Team TechEnclave at WCG

Shripad

ex-Mod
Hi people.

Team Techenclave is up at World community Grid.

To join please visit : World Community Grid - Team

To see how this team is doing you can check the above link or head over to this thread.

Link :
http://www.techenclave.com/forums/wcg-team-techenclave-personal-achievements-stats-90928.html

Here is a thread that with few tips everyone should follow to ensure they make full use of potential of their machine.

Head over here :
http://www.techenclave.com/forums/wcg-tips-and-tricks-91643.html

=======================================================

How to get started

Please visit World Community Grid - Home and register yourself.

After registration, when you go to download the client of WCG. You have 4 options available.

1. United Device

2. Linux

3. Mac

4. BOINC for windows.

For windows i recommend you select the BOINC client as it is much more configurable.

After that is done. Visit the team url at World Community Grid - Team and join Team Techenclave.

Configuring BOINC client for windows

I can only with this regard as windows is the only primary OS i am using for WCG.

The BOINC WCG client looks like this.

There are 4 options. Message, Snooze, Preferences, Advanced view.

Snooze: Pauses the client. You can use it whenever you want the client to stop using your processor power without closing it.

Preferences: Customization

Advanced View : For more options.

Preferences: This will allow you to schedule the WCG client. You can set fixed time when it will use your CPU cycles for processing, when to access internet and how much CPU power you want WCG client to use.

Just make sure you assign 10GB space to WCG client for optimal results.

Advanced view has lots of extra options and configurations and also stats.

I suggest you leave options here as they are. Use it to see stats.

If you choose to close the client it minimizes to System tray

BOINC client for Linux

Credits to : shirish

There is no issue. I just set up my ubuntu machine for this without any issue. The software has some display issues but that could also be due to it being a pure debian product rather than tweaked to ubuntu perfection. The info. you provided is not enough. Which flavor/distro. of linux you use, redhat, slackware, gentoo as each thing is different. The boinc client is nothing much than a shell script. You just have to run it :-

Code:
Running BOINC on Linux

There are currently two ways to run World Community Grid in Linux: via the Command Line and through the BOINC Manager. The directions below describe the command line installation as many Linux users will use this method. For help installing via the BOINC Manager, take a look at the Windows installation instructions.

To run the BOINC client via the command line, follow these steps:

1. Download the BOINC installation file from the BOINC website and place it into a desired directory.

2. Open a command line window and change to the directory where you downloaded the BOINC installation file.

3. Make the installation file executable:

chmod 700 boinc_5.8.15_i686-pc-linux-gnu.sh

4. Install BOINC:

./boinc_5.8.15_i686-pc-linux-gnu.sh

5. # Change directory so that you are in the directory created by BOINC during installation.

cd BOINC

6. You now need to register your BOINC client with the project. This is called attaching to the project. You do this by running the following command (all on one line):

./boinc -attach_project 

[url=http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org]World Community Grid - Home[/url] d16317e87799cee6e7f547c3edcc4bed

That's about it. If you have ncurses installed then you should be able to run the boinc manager too. I have X windows on the machine here so can't say for sure. As always your mileage may vary.

A more detailed guide for WCG will follow soon. This should be enough to get you started.

Daily download is just few MBs. When you install client for first time, it will download 2-3 MBs but after that daily download is very little. It wont affect your bandwidth much.

Important Notice: Please do not be under impression this hinders your cpu performance. You can always pause it whenever you want. And it also runs in minimum priority mode. So even if you allot 100% cpu to the client, it will not hinder your rregular DVD/video playback or music playback, browsing etc. So please Join and give some part of your processing power twords good cause

I just joined, 2 members now :p

I installed WCG on 4 PC's at work. Its not the Boinc client, do you think I should chage it to the BOINC client? Does the Boinc client have any performance related differences?

Personally I have found the BOINC client to be the best. It works better for me and faster.

In reality how much difference it makes in long run i really dont know.

I am also going through lots of documentation.

But i prefer the bOINC simply for additional preference and network scheduling.

No performance related issues. Its just that it is much more configurable with options like changing system preferences ( CPU priority, percentage used etc) and gives control over the project you want to particpate in (ex - muscular dystropy, WCG, SETI, proteins etc). It helps you with more information on the points generated, results returned. If you use Boinc you can use number of projects around the world.You can see the list of projects that you can use with boinc here.

If you download WCG agent, it is just for WCG projects ( but these WCG projects are crucial and critical ) and the agent has minimum configuration facilities.

Download any agent and you will end up helping mankind in one way or the other. Boinc just gives you more control over the things. I have downloaded Boinc on main rig and WCG agent on the secondary rig coz i dont work much on my secondary rig, so hence only small softwares.

Joining...there were two teams named techenclave :S

I joined the one named Team Techenclave. Hope it is the right one.

But anyway i guess it doesn't matter which team you are in...:).

Seven members now :D...

Already part of team THL :rolleyes:

Hey BOINC doesn't support the project " Help Cure Muscular Dystrophy " does it ?? Because the WCG website says that its supported only in the United Devices Agent.

archish said:
After Installin the Boinc Client I am getting the project is currently unavailable.....

That happens if there is some problem with the server or its in process of regular management.
Exit the client and start after some time.

Both are for good cause.

The database at F@H is already very huge, thats the reason i joined WCG. Lets give these projects little more cpu power shall we. :)

Funky said:
That happens if there is some problem with the server or its in process of regular management.

Exit the client and start after some time.

Still Same problem :(

Do i need to configure anythig at the website?

I hope u registered first and joined the team....

Server is up and running just fine here.

And you dont need to do much.

Just m ake sure you exempt the WCG program from any firewall you have installed.

i have a question...can i join two teams at once...i don't think so...'coz me and my friend had created a team before...

rPOk said:
i have a question...can i join two teams at once...i don't think so...'coz me and my friend had created a team before...

Not with the same id.
You can use different id to join this team. But remember you cant run WCG for both teams at a time from 1 client.

hmmmm....i think i'll coax my friend also to join here only....along with me

my stats are ~13k points for 5 days....in WCG

Well when you join a team your stats do not become a part of the team. Whatever results that are submitted while you are a part of the team will be added to that team.

Back