3] & Rip [Batman]

@Kidrow you art has been merged. Please forgive me but I merged 2 of you posts in this thread by mistake :p I'm still a little new to the mod tools ;)

@kauzy

@SoMxNemesis

@Scorpy

@abhi

@WingZero

@mhafizji

@kidrow

Thanks for all of the work you guys have shared so far... really awesome stuff :)

PiXeLpUsHeR said:
@Kidrow you art has been merged. Please forgive me but I merged 2 of you posts in this thread by mistake :p I'm still a little new to the mod tools ;)

Thanks for merging the thread. & no probs about fusing the 2 posts together. [though it looks like 1 heck of a long post :p. No ctrl-z?] Will post a few more sigs that I'd done last to last Sunday, pretty soon. Ciao!

4 versions of an Assassins Creed render. Do reply as to which ones you like or don't, but more importantly, why.

acreed.jpg

acreed2.jpg

acreed3.jpg

acreed4.jpg

Credits -

Render by adnan [Assassins Creed]

Brushes: Lightning by jonaskr, Smoke by creativenerds, Dirty Sprays by David Leggett, Grunge by xbstock & digitalrevolutions [linked to in previous posts]

Stocks by haunted gravity [Assassins Creed] & icechicken13 [War Stocks]

C4ds by mrrobin

^Thanks mate. Glad you liked 'em. But which one did you like best & why?

Here's another.

hulkol.jpg

Credits-

Render by kockie [Hulk] & tortue [The Punisher}

No brushes were harmed during the making of this sig :p

As usual, please feel free to criticize as you think fit.

[PS- I'm in Kylie Minogue mode ATM - 'I wanna siggy wiggy with you boy' :p]

^^ that's a tough question as I really do like them all. The character seems to be well integrated into the backgrounds that you have created. I would say I like 4 the least as I think the background is to busy and the character is not as smoothly integrated as the other 3

A Sig

halowarschieftain.jpg

Credits -

Render by jack [Halo Wars]

&

A Digital Painting In Photoshop [Done With An Iball Graphics Tablet]

rockguitaristforweb.jpg

Please critique as you think fit. It'll help me improve. So even if you're harsh, it'll benefit me in the end :). So speak your mind, by all means. Thanks!

^^ thanks :)

some work is remaining i have lessen the reflectivity and glossiness of glass and yea have to touch it to ground and need to take occlusion pass also :)

Scorpy said:
awesome work with the guitar guy man ... i love it ... i also draw but never tried on a tablet .. how does it feel :p ?

Glad you liked it. Took most of last Sunday & whatever time I could manage to set aside this past week to complete it. [Of course, the cloud/smoke was pretty fast, thanks to these great xplosion brushes by gspotsimulant] Hope to get faster & better with practice.

I didn't have too much trouble adapting to the tablet. However, I did have to practice to come to terms with the disconnect between drawing while looking ahead on screen.

Also, when you sketch on paper, you have the freedom to move your head, arm, paper etc. [especially to get straight lines]. Here, it's not really possible [except skewing the canvas &/or the tablet].

Also, what resolution you are working on & the zoom etc. affect the feel. I've found working at a zoom of 100% [actual pixels], the most accurate.

& for sketching, I found Sketchbook Pro has a very natural feel as compared to the other paint program I've tried so far.

For painting, however, the tablet is a real pleasure.

To sum up, I'd say a tablet may not be the best thing in the world when it comes to sketching. [Disclaimer - 1. Though there are people who sketch brilliantly with it {seen on youtube}. 2. I'm not much of a sketch artist myself, more a painter. 3. I haven't really put in much effort to sketch on the tablet.] But for painting, it's absolutely great.

Also, your mileage may vary on how used to working traditionally you are, how much effort you want to put into learning to use a tablet, what size of tablet you use .....

Many might say it's not the most natural thing in the world. It's not, however, the most unnatural thing in the world either.

Hope this helped.

kidrow said:
Many might say it's not the most natural thing in the world. It's not, however, the most unnatural thing in the world either.

Hope this helped.

Yes I agree, but once used to it you can produce some great artwork... check out an artist named Dusso, he has does amazing work and I was thinking about doing a feature on him and linking to his portfolio.

Back