Audio Which speakers will be best suited for Denon 1910 AVR

Hi Folks,

I am planning to buy the Denon 1910 receiver pretty soon, need advice on buying speakers which are best suited for the receiver. I am fairly new to the whole Hi Fi/HT thingy but i've managed to narrow down on a few speakers going by the reviews i have been reading online. My requirements are listed below:

Budget: 30-50 K

Form Factor: Satellite's or Bookshelf. Would have loved to go with Tower types but don't have the space.

Used For: Listening to Rock, watching movies etc

Models Shortlisted: Definitive Technology's Pro Cinema 800/1000, Wharfedale Diamond 10.2's

I have not gone for auditioning any speakers yet, just going by the online reviews i have shortlisted the above 2. It'll be of great help if i have narrowed down on a bunch of speakers before going for the actual test's as there's a whole world of speakers to choose from. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.:)

Wharf dales are good and shall gel well, donno abt Definitive pro cinema though.

Any chance to increase ur budget. Yess!!! its all about budget increase dude:rofl::tongue:

Let us know.

Thanks for your replies guys.

Eventually i will want to have a surround sound setup if not now, seeing that there is a budget constraint. How about i just go with the main speakers for now and build on it step by step. Whaddya guys think?

50K for front speakers will get you the KEF IQ50 or the PSB Image T45, both pretty nice small floorstanders. It's not a small budget by any means - these are mini-floorstanders, not much bigger than a standmount with a stand.

For the same money, you could check with Cadence if they will sell you a pre-used Arista bookshelf. Those are superb speakers if you don't mind buying used (new is ~70K now, but used to be 35K a few years ago).

If you like the sound/label of B&W, the 685 will fit your budget (though it is very overpriced in India). Be aware they are short on bass, as will all standmounts in your price range.

Another very good candidate is the Epos ELS12, a little exciting but very nice presentation, specially for rock. I absolutely loved the sound of the 12.2 when I heard it, it's not the last word in refinement but is very lively and competent.

If you would like to add a subwoofer to the setup, you could drop down to the Usher S-520 (~25K) and plonk in a nice subwoofer for the balance. Later the S-520s can move to the surround channel duty if you upgrade, or can remain in place if you just add some cheaper surrounds. The S-520s are a killer deal in India, internationally they are similarly priced to the B&W 685 but in India they sell at ~ half the price. And they are truly awesome speakers, but do need a subwoofer if you like to play loud and like a lot of bass in your music.

These are from a list of speakers I have heard in your budget range. There are obviously more - but I would urge you to drop the Wharfies. They are good speakers if your budget is around 20K. There are better options in your price range - even the PSB Image B25 with a subwoofer is a very good choice (though it isn't as smooth as the Usher and costs a little more).

Maybe i wasn't very clear in my previous posts. Let me rephrase; My budget on the complete setup is not more than 1 - 1.25 Lacs extending over a period of time. Now, since i am already shelling out about 35K on the receiver, i'm left with about 50K which i can spend at the moment. So, i was thinking that i'll prolly go with the front speakers and the sub-woofer for now and add the centre and the surround's at a later time.

I can't go with Floor Standers, Standmounts or Towers as i just dont have the space. They have to be Satellites or wall mounted Book Shelves and they should sound just as swell while listning to the Eagles :p

So there it is, front speakers and sub-woofer under 50K anyone ? :)

Cranky, the Usher's you suggested fit right into my budget, are they readily available in India and also do u have any sub's in mind that'll gel along nicely with them? and hey thanks for ur suggestions !:D apreciate it

The Ushers cost about 50K but are not earthquake generators, only a single 10" driver.

If you need a thumping hometheater presentation, the Polk PSW600 should be up your alley. If you want a more musical sub, the Usher will cut it but you have got to think about the money, though the distri is quite reasonable in these matters. And yes, they are very easily available in India. There is an Authorised distri on another forum, PM me for the URL. There is a bass module that comes with the S-520, and they are being released very shortly.

That, I'm afraid, is all the good news I have for you.

