The IPL 'Gains' : Sehwag out of T20 World Cup

NEW DELHI: India's Twenty20 World Cup campaign suffered a body blow on Tuesday with hard-hitting opener Virender Sehwag being ruled out of the tournament because of a shoulder injury.

The selectors named in-form Tamil Nadu batsman Murali Vijay as his replacement, while naming Gautam Gambhir the new vice captain.

Full Story: Source

Dhoni already told IPl have took the toll ..SO this time he is saying in advance we wont win.....

And why should they earning man of the match in a match will make them 5 lakhs rich whereas for every run they score or doesnt they get minimum 3-4 lakhs

Well i think its okay he was out of touch in ipl so dont think its going to make any diff and i think m vijay is doing better then many others

why can't they have a single world cup?? a full fledged which would last for 50 overs?? and is there a need for organising the t20 world cup every year?? why not once in 3-4 years??

Glad they don't have world cup for tests..

Spacescreamer said:
And what do u want to see..

Loosing ppl to injuries before event like a world cup ??

injuries can happen while sitting at home as well.. i can understand it if he aggravated an injury he was carrying earlier, but he was fit to play the last DD match, heck he played the entire IPL...

Fahrenheit said:
injuries can happen while sitting at home as well.. i can understand it if he aggravated an injury he was carrying earlier, but he was fit to play the last DD match, heck he played the entire IPL...

He has been advised a rest for abt 4 weeks.
do the math and see what does the entire ipl comes down to.

As far as the point for picking up injuries while being at home .. like this u can go and try to defend your stance forever.
If a mega event is coming up, you try to reduce the chances of injuring your key players by rotation, breaks or sch stuff.

IPL like event will always ensure the star players to play .. or have u been so benign that u been ignoring the pressure on icon players..??

ok, did he just pick up the injury or did he have it before the IPL and was advised 4 weeks rest? If it is the latter then he seriously needs to set his priorities right..If it was the former, how do you predict when you will get injured?

Look, i'm not supporting the IPL or anything. If it wasn't for BCCI's greed, we could have had a nice 2-3 week gap between the IPL and the WC..they had to play a meaningless ODI series before the IPL..

Also, remember that the guy who has been picked up in his place is in much better touch than Viru.

Simple enuf.. Give priorities to the Intl fixtures.

In IPL, whom are you rooting for .. ?? Delhi Vs Chennai .. ? Or is it Rajasthan vs Bangalore..

or more like Sachin Vs Yuvraj ..??

Why would you not spend your energy rooting for a better fielded Team India Vs X Intl Team ??

You have seen India struggle lifting a world cup while there are a handful of countries to compete against.. situation will only get tougher.

Atleast try to compete in the Intl competition with full strength.

Get the results for India and not for regional team's flash in the pan glory. What sounds better .. Delhi Wins IPL or India Wins WC ..??

The monkey that Lalit Modi is, he ll keep devising tricks to squeeze in as many IPL as possible cuz he knows he is nothing without that.

BCCI has never been for betterment of cricket and even claiming that Indian team plays for BCCI and not India.

You would root for their money minting machine and risk India's chances at world cup ..?

It shd have been simple enough by resting players / keeping them fresh for the bigger and main events than this circus.

If Sehwag picked this injury during IPL, then No IPL before Mega Even = No Injury for Sehwag = Fit Sehwag.

If Sehwag was nursing the Injury, 4 weeks of no IPL and 4 weeks of rest via rotation policy = Fit Sehwag.

Even if you have a series before any mega event, reduce the stress by rotating/resting players. You reduce stress and reduce their unnecessary outings, you already are reducing their chances of getting injured. That's what a mgmt can do best while trying to avoid injuries.

What's so tough to see through..?

here's a question for you...how do you pick a squad for the T20 WC?

Based on players Ranji performances or would you like the same guys who play the 50 over format playing the T20 WC as well?

As of now IPL is the only domestic T20 tourney of any consequence that we have..

Also, from next year onwards, each player can only play a max of 14 matches out of the 18 matches..

