Audio Which speakers will be best suited for Denon 1910 AVR

praashant said:
^ I'll prolly be buying the AVR this week, thanks for your help anyway.

Guys, why are there no reviews on Jamo products anywhere on the net? I really wanna go with the Jamo C-407's but seeing that i can't find any reviews i am a bit skeptical.

Stay away from entry level Jamos, chinese, mass produced, plasticky POS. Stick to Cranky's suggestion and do audition the Ushers, IMHO you won't regret the audition.

If music is important, try demoing a Marantz receiver. Denon is generally very bright with not so warm midrange freqs.. One fella on East Street has Mission speakers so you can check those out there.

imoen said:
If music is important, try demoing a Marantz receiver. Denon is generally very bright with not so warm midrange freqs.. One fella on East Street has Mission speakers so you can check those out there.

Do you mean oceanic? Between MG road and East street?

^^No. that's the guy who sells Cadence stuff right? :) This guy is opp. East Street Cafe. "Sound and Vision" is the name, methinks. 22 East Street Galleria.

praashant said:
@Sarang, you know of any place i could audition the Ushers in Pune?

Anyone has any experience with Def Tech's Pro Cinema 800's?

They are virtually unheard of in Pune. :(

For good stuff you have to head west (read mumbai :))

No demo for Ushers in Mumbai, but you can talk to the distri, they could probably send you to a owner's house in Mumbai. The distri is based in Bangalore, and they have a presence in Delhi, but not otherwise.

The S520 does have a center channel, but for subwoofers I would recommend you look elsewhere.

Hey guys....

After a lot of research and a whole lotta auditioning i'm torn between these 2

B&W 685's = 47,000 best quote received so far (This is on a higher side compared to the price its available for in the US or UK. Its retailing for $ 650 a pair)

or

Polk Audio LSi9 = 56,000 MRP at Pro FX, haven't haggled yet (This price seems almost on par with the dollar rates. Its retailing for $ 1000 a pair)

Denon 1910 Receiver = 37,000 Official / 30,000 Gray

The speakers are bookshelves (Wife will not allow the towers to spoil her decor :( )as many of you would already know and i've had the chance to audition the B&W's in Pune. While i was in Mumbai demoing various speakers i tried the KEF 3005's, Focal Audio's Dome 5.1 and Polk Audio's RTi 3A's. I wanted to go with a complete 5.1 package in 1 go as i don't get the time to venture out and try and research various speakers to match my taste. Both the 5.1 speaker set-up were awesum with movies but somehow did not deliver while playing music. Since i did not have much choice i almost settled for the KEF's till the sales person suggested i try the Polk's. Well tbh i was blown away by the RTI A3's and almost struck the deal then and there.

Once back in Pune I wanted to give a shot to some more Book shelves. So, i headed out to AVXellence and tried the B&W 685's and man they were mind blowing ! All aspects were perfectly reproduced, I'm completely sold on these. Didn't get a chance to audition the top end Polk LSi's as they were not available for demo but going by what i have been reading online, these 2 sound almost equally good. Now, i gotta decide between these 2 models.

So my queries are:

i) The quotes i have received, are they good or can i get better prices, if yes, then where should i look?

ii) I plan to invest in the fronts, receiver and a sub for now and gradually add the centre and the surrounds later. Which sub will go with the speakers i have short listed.

iii) Should i be auditioning the LSi's or can i trust what people are saying online.

iv) Is the choice of receiver spot on to drive either of the 2 pairs or there's something that i have missed. Also, will it be an issue if i get it from gray.

Any help will be appreciated.

The Polks are wonderful. You can audition in Mumbai, but between the 685 and the LSi9, it's really no contest across the board. The Polks are far and away the better of the two, for both movies and music. If you liked the RTi (I don't), you'll be stunned by the Polks.

However, don't buy blind. Mumbai is two hours' drive and they always have the LSi on demo. You may be able to score a little better price.

The B&W are overpriced for what they do.

^^ So basically y'all are advising against the B&W's ?? Thought the brand name and the legacy behind it was enough to make a consumer sway towards them blindly.

Ahh dang, will have to go to Mumbai again to try them out. Any of ya know of any dealers in Mumbai who'll have both on demo for a side by side comparo?

^^B&W below 800 series is mostly junk. Even the 805S is pretty crappy. Only the diamond dome speakers cut in as far as i'm concerned. The rest sound too brash and tinny to me. There's not one ounce of refinement.

Back