Wall-mounting regular 'bookshelf' speakers will sound bad. Terrible, actually. It can be done, but you have to block off the ports and the soundstage will be heavily degraded because the speaker is performing, literally, with its back to the wall. There is really no such thing as a 'bookshelf' speaker as most small speakers sound horrible and boomy when placed on a typical 'book shelf' in a cabinet. They are meant to be used on dedicated stands, the word BS (pun intended) is colloquial, not indicative.

If you're looking for Bose-style cubes, there are some higher end options with Anthony Gallo, but those need subs for sure. They are designed for wall mounting, and give you a nice taste of high-end sound, they're also about 30K a pair IIRC - and the distri/dealer is based in Pune itself.

FWIW, I wasn't suggesting Bose, but people like small cubes so Anthony Gallo are a decent option, with somewhat flat response out of a single 3" driver and a very nice golf-ball cabinet. Additionally, regular box speakers perform very poorly against a wall.

If you're talking about the Uni-Q eggs, I've never heard them, only seen. IIRC they're about 12K each and can be purchased in singles, but I hesitate to tak about things I haven't heard.

The IQ30 are reasonable performers (the best of the entire 'remastered' IQ line), but against a wall they won't sound too great (none of the regular boxen will). My opinions of KEF generally get worse as the line goes higher, I think at the ~80K asking price of the IQ90 it is handily beatn by almost every other speaker in its range.

Not really, the eggs were quoted at 12K each so they're right on budget. How do yours do for music? Need a sub? How well do they integrate - can they handle an 80Hz XO? Or is it fine without a sub?

They're fine for me without a sub. I've used an 80Hz crossover, manually set. Didn't allow Audyssey for that. It was pointing to a 100-110Hz crossover.

Adding a sub at 120hz XO though,adds a good deal of muscle for movies. It's a KEF sub, 250W rated. Due to space constraints, they're not normally used with the sub, as it's stored at a different location. Music is quite good without.

In ur budget,

1. Wharfe 9.2 as Front 14K
2. Wharfe WH2 as cenre+surr 10K
3. Sub Polk 110 13K, Wharfe PC10 15K, Sonodyne But, my pick would be Wharfe 150 18K even if u have to wait for sometime.

Ok guys,

Finally found the time to demo a few speakers. Tried a few bookshelves / satellites they were alright while watching movies but paled in comparison to floor-standers when it came to music. So, i have finally decided up my budget a little and go with the floorstanders (Heck, i'll make space for them even if i have to throw out the sofa! :eek:hyeah:) starting with 2 front towers first.

Tried only the Jamo's today. The C-407's sound brilliant with movies and with any genre of music, i really loved them but when i came back home to read some reviews, i could hardly find any on the internet. Do you guys know why?

Will be going to another dealer to try out the Polk Audio towers tomorrow. Now that i have decided to increase my budget to about 50K and switch over to towers, i'd appreciate any help on brands/models that you guys can suggest.

How about the Polk RTi series? I was quoted about 27K for a pair in Pune. For the A3 and 17K for the A1s.

Had a chance to audition them (A1 as well as A3) and was fairly stisfied when compared against the PSB alpha B1s. The A3 had a better lower end for obvious reasons. The A1 too did not disappoint at all. And at that price-point (Without bargain) these are serious competition IMO.

EDIT: Sorry dint see you are into towers now. These are bookshelves.

Mission M34i
25k at vijaysales
Also check out M35i which have 3 mid bass drivers :eek:hyeah:

But i don't think floor stander are good for small rooms. They sound good in demo showrooms which are huge. Whats your room size?

Sarang, any suggestions for Polk towers?

Sujit, i'll be installing the speakers in my living room which is about 20x15 feet, its fairly large then the demo room where i auditioned the Jamo's

@prashaant: Did not audition any of the the Polk FS as do not have enough room to accomodate them. So I am more focused on the BSs right now.

Have you purchased the reciever yet? If yes then tug it along to the auditions it'll be best to see how a speaker playes with your chosen equipment.

^ I'll prolly be buying the AVR this week, thanks for your help anyway.

Guys, why are there no reviews on Jamo products anywhere on the net? I really wanna go with the Jamo C-407's but seeing that i can't find any reviews i am a bit skeptical.

Back