That how i pick up the squad is of no use..

they shunted out a player like uthappa while he has been blazing thru his way, keeping wickets and he has been in 2007 WC team to boot.

That you ll declare the team in the middle of the event is the way of BCCI.

Shastri was pretty good with his view of the selectors.

As far as how i ll pick up the squad, the same way it was before..

Look up for players who have been to T20 WC and other events, are fit for the draining cricket and choose who are in form for T20 format, not a stupid approach that ll leave out a player like uthappa.

If you absolutely have to think about the domestic tournies as the yardstick for picking up ppl, then you have to ask BCCI for being stupid enuf all this while.

They know how to think about channel BCCI for excl coverage of series and not how to build infrastructure and set norms so that a pitch like Kotla has to be rescued.

You cannot expect results to come from domestic tourneys overnight.

The money guzzling nincompoops sitting in BCCI have to stop fooling around and introduce methods to make good players play at domestic level to invoke interest of public. For that they ll have to stop wearing green colored goggles.

Australia does that and their domestic stuff is pretty good.

If they can design IPL, they have to design something for basic level cricket in India.

If IPL has to be the way to pick up youngsters, a week before the events like WC, then something def is not going correct.

Spacescreamer said:
In IPL, whom are you rooting for .. ?? Delhi Vs Chennai .. ? Or is it Rajasthan vs Bangalore..
or more like Sachin Vs Yuvraj ..??
Pick a team and support them, so the answer is any of the above that takes your fancy :)

Spacescreamer said:
Why would you not spend your energy rooting for a better fielded Team India Vs X Intl Team ??
For that India needs to generate more better players than currently.

If cricket becomes a viable career option and the opportunities are there this problem will resolve itself in time.

Spacescreamer said:
The money guzzling nincompoops sitting in BCCI have to stop fooling around and introduce methods to make good players play at domestic level to invoke interest of public. For that they ll have to stop wearing green colored goggles.

Australia does that and their domestic stuff is pretty good.
If they can design IPL, they have to design something for basic level cricket in India.

If IPL has to be the way to pick up youngsters, a week before the events like WC, then something def is not going correct
The golden rule (literally & metaphorically speaking) is whatever is good for cricket is good for everything else.

A money only approach will be screwing the pooch and that means lower returns in the future assuming that India is the biggest market for cricket and the biggest revenue is made when India does well. No, i don't think they will kill the game just for money. if greed is the motive then they will make sure the gravy train lasts a very loooooong time :)

There are a lot of stakeholders to please here. Players, Teams, Their owners, Sponsors and last but not least the spectators.

So is it a case of growing pains, finding their way around to the best formula ?

In many ways your arguments against the IPL are very reminiscent of what is heard in the UK everytime England does badly in the football world cup, (not won it since '66) and conversely why Germany always seems to do much better, as their leagues are a little less demanding (ie fewer games per season) than the Brit ones.

But the leagues generate far more money on a regular basis than intl meets. This is something we will have to get used to i'm afraid.

The only question that matters is whether this is good for cricket or not ?

Why all the explanation part..?

i simply said you support mumbai, i support chennai.. ha one day ur team loses and one day mine..

players get exposed to injuries and by your own account, we dont have too many players in the trunk to spare.

In the end India will end up getting the boot.

Now who wins?

Playing a circus aint all that bad for ppl, but do u have to schedule it before WC ??

Spacescreamer said:
Why all the explanation part..?
To seperate the sport bit from the national pride bit.

Was saying more priority should be given to the former.

chennai vs mumbai or australia vs india

Two teams playing nothing more :)

Spacescreamer said:
i simply said you support mumbai, i support chennai.. ha one day ur team loses and one day mine..
players get exposed to injuries and by your own account, we dont have too many players in the trunk to spare.
In the end India will end up getting the boot.
Now who wins?
In the short run maybe but what about the long run ?

Spacescreamer said:
Playing a circus aint all that bad for ppl, but do u have to schedule it before WC ??
let things develop and if the pressure mounts for it change it will happen.

This is all results driven in the end.

Back