Budget 21-30k X570 motherboard with all bells but don't cost a hole in pocket suggestions needed.

Before I call it a night.

1. The chart assumes a lot of things, and sadly doesn't take into account heatsink design at all. Also, please, this is their opinion, not science. For example, the taichi can do 400A+ the titanium 250A+. Buildzoid decreed this himself. Then what good is the chart =) they even got the phase counts wrong on a few mobos. In a 3 piece phase set up, you have to look at the weakest link. It's good work, and I'm sure they're motivated and better educated, but the end result is misinformation. These are worst case figures... Running at 50C ambient, with low airflow stats, at best. Else they don't make sense.
2. When you say the x470 have better traces... It's marketing. There is an element of truth to it, though not the rule. X470 HAD to pick up the slack on the RAM speed deficit. To an extent, going daisy chain and further working on traces made the 2xxx ryzen just seem to clock better WRT RAM. Fact is, it helped hand in hand with a better IMC on the 2nd gen ryzen. Now if I can run 4000 MHz RAM on an x370 at nominal voltage, where did all that X470 marketing go? Its a lot of hash.
3. Sure, the x470 WILL OC higher than a x370 but we're now talking above the 3600 MHz point where by default the IF falls to half speed and the advantage of faster ram falls prey to the larger IF latency impact. If an x370 can run 3600 with ease, why look for 5000+support? We will have DDR5 soon.
4. Prices aren't going up. More manufacturers have joined the race. Hynix has 3600+ as does crucial. At the entry level Chinese manufs have caught up.

Just saw your posts.

X. Chipset.... Does not dictate motherboard format or size.
XI. Glad you're not going x570. Unwise else.
XII. BIOSes are not meant to be flashed unless there is compelling reason. Stable X470 and x370 boards got a routine update in dec18/ Jan 19 and then NOW for some new Apu releases and then ryzen 3000. Seeing as how the platform is new, updates will speed up and then slow down as they stabilize. We are assuming x370 won't get support. That's really not possible until am5. Esp for popular boards.

I'm in a similar boat as you with a Phenom 2 955 and thinking of upgrading to Ryzen. I'm going with a B450 Tomahawk for the motherboard, one of the boards with a better VRM out of the range and doesnt cost a lot of money.

I'd say get a X470 mobo with decent VRM that will support 105W CPUs and pretty much thats it. 3900x will run fine even on B350 motherboards with decent VRM and unless youre planning to overclock the processor to its limits or get into LN2 benching, expensive motherboards arent worth it. You can spend the extra dough on other bits which will bring actual perfomance to the table. Features wise even half decent motherboards have everything one needs anyway. Plus there aren't much benefits to overclocking Ryzen 3000 anyway so there's that.

Last edited:
Let's remember that instant power/current/ 105w rating is not accurate. For example. the 65W CPUs take 90W with PBO.
The 105W will take ~ 140W and ~ 140A max. Be prepared for that. Factor in capacitor aging and that in India we have dust and high ambients (25*C+)
You should be looking at 200W sustained load capacity on the mobo.
Mosfets can run @ 100*C.
That's not good, though, for PCB stress and a ton of other things.

Sorry to pile on this thread but any of you can comment whether the upcoming 16-core 105w CPU Ryzen 9 3950X will work (including under full stress/load) on an ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS motherboard?

Sorry to pile on this thread but any of you can comment whether the upcoming 16-core 105w CPU Ryzen 9 3950X will work (including under full stress/load) on an ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS motherboard?

TechPowerUp have tested a 3900X on B350-PLUS and it works well on air.

Technically 3950X should also be okay since they're in the same TDP classification but I'm sure TPU will re-test on the B350 and 3950X when its released for reviews.

Fun stuff, the x370 taichi I got is running 3600CL16 stable (2700% HCI memtest) so far.
And I got the 3600 ryzen to boost up to 4.5 GHz. Short lived, but making progress.

New EVGA 280 CLC arrived today. Let's see what it can do :)

Fun stuff, the x370 taichi I got is running 3600CL16 stable (2700% HCI memtest) so far.
And I got the 3600 ryzen to boost up to 4.5 GHz. Short lived, but making progress.

New EVGA 280 CLC arrived today. Let's see what it can do :)
Evga 280 CLC ???

Liquid cooler. Cat approves.
IMG-20190723-WA0041.jpg
IMG-20190723-WA0043.jpg

Liquid cooler. Cat approves.

Did you have to import it via Amazon Global or newegg?

BTW why did you pick this specific model? Is it a non-Asetek design?
I am a bit lazy about PC maintenance and have read too many reddit posts of all Asetek-based AIOs failing at one time or the other so I have a Noctua NH-U12S with 2x 2000 rpm IPCC NF-F12 fans on my 1700.
Hopefully it stands up to the 3900X I just got today. The newer NF-U12A is awesome but not available in India as of now.

The D series air coolers are too damn heavy for me.

D 14 le lo somehow then. I had it. IMBA.
Nah I got this through a friend in Chandigarh who gave it to my brother who gave it to my colleague and I've shipped it to someone who wanted it more than me in Chennai.

It's asetek. I specifically wanted asetek. You see, I had high ambitions of cooling a 2080 passively with this. Alas, sold my 2070 and am now looking for a 2060. Scaling down. Not like in the downsizing movie (horrible) but rather drawing the line. I have a 240mm on the cpu right now (IDK how but the new cooler master pumps are dead silent) and it's holding up OK ok. Now for Temps, my 3600 crosses 80C in no time. I hope you have better plans for your 3900x. I'll be getting a 3700x in a month and a half... But until then.... I'm not pushing this chip hard and I'll keep looking out for 280mm coolers.

D 14 le lo somehow then. I had it. IMBA.
Nah I got this through a friend in Chandigarh who gave it to my brother who gave it to my colleague and I've shipped it to someone who wanted it more than me in Chennai.

It's asetek. I specifically wanted asetek. You see, I had high ambitions of cooling a 2080 passively with this. Alas, sold my 2070 and am now looking for a 2060. Scaling down. Not like in the downsizing movie (horrible) but rather drawing the line. I have a 240mm on the cpu right now (IDK how but the new cooler master pumps are dead silent) and it's holding up OK ok. Now for Temps, my 3600 crosses 80C in no time. I hope you have better plans for your 3900x. I'll be getting a 3700x in a month and a half... But until then.... I'm not pushing this chip hard and I'll keep looking out for 280mm coolers.
So your friend from Chandigarh bought it form where ?

Back