Where should I make investments?

Many good enlightening posts here I would llike to put my few thoughts.

As you are young and age is on your side you can go for a bir of risk in your investment horizon.

But first I need to know your tax bracket (I mean on average 10% / 20% or 30%)

PPF : As you are a first time investor, this is the best and most secure investment you can have in your portfolio. Right now it gives yearly 8.2% interest compounded annually) you can put in 100000 every year.

If you are not looking at much headache of managing and tracking your investments, you must use all your 80 C limits in this. As this is the only instrument that will stay in EEE segment post implementation of DTC.

Also as its by GOI you are sure of getting your money back unless India goes bankrupt 9In such scenario your money would be useless).

In PPF you can not withdraw your money totally, You can do partial withdrawal after full 7 years of account opening, and you can get loan after 5 years of running account. In a sense you have keep your money if you loose your money somewhere else senselessly.

Insurance : As every one said term plan is the way to go. You can not get returns from Insurance while you are living , you can insure your family safety in case of your untimely death. Neverever I say again loudly NEVEREVER fall in to the trap of excel sheets of returns indications of ULIPs (Equity market based insurance policies).

FDs : They are secured guaranteed return instruments, good for short term planning, still if you fall in higher tax bracket its not proper instrument as your interest income is taxed as per your taxation slabs. They offer quick access, easy availability and instant withdrawal so you should keep your 3 months expense amount in FD.

Mutual funds : Its the best and proper way of investing by a beginner.

They are of two 3 types, Equity (which invest in stocks on your behalf), Debt (Which invest in money market instruments like Govt. bonds, T-Bills, Commercial Papers) (in a sense a risky kind of FD). and Balanced funds which have a mix of both.

Right now Long term profit from stocks and equity mutual fund is tax free so if you keep your investments more than 1 year and you get profit you will not be taxed on profit (principal you have been taxed already in the income year)

So what you should do is select 2 balanced funds (like HDFC Prudence, Birla Sunlife Balanced fund, ICICI Balanced fund) and keep your investment there for a quarter or two, use the option of monthly dividend Reinvestment (If you are in 30% bracket it will be more tax friendly).

Another option is you go for bond fund if you intend to use the money in 6-12 months (good option is Birla Sunlife Dynamic Bond Fund)

After 3/6 months when your research is matured and you ar ready to take risk you should think of equity mutual funds.

There must be many terms here which you may not know the technical details, feel free to ask.

I am going on vacation so may not answer from 22nd onwards will update as and when I return. :)

Thanks a lot for the pointers @medpal. Definitely going in for PPF after getting the paycheck. I fall in the 20% category for taxation.
While I do understand the concept of MFs, how do I go about it ? FundsIndia ? Which site is currently a good one for managing them ? I use ValueResearchOnline for tracking dad's fund but find myself a bit finacially challenged when seeing all the different tabs there.

Doc the statement is not entirely correct, Gbond, Tbills have the lowest risk associated. The risk is the same as a PSU bank FD, the difference being they are highly liquid, and you are not locked into any period. Commercial paper of corporates is a different story altogether.

However if he is just starting to invest I guess he should stick with equity index funds, and money market funds. Not a big fan of PPF due to a large lock in period, and the rate of interest is not very enticing too.
Equity Index funds, yeah. I'm gonna go again through this thread because I keep on forgetting things (having 10 hour induction days !). But IIRC, Equity Index funds are the likes of Nifty Beas, eh ? I plan on investing in them for sure, but only after I save some capital for emergencies.
Also what are money market funds ?

If you ask me think this as a fund for your son or grandson.

At start you will dislike PPF.But when say you already have 20-30 lakh principal corpus in PPF.Than you will really love.

Also the 15 year lock in is for first 15 years.Than you can extend it at a period of 5 years.

Lets say you start it now,15 years complete..Thrice you extend it upto 5years each..Also touchwood you never needed the sum.Than you transfer that sum to your child or grandchild.They can get same tax benefit plus for them lock in will continue for 5 years and not 15 years.If you follow the present rule of 1 lakh sum each year on time and 8.8% which is the present % of return.After 30 years sum will be 1 crore 30 lakhs.

You pass it on to your child .He adds 1 lakh gets his tax benefit and also gets 12 lakhs interest and that too totally tax free and some goes to 1 cr 45 lakhs.In short compounding power seen in long term.
Yeah, the compounding power is awesome. Only hiccup is to wait for such a long time !

