Total PSP noob !! Help !!

Havok

Adept
I am planning to buy a PSP Slim this weekend.

can someone clarify these doubts.

1) Can we install CFW in psp slim without using PSP Phat ??
what r the requirements for doing that ??

2) How costly are UMD's ???

3) Wht are the advantages of installing CFW ??

i have read the stickies but still a bit scared abt bricking the PSP hence these questions

1) Yes U can install the cfw w/o using a psp phat
but u ll have to either:
a) Purchase another battery, hard mod it and then install the cfw
or
b) Pay some cash to somebody to do it for u.

U cannot simply install the cfw like a program on a computer.

2) UMD games are in the range of Rs 1000-2000 , +/- Rs 200

3) U can install various plugins on ur psp once on a cfw.
i been using my psp as an e book reader mostly .. usin Bookr.
u can google out the list of plugins available for the psp.

Ofcource, the biggest plus factor being that u can play ISO/CSO game files off the mem stick.
Once u have installed the cfw, back up the nand data of the psp, and u dont ever need to worry abt bricking ur psp..

1. You don't need a phat for installation. You just need a phat pandora's battery (slim battery doesn't work - don't even try it), and a PSP with CFW already installed. Using this battery, you can create a Pandora stick, and then you are ready to free your PSP slim !

2. UMD's - Never bought them ! PSP sells so much because CFW can be installed on it easily, and all *ahem* games can be run apart from numerous applications like music, movies, comic book reader etc. Price of GOW Chains of Olympus is around 40 $.

3. You are free to do whatever you choose ! Run NES games, use it as a multimedia device, and play gazillions of games of all different genres without any hassles ! But you have to be uber careful while installing CFW - if you make the slightest mistake, you might brick it. Better get it done by someone experienced. I think "nuke" does it here on TE.

I hope that helped.
EDIT: I would also like to add, if you are installing CFW, just make sure that you buy an original Pro Duo Memory stick. There are many fakes around, which are difficult to discern.
~M

Where can we get pandoras battery in india ???

Anyone in Hyd willing to install CFW on my Slim ?

or

does anyone know where can i get it done in HYD?

Hi Dark Messiah.I recently got my PSP modded at Ambrit video game in Koti,first floor in the lane next the Supreme Audio/Video store.I paid 500 bucks for the same.Get the latest version of CFW installed.

The guy there charges arnd 100 bucks to load a single psp iso image onto ur mem stick.But u can always download these iso images off the net for free.Get atleast a 4GB mem stick pro duo if not a 8GB one and do try Tekken Dark Resurrection and God of War ,its gr8 fun.

Pls dont buy a fake mem stick coz its not worth the risk over a few hundred bucks.Get atleast Sandisk 4GB pro duo card at CTC for Rs.1650 which comes with a 5yr warranty.The 8GB one shud be arnd Rs.3500.

Was it a PSP Slim or PSP phat ?

where did u buy the PSP from ?

amigoatul said:
Hi Dark Messiah.I recently got my PSP modded at Ambrit video game in Koti,first floor in the lane next the Supreme Audio/Video store.I paid 500 bucks for the same.Get the latest version of CFW installed.

The guy there charges arnd 100 bucks to load a single psp iso image onto ur mem stick.But u can always download these iso images off the net for free.Get atleast a 4GB mem stick pro duo if not a 8GB one and do try Tekken Dark Resurrection and God of War ,its gr8 fun.

Pls dont buy a fake mem stick coz its not worth the risk over a few hundred bucks.Get atleast Sandisk 4GB pro duo card at CTC for Rs.1650 which comes with a 5yr warranty.The 8GB one shud be arnd Rs.3500.

PSP Phat is not sold by Sony anymore, so you can only get a used PSP Phat. PSP Slim is what sells everywhere now. Its official price was 8990 some time back.

One more question buddies

Assuming that i mod it and some thing goes wrong, is it possible to brick the "PSP for ever"
or
can it be brought back with the help of pandora battery in any case ?

I am absolutely noob and scared that my 8k will go down the train

With the help of the pandora battery , you can always fix it . This applies to PSP slim

btw, the modding part in the first place will require Pandora battery.

Dark Messiah said:
Assuming that i mod it and some thing goes wrong, is it possible to brick the "PSP for ever"
or
can it be brought back with the help of pandora battery in any case ?

I am absolutely noob and scared that my 8k will go down the train

Were u reading my first post while speaking to ur girlfriend ..??

U SHD BACK UR NAND DATA...
either during modding .. or afterwards..
Once u done that, there wdnt be anything sch as PERMANENT Brick for u..

And who said u gonna get it for 8k ? it ll be prolly for 8.4k from a non sony world place.
then u got to take into consideration the following:

1) 4GB mem stick
thats the least u wanna have.. cuz once u get used to the reading up novel/comix.. There is never gonna be anything like "Too Mch Free Memory"
Price: ~1700/-

2) Screen Protector
Wdnt wanna get ur lovely psp screen scratech about now ... wd u ?
Price: ~100/-

3) Hard Case
With the lovely glossy finish all over, u mite drop it ..
Price: Logitech playgear ~300/-

Obv the last two are optional , bt i guess u gonna get em anyhow.. atleast the first two..
So be ready to pony up some extra cash and not just the deflated figure of 8k.

Thanks for the Replies buddies,

Lets see what happens, i am planning to buy it this friday or saturday

Have to find someone to mod it in Hyd thats it.

Any guide on how to take Nand Dump ???

^^^If i'm not mistaken then the dump can be taken by using the Pandora while modding.

U can take it right before starting the modding on to the mem stick.

If u gonna get it done by somebody, ask him to do it for u.. i think u have to press [] button at the apt time / wen asked.
Once u put the battery and memory stick in your PSP, follow the directions that show up.
X to install CFW,
O to install official 3.71 firmware
[] to back up nand I believe.

Or

After u have got the cfw running, simply use this tool :
Open_Nand_Dumper_3_1__1__1_.xx.zip (u ll have to google the live link)
while dumping the nand data, if the msg shows up BAD BLOCKS , dun worry, just ignore.
Firstly, Get the scene cleared, as to whos gonna put the cfw on ur psp, then accordingly steps can be taken.

it's easy and safe to use naa? I am in office right now, so will download it at home.

One more query:

I have 3.71 M33-2. How can i upgrade to the latest custom firmware? I want install the latest upcoming firmware which will have music enhancements.

You can get a modded PSP for 8.5 to 9k. No need to arrange for the Pandora battery. And once it is modded you can easily update the CFW yourself.

montylee said:
it's easy and safe to use naa? I am in office right now, so will download it at home.

One more query:
I have 3.71 M33-2. How can i upgrade to the latest custom firmware? I want install the latest upcoming firmware which will have music enhancements.

you realize that the music 'enhancements' are about 3 visualizations right?

in any case this is the easiest way to upgrade - PSP-Hacks.com / Stallone's Master Thread ~ Custom Firmware, Cool Apps, and More

the new 4.05 cfw isn't out though, and somehow i get the feeling we won't be seeing it anyway. the upgrade is too minimal to bother with a new cfw

Back