ZTE Blade aka DELL XCD 35 aka Orange San Francisco Thread

Using Jellyfish RLS3b, damn this rom is fast! get double linpack scores compared to modaco or stock 2.1 rom. Homescreen lag reduced but still there.

I'm using FLB-Froyo G2 r5 and it is working very well. Battery life has improved a lot and live wallpapers also work very well without any lag

My need is to sync outlook contacts with phone.

I googled but could not find any software for that. Used samsung Galaxy S for a month and Kies did it. connect the phone to the comp, run Kies and do it. Not a single software to do it now? without exporting outlook contacts to CSV where we surely loose some details because all the fields are either not exported to CSV, or all the fields are not imported by google account. ???

When I moved my contacts from my Nokia phone, I exported the entire contacts as VCF files and later imported it on my ZTE Blade. Didn't go for the Google Contacts way as some of the contacts had more than 4-5 numbers and only 2-3 numbers were shown when synced with Google Contacts.

varkey said:
When I moved my contacts from my Nokia phone, I exported the entire contacts as VCF files and later imported it on my ZTE Blade. Didn't go for the Google Contacts way as some of the contacts had more than 4-5 numbers and only 2-3 numbers were shown when synced with Google Contacts.
And how did you do that?

Hey. Thanks. That's the info I wanted. :clap:

Lemme see what other formats I can play with other than VCF else VCF Zindabad. :)

Edit: It supports just VCFs.

just goto phone book in nokia => mark all => save to SD card. All contacts will be saved in vcf format in your SD card in contacts folder. Copy them to your android and import from sd card . Simple :p

@varkey

Done that. Thank you. It could not be simpler than this. :)

@gauviz

Thanks buddy for your input. BTW, I had done it before reading your post. :p

arun687 said:
^

In 2.1 deorangeated rom with live wallpapers disabled, the lag is almost nil. Do you have live wallpapers on?

It lags with pretty much any wallpaper. even the normal jpeg ones.

Hey ZTE blade Users, answer my these two questions :

1. It comes with 256K colors screen, where as Optimus One with 16M, is the difference is much noticeable ? how good it is for normal eyes ?

2. Does using Live wallpapers on this phone would result in lag ??

thank you :)

My ZTE Blade with de-orangeated ROM showed almost nil lag even with Live wallpapers enabled. I was using Launcher Pro.

Yesterday I switched to Japanese Jellyfish, and it is fairly fast even with all of the application in bloated version installed. USB and wireless tethering works flawlessly and all the APN for major Indian cell operators pre configure. So no reconfig of apn was reuquired for Airtel MTNL and Vodafone. Bad thing i that you can't edit those APN and you have to add anew one in case previous one does not works.

I've observed few problems though. The signal level indicators in db in Phone's about section is missing. So you can't monitor the actual signal level in db without any third party application.

Most of the pre-installed apps are with ads and you can not uninstall them cleanly without Systemapp remover (again a paid program). Deleting the apk files in system/app directory is a crude method to uninstall.

I've observed the improved in reception quality as shown by Signal bars, but I feel there is a problem with that. After update , most of the times I get full five bars at same place where I used to get 2 bars, and it suddenly drops to Zero levels at no signal zone. (My area has very bad signal levels).

Ringtone and media sound levels are also more.

mgdelhi said:
Any simple guide to install custom firmware?

Want to install "r8_update_de-orangeated_blade_signed.zip". Downloaded files.

This one is tooo detailed: 05/Jan: Installing the MoDaCo Custom ROM from scratch (and other ROMS) - Android @ MoDaCo

Hope this helps :

If you are working on windows - don't cd to your desktop - it is much simpler to work on the root of C drive

So in STEP 1, move the Fastboot.zip onto c:\

then right click on it and extract all

There will be a new directory called fastboot

Open a command window (or command prompt), and run these commands

CODE

c:

cd c:\fastboot

Now you can copy any files (the other .zips) and run the other commands in the open command window

It has been noted that if you are on windows and get stuck at "waiting for device" when using the fastboot-windows you should install divers: see News

Some users report these drivers work when the first dont : http://flibblesan.co.uk/android/zte_driver.zip

Sometimes switching to another USB port on your computer can solve the "waiting for device".