Last edited by a moderator:
If you ask me think this as a fund for your son or grandson.

At start you will dislike PPF.But when say you already have 20-30 lakh principal corpus in PPF.Than you will really love.

Also the 15 year lock in is for first 15 years.Than you can extend it at a period of 5 years.

Lets say you start it now,15 years complete..Thrice you extend it upto 5years each..Also touchwood you never needed the sum.Than you transfer that sum to your child or grandchild.They can get same tax benefit plus for them lock in will continue for 5 years and not 15 years.If you follow the present rule of 1 lakh sum each year on time and 8.8% which is the present % of return.After 30 years sum will be 1 crore 30 lakhs.

You pass it on to your child .He adds 1 lakh gets his tax benefit and also gets 12 lakhs interest and that too totally tax free and sum goes to 1 cr 45 lakhs.In short compounding power seen in long term.

For the bolded part, are you sure we can transfer the PPF amount from one PPF account (self) another PPF account (son). Also, in that case, should that be a new PPF account or can I transfer the amount to an existing PPF account (assuming I open a PPF account for the son as soon as he is born and transfer my PPF amount to his account upon my retirement). Do you have some links for the same, tried googling it but could not find any info.

If this is possible, then this is one of the best investments I can leave for my future children. Thanks for this tip!!

For the bolded part, are you sure we can transfer the PPF amount from one PPF account (self) another PPF account (son). Also, in that case, should that be a new PPF account or can I transfer the amount to an existing PPF account (assuming I open a PPF account for the son as soon as he is born and transfer my PPF amount to his account upon my retirement). Do you have some links for the same, tried googling it but could not find any info.

If this is possible, then this is one of the best investments I can leave for my future children. Thanks for this tip!!

Oops i made a blunder.

Transferring between individuals not allowed.Check transfer rule here.

PPF Account - Salient Features.

I need to edit or delete past posts.

But still if you say you start it at 18 years of age still it will work as wonders in retirement .But yes returns will be on papers as you cant partially redempt the interest for use.But till you earn contribute and enjoy tax benefits and do similar savings in mutual funds.

you know if i could turn back time to when i was 25 i would probably taken a loan and bought a one bedroom apartment , given on rent and paid emi also....5-10 years you would have one property and get ready for another one , forget all these funds :)...just a tangential idea

even i thought of this idea, but somehow am not sure. :)

@alekhkhanna You can invest in mutual funds through Fundsindia, N J India Invest, Karvy, Prudent, Your broker, even your relationships manager at Bank (all banks), Some neighbour advisor (Like many in insurance there must be someone in mutual fund) Or you can even go to local office of mutual fund directly and invest. All provide online access and transaction facilities.
@Aces170 individual investor cant go and hunt the t-bills and bonds so bond fund is a good option and liquidity is also good plus there is a cushion of diversification so low fluctuation.

@alekhkhanna You can invest in mutual funds through Fundsindia, N J India Invest, Karvy, Prudent, Your broker, even your relationships manager at Bank (all banks), Some neighbour advisor (Like many in insurance there must be someone in mutual fund) Or you can even go to local office of mutual fund directly and invest. All provide online access and transaction facilities.
@Aces170 individual investor cant go and hunt the t-bills and bonds so bond fund is a good option and liquidity is also good plus there is a cushion of diversification so low fluctuation.
I somehow fancy going through an online portal rather than going to a broker. FundsIndia seems a general consensus. Will go with it ! Thanks.

I have 3 ULIP plans from different companies.. been 4 uears since investing in them. If its no good, hw do I exit from it??? :-(

Not the expert on this, some quick googling got the following links. I recommend doing some more research on your exact plans to figure out how to surrender/terminate them and the calculations on even if it makes sense for you to stop it, the loss may be high.

When to kiss your Ulip goodbye - Money - DNA

ULIP Underperformance: Stunted By Guarantees*|*Capital Mind

How to manage ULIPS !!

Not the expert on this, some quick googling got the following links. I recommend doing some more research on your exact plans to figure out how to surrender/terminate them and the calculations on even if it makes sense for you to stop it, the loss may be high.

When to kiss your Ulip goodbye - Money - DNA

ULIP Underperformance: Stunted By Guarantees*|*Capital Mind

How to manage ULIPS !!

Hmm... Thanks for the links.. will check them out... Homework to be done,...

I have 3 ULIP plans from different companies.. been 4 uears since investing in them. If its no good, hw do I exit from it??? :-(

Complete 5 years.

Else some surrender charge may apply.

To exit just make a visit to their branch office and state you want to withdraw the sum.They will try best to divert sum to other plans.Give good reason that you need the money.

For me reason was i want to buy home hence payment needed.You cant invest money in such scenario in other funds.They knew their trick wont help.

Also i found out for selling they have all branches.But for exit there is single branch which does the job.I had to waste lot of time to redempt my funds.

I have been following this thread and have made the following investment / insurance plan for myself:

1. Get a Medical Insurance for myself and family - Floater Policy - I was thinking of ICICI Lombard. Please suggest any other good options.

2. Get a Term Insurance (Life) for myself for a good amount of around 1Cr or so. Please suggest some good company. I was thinking of ICICI Prudential.

3. Invest monthly/yearly in Mutual Funds for long term. Roughly around 5-10K per month. Can somebody suggest some good Mutual Funds to start with?

4. Invest a decent handy sum in a Fixed Deposit.

These should take care of my needs and emergencies as of now. Please suggest. Thanks.

I have been following this thread and have made the following investment / insurance plan for myself:

1. Get a Medical Insurance for myself and family - Floater Policy - I was thinking of ICICI Lombard. Please suggest any other good options.

2. Get a Term Insurance (Life) for myself for a good amount of around 1Cr or so. Please suggest some good company. I was thinking of ICICI Prudential.

3. Invest monthly/yearly in Mutual Funds for long term. Roughly around 5-10K per month. Can somebody suggest some good Mutual Funds to start with?

4. Invest a decent handy sum in a Fixed Deposit.
These should take care of my needs and emergencies as of now. Please suggest. Thanks.

1::ICICI well personally i never had any personally dealed with them. But i have seen 2 incidents in family friends where without much reason they can celled insurance payment.You need to check with someone who have one near you.

2::Many new players including HDFC can be looked.For more details check jagoinvestor site to decide one.Also see review about the company on net before finalizing one.

3::MF depends whether you wish to put money in large caps,mid-caps,or pharma(which now being said will see big growths).
Else the favorite of all is HDFCtop 200 .

4::Fd divide in equal parts and keep in 2-3 banks.Also keep some in liquid fund or FMP.

I would suggest to get the PPF a/c from SBI, it has the option to send money electronically to the a/c. I would prefer to keep such ac in nationalised banks.

Almost all banks allow you to see the balances online. But investing is something very few offer/

Good Decision.
There are many factors to be reviewed before buying one.Like the Claim settlement ratio,proper information sharing,etc.Check this
How to choose a term insurance plan - Economic Times
How to chose best term Insurance
If you are really not concerned of where to invest,get an SIP(Systematic investment planning).I have an Axis SIP,had bought when I started earning and wasn't aware of the jargon's and wasn't aware of investment options.No hassles and peace of mind.

Thanks all for the replies. I have decided to look at the following:

1. HDFC Click 2 Protect Life Insurance Plan for a cover of around 1 CR. Premium is coming to around 11K per annum. HDFC has the highest/second highest claim settlement ratio this year.

2. I am thinking of opening a PPF A/c also with SBI or ICICI and start investing a small amount in it monthly or yearly.

3. Medical Insurance I have still not finalized which to get. I am thinking of HDFC or ICICI but would appreciate feedback. ICICI Lombard has an extensive tie up with all leading hospitals across the country but I don't know how good is their settlement process here.

4. I am also thinking of starting a monthly SIP but I don't know which one to go for. Please advise here. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

And I also noticed that the HDFC Click 2 Protect Plan does not have an Accidental Death Benefit feature. The ICICI ICare plans do have an option for this. What do you guys suggest?

Are the beneficiaries financially dependent on your right now? Do they have anyone else to go to in case of your death? Are you servicing a loan, for which the beneficiaries of this life insurance are guarantors?

If not, then this is a waste of money.

Are the beneficiaries financially dependent on your right now? Do they have anyone else to go to in case of your death? Are you servicing a loan, for which the beneficiaries of this life insurance are guarantors?

If not, then this is a waste of money.

Yes. The beneficiaries are financially dependent on me right now. So should I go for it?

Term insurance is required if there is a family that is with you, doesn't matter whether they are self sufficient or not. If they are, it wouldn't harm them if they got some extra money in the unfortunate event of a demise.

Back