Stage 1: Install ClockworkMod - Using PC

Download fastboot (ROMraid Load Balancing)

http://loadbalancing.modaco.com/download.p...ul/fastboot.zip

(Check the Stage 1 top link to make sure this is the latest version)

Extract fastboot on your Desktop (windows users do it on the root of C drive)

Download 2.5.1.8: ClockworkMod Recovery

News

You can try the older version recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.9-blade.img if you really want.

Move the file recovery_clockwork_2.5.1.8_blade.img into the fastboot directory

Open a Terminal (or a command window if you are in Windows)

CODE

cd Desktop/fastboot

Windows alternative command cd c:\fastboot

CODE

md5sum recovery_clockwork_2.5.1.8_blade.img

Check that the outputted MD5 is: 20dcbd18aa26c7faf3f04ac7c694b56b

Turn off your phone and take out the battery. Unplug the phone from the PC / charger.

Replace the battery and turn the phone back on with 'volume up' held. The device will stay at the 'green android' screen.

Plug the phone into the PC.

Windows alternative command fastboot-windows flash recovery recovery_clockwork_2.5.1.8_blade.img

MAC if you see the error : ERROR: could not get pipe properties rebooting... you should be able to ignore it - check you can get into clockwork (see step 2)

all If you get "writing 'recovery'… FAILED (status read failed (Protocol error)) android" change the usb cable, and try another USB port.

all If you keep getting waiting for device and you have tried installing drivers - then you could try the alternate Stage 1 (see below) which does not use fastboot.

Windows alternative command fastboot-windows reboot)

Wait for the phone to reboot

You can now use the Volume Down button (when powering on the phone) to get to the ClockworkMod menu.

Plug your phone into the USB cable, and let the SD card mount (this works without any drivers in Ubuntu).

Copy the r4-update-modacocustomrom-blade-signed.zip file off your desktop into the ROOT of the sdcard (this means copy it onto the sdcard - but not into any of the directories)

Turn off your phone and take out the battery. Unplug the phone from the PC / charger.

Replace the battery and turn the phone back on with 'volume down' held. The device will go to a ClockworkMod Recovery menu screen.

If you want to make a complete backup of your entire phone : use the clockwork option backup - this will put a FULL backup of your device onto the SDCard (in a directory called clockwork)

(the screen may be upside down) dont panic this is correct

* Use Volume Up / Down to move between options

* Use Home key to select an option (you may need to hit home twice to select the option)

* Use Back key to go back

Choose the 5th item "install zip fom sdcard"

Choose the 2nd item "choose zip from sdcard"

Choose the file "r4-update-modacocustomrom-blade-signed.zip"

Choose the various yes options

When complete use the back button to get back to the main menu

* From the clockwork menu choose: Clear Cache

* From the clockwork menu choose: Factory Reset

Choose the 1st item "reboot now"

Copied and pasted from Modaco.

bigbyte said:
I've observed few problems though. The signal level indicators in db in Phone's about section is missing. So you can't monitor the actual signal level in db without any third party application.

Most of the pre-installed apps are with ads and you can not uninstall them cleanly without Systemapp remover (again a paid program). Deleting the apk files in system/app directory is a crude method to uninstall.

I've observed the improved in reception quality as shown by Signal bars, but I feel there is a problem with that. After update , most of the times I get full five bars at same place where I used to get 2 bars, and it suddenly drops to Zero levels at no signal zone. (My area has very bad signal levels).

Ringtone and media sound levels are also more.

Not a big problem for me and I am okay with these :)

how do you find it's camera & music ? and also touch response ?